your thoughts on brisbane: inala goodna darra

whats everyones thoughts on buying ip's in inala, goodna, darra seventeen miles rocks area in brisbane are those areas heating up?

Dear Crunch,

You will find that you will get more accurate information if you put more about yourself including your location in your profile.

Recommend that you get yourself a copy of propertylifestyle magazine and the stat's will tell you some of what you are looking to know.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Darra

Dear Crunch

I have thought about Darra without having time to do the research and due diligence which is a must. The reasons Darra was of interest was because I read somewhere ( Sorry can't remember where) that the old QCL cement works site was to be developed into a botanical gardens type of area with the added coffee shops etc.

The Brisbane City Council might be worth contacting for more information and I am sure they would have a web site.

The other thing is get a map of Brisbane and you will notice that 17 Mile Rocks, Darra, Oxley are only 1 or 2 suburbs away from Corinda, Sherwood etc where the median price will be significantly higher than the other suburbs.

Again I would say look at the numbers and due diligence.

Regards

I lived in Ipswich (Booval) and Brisbane (St Lucia, Hamilton, Kenmore, Taringa, Auchenflower and Indooroopilly) from 87 to 97. I don't know about current growth figures (you can check with Residex or others I suppose) but I would suggest most of the suburbs you are looking at could be ok.

Seventeen Miles Rocks seems the best placed, being between good suburbs.

Goodna maybe, if in good locations (eg near Church St). You might also look a bit further out to some areas of Redbank Plains.

Darra maybe (I'm not so familiar with this suburb)

Inala I would probably be more reluctant. My memory of it is a pretty rough area, even though a good friend of mine grew up there and he turned out well (his dad was the principal of a local school).

Today I was speaking with a solicitor who is in family law and she was voicing her opinion that the government is encouraging generations of breeders who expect to live on welfare, since the more kids they have the more extra benefits they get.

Her real life example was a case she was dealing with - the mother had 10 children to various fathers, and her eldest daughter was just about to have her 10th child and wasn't always sure who father was. All 21 of them (soon to be 22) were living on welfare and in a 2 bedroom house at Inala. Certainly not the kind of tenants I would want.

But having said that, my mower man who looks after my Indooroopilly IP lives at Inala and he is a very nice guy :)

Hi crunch. If you're looking long term, these areas should be fine. In regards to tenants, there's good and bad in any area, thankfully most are good.
Take care

The best time to buy in Inala was 12 months ago when houses were around $60000. Now they are around $150000.

I have heard recently but have not been able to confirm, that Delfin are buying a lot of the old housing commish houses and revamping them to resell. When driving through I have noticed the area is looking a whole lot nicer than it used to.

Inala is only 12k's from Brisbane CBD and borders the Delfin development of Forest Lake. This may or may not attract a better class of people to Inala who can no longer afford Forest lake. Maybe once the rents rise enough to force the more undesirable tenants to other areas it will become a more sought after area for investment.

Nat:)

Originally posted by natmarie73
Inala is only 12k's from Brisbane CBD and borders the Delfin development of Forest Lake. This may or may not attract a better class of people to Inala who can no longer afford Forest lake. Maybe once the rents rise enough to force the more undesirable tenants to other areas it will become a more sought after area for investment.

That makes sense. And if Delfin are buying old properties then sounds like Inala could be a good "up and comer"

My impression of Inala was from 7++ years ago, which is obviously out of date.

It stands to reason that any area can be improved over time. I've seen it happening in Melbourne in places like Footscray and Collingwood. My grandfather also tells me Port Melbourne and St Kilda were once fairly seedy kinds of areas too, now look at them! (admittedly, bayside location is something Inala doesnt have ;-)

Maybe a few phone calls to prospective property managers in the areas may help a lot in researching those areas.

There are good opportunities still in those areas but you just have to find em.

Cheers Brenda

Last edited:
Dear guys,

Goodna is an excellent area to invest in for many different reasons. It all comes down to the research that each individual has done.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Last edited:
Been to a Goodna shopping centre, 'St Ives'? I think, not a bad hardware shop there. Also I think some traffic comes out from there back onto the Ipswich motorway when there are traffic interruptions further west, there must be a back road behind Goodna there somewhere.

Thanks everyone, i have been sick with the flu and without a computer at home to reply. I will update my contact info for you sunstone including my star sign if that will make you happy! hehe (and do not neccessarily believe everything you read in a chat room.... a little anonymity goes along way).

But seriously thanks I am looking for something which triggers a bit more info, I have heard about the old QCL cement works which was interesting. If you drive around the area's of sinnamon park/17 mile rocks you will see there is alot of devolpment happening stretching into the south east direction, looking in api the growth figures for areas such as salisbury, rocklea are doing quite well in regards to gains, and the south west area's mentioned above seem to still be receiving good rental yields 8-9% with room for gains compared to other areas within these distances from the cbd. I am wondering if the flow on effect will move to these areas or has it already happened?

I think ive seen that mother & daughters house, isnt it the one with the Porsches out the front? Thats bloody disgusting and the amount i pay in taxes of all types makes it worse. :(

Originally posted by mmerlin
I lived in Ipswich (Booval) and Brisbane (St Lucia, Hamilton, Kenmore, Taringa, Auchenflower and Indooroopilly) from 87 to 97. I don't know about current growth figures (you can check with Residex or others I suppose) but I would suggest most of the suburbs you are looking at could be ok.

Seventeen Miles Rocks seems the best placed, being between good suburbs.

Goodna maybe, if in good locations (eg near Church St). You might also look a bit further out to some areas of Redbank Plains.

Darra maybe (I'm not so familiar with this suburb)

Inala I would probably be more reluctant. My memory of it is a pretty rough area, even though a good friend of mine grew up there and he turned out well (his dad was the principal of a local school).

Today I was speaking with a solicitor who is in family law and she was voicing her opinion that the government is encouraging generations of breeders who expect to live on welfare, since the more kids they have the more extra benefits they get.

Her real life example was a case she was dealing with - the mother had 10 children to various fathers, and her eldest daughter was just about to have her 10th child and wasn't always sure who father was. All 21 of them (soon to be 22) were living on welfare and in a 2 bedroom house at Inala. Certainly not the kind of tenants I would want.

But having said that, my mower man who looks after my Indooroopilly IP lives at Inala and he is a very nice guy :)

Back