Young Perthrites Prefer Aparment Unit Living?

Dear All,

1. The WA Planning and Infrastructure Minister, Alannah MacTiernan is reported as saying that " Perth is seeing a shfit in attitude towards apartment and unit living. Many younger buyers were opting to live in units close to the city, rather than buy a house in the suburbs because of lifestyles reasons".

2. She goes on to add, "Planning policies allowed that by providing a wider diversity of housing".

3. Alannah further claims that " it's not just affordability driving people inot apartments and units. For examples, there are some fantastic house and land packages in Armadale for A$300,000 but many younger people would rather spend A$400,000-$450,000 to live closer to town".

4. Alannah further observes that "WA was still behind other States in terms of having more medium and high-density homes. We are a bit density averse in WA but that is changing and we are seeing pockets of density housing spring up. We don't want to ruin the fabric in existing suburbs by putting in huge amount of high rise, so we prefer to build in smaller nodes in these suburbs.

5. Do you agree with Alannah's views? Why?

6. Where are the new hotspots nearor/and around the Perth CBD area where we can expect these medium density unit and apartment living to emerge and further "popularise" themselves in the near future?

7. For your further comments and discussion, please.

8. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Convenience / lifestyle v space / different lifestyle. Young people who don't have kids yet would prefer inner city places because of access to bars, cafes, and a shorter commute to the city. As they get older, have families, etc. bars aren't as big an attraction (I find them noisy and dangerous because of drunk people and wouldn't want to live near one) and they want space for kids and a more sedate lifestyle. Then they'll buy houses and will have to live further out.

It's no big surprise, surely. Hasn't this 'young people are different' thing been done to death already? Young people ARE different. But when they get older and have families, they'll behave like generations of people before them who had families: less going out, want more space. It's just that this current generation is having families later than before, and suddenly they're being treated like some new species.

I'm 30, and my friends are entering the having kids stage. Eventually, they're going to need more space and move to bigger places.
Alex

Dear Alex,

1. While I can agree with your views, I'm personally not sure about the younger Perthrites's preference for CBD and unit living, at this point in time.

2. What I do see, learn and now know is that in WA, many of the older Perthrites are "dead against" high-rise and high density living in the Perth CBD area or/and along most of its coastal affluent belt. They seem to prefer the low denisty, low rise, more relaxed and more lay-back and slower pace of social living conditions of an Urban Village Concept.

3. I have personally seen some active interest groups and strong community actions being taken in the past, to officially protest the high-rise coastal residential and commercial buildings at the Scarborough Beach area, when I was living in the area as a short term tenant in this suburb.

4. Thus, do the younger Perthrites start to differ in their current thinking from that from their older Perthrites, as has been suggested by Alannah, at this point in time?

5. Honestly speaking, I am personally not convinced that this change has in fact taken place among the Perthrites, over the last few years.

6. What do the other Perthrite members think and say?

7. For your further comments and discussion, please.

8. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Well i'm a 25yr old perth guy, i'll give you a bit of a rundown on myself. Work in the CBD for past 8 years, live in Kingsley with parents. Looking at moving into one of my parents rental properties in Currambine with brother and mate.

Have enjoyed catching the train into the city the past years, jump on a 8am at behind my desk at 8.30am cost $2.50. However the problems with the cattle trains coming from North to the City are starting to made me think otherwise.

I have a mix of friends that are in Inner City Apartment living and friends that built 4 x 2 outer suburbs. The majority of my friends that work in the city as Accountants, Lawyers are renting 2 x 1's in Leederville, Vic Park and East Perth. The past 2 years theirs have jumped $200 a week to over $300. They enjoy the lifestyle, are at the local pubs and resturants most nights, can walk or ride to work.

The Perth young professional scene has really seemed to have taken off the past few years and people throwing a bit of cash around and living near and beening seen at the funky clubs and resturants seems to be in. I have been paying $9 for Corona's and pints of beer, so things must be alright or people like to think so. On the downside in a few years they are planning for children and would like to have a dog, bbq and bit of space down the track. They are more looking at townhouses in the Wembleys, Doubleview, Floreat area.

While my tradesman mates have built or bought in Hocking, Heathridge and Craige. Have their dogs, bbq and flash utes. They work all around, so living right next to CBD isn't a priority. They admit their houses are run down and need a bit of work however see their houses are stepping stones and they would like move suburbs in a few years time. My mates that build a few years back are now looking at Sorrento, Hillarys, Iluka.. anywhere on the coast closer to city as possible.

This is just a view of my 25yr old friends and workmates and we mostly grew up in Kingsley, Hillarys, Woodvale area hence the North bias. 2 of my mates are in the Navy and built 4 x 2's in Bertram and Port Kennedy and while doing their sea time rent back to the Navy.

The question is, Red Baron, what are you and your friends going to want to live in when you hit 30 or so? If you're like my peer group (30 year old accountants, lawyers, etc.) you're going to start looking for houses.
Alex

I live in Canberra and am 32. My wife and I live in a suburb about 15-20 mins drive from the city, which is considered neither inner nor outer, but is a nice suburb and has pulled some great growth numbers. We built our house 6 years ago.

Our friends of our age seem to be more interested in living in smaller, older properties close to the city, rather than going a little further out for a MUCH nicer property, and 10 mins more in the car each way to the CBD. I guess they figure they'll renovate or rebuild up to something nice over the next decade or so. The prices they pay seem to me to be a lot, though, but none of our friends are investors (at all), and seem much more interested in having the best possible lifestyle now.

Good on em, I say - they're increasing demand for my IP's that are 5 mins walk to the CBD!

Dear Red Baron,

1. From your single post, it does not seem to me that there is indeed a real change and preference for higher density and CBD living among the young Perthrites that you have referred, to, so far, at this point in time.

2. Even for the "yuppies" who are presently living in the Perth CBD, there is a good chance that their living preference may change eventually once they have started their own families as what AlexLee has suggested for himself and for his generation of young people.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear VYBerlinaV8,

1. Perth and Canberra are quite different.

2. I know that not only the young but also the older Australians in Canberra prefer to live within or nearer to the Canberra CBD area than in its outlying suburbs.

3. Am I right to say that, Geoffw?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

The question is, Red Baron, what are you and your friends going to want to live in when you hit 30 or so? If you're like my peer group (30 year old accountants, lawyers, etc.) you're going to start looking for houses.
Alex

I'm from perth but like many young perthians moved east for work. would like to go back to a nice big house in perth along the beach. haaa

Alex

For sure, even a few years before they hit 30. I'm single so its a bit different for me. But my 25yr old friends who are married are looking at starting a family in the next 2-3 years. I had lunch with them today and told me by then they want to be settled in a house not apartment.

They enjoy living in the apartment complex with gym, pool, underground carpark but not willing to pay the $650 qtr strata, $700 perth shire rate and$700 water rates if they purchase an apartment where they are renting.

The areas they are talking about are still 10-15kms to CBD but more the 2 storey townhouse kind of properties.

Must admit, I find the idea of an East Perth apartment in a high rise very appealing as a retirement option. It wasn't an option in my 20's.

Once the kids are gone we will probably do it. I know a few retireds in their 70's who are doing the apartment thing. Easy to lock up when travelling, close to restaurants and theatres/ hospitals.

Must have a lift though. :cool:

Dear Red Baron,

1. From your single post, it does not seem to me that there is indeed a real change and preference for higher density and CBD living among the young Perthrites that you have referred, to, so far, at this point in time.

2. Even for the "yuppies" who are presently living in the Perth CBD, there is a good chance that their living preference may change eventually once they have started their own families as what AlexLee has suggested for himself and for his generation of young people.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I think your right about the "yuppies" that their living perference will change.

Most of my CBD mates love their lifestyle (designer sunglasses, restuarant dinners everynight) renting expensive apartments. However sometimes they do envy my other mates with nice big houses 30km out with big bbq, spa, threate room and a dog running around.

I personally I no idea where at or what i'm doing. I'm living with parents, have a block near the beach 50km north of Perth. Working 2 jobs to knock that loan down asap. Been mostly involved with the sharemarket and managed funds the past 7 years. So when it comes to property I have a very basic knowledge.

Dear VYBerlinaV8,

1. Perth and Canberra are quite different.

2. I know that not only the young but also the older Australians in Canberra prefer to live within or nearer to the Canberra CBD area than in its outlying suburbs.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Agreed. I was just making the point about behaviour is all.

People in Canberra have a real 'thing' about having to drive anywhere. Basically any drive lasting more than 15-20 minutes is considered a road trip!

Kenneth,

I bought OTP Apartment in East Perth about 18 months ago and have recently on-sold it to a couple of young males. The inner-city lifestyle is very appealing to a lot of people in Perth and becoming more so, as we are finally growing up as a city. The mix of people buying into these properties is quite varied.

sq

I don't agree.

There's 80,000 people who live in the Belconnen area alone- that's 10km out from the CBD. There's a lot of people who never go near the CBD.

The people who want the big houses (with or without the big backyard) at a reasonable cost choose to live in the burbs.

And there are a lot of big offices in the town centres. So many people don't have the need to travel in. In fact, now that a lot of parking has become pay parking in town, even after hours, there are people who would prefer not to go into twon at all.

Back