Your thoughts on the Budget?

Just typical Labor. Give more handouts to the "poor", and the braindead Labor voters, and tax the rest to hell to pay for it all. Get rid of any incentive to become self-sufficient, while at the same time encouraging the welfare mentality. This particular policy is bad already, but my favority hairbrained Labor policy so far had to be "free childcare" for teenage mums, or $4200 more to families with children. Brilliant. What stupidity. But then, it's Labor. They are supporting the Labor support base.

What did everyone expect. Everytime Labor has been in, it's then taken Liberals year to fix up the mess they cause while in government.

Any wonder they the Labor "voters" are largely poorer. If they manage their budgets like Labor does, it's no wonder. Like two peas in a pod.

lolz @ some of the comments on that article

Stephen of Sydney Posted at 10:02 AM Today
This is blatant discrimination. I chose not to have children and therefore can not access all this money being thrown at parents. People without kids are struggling and also vote...

Comment 3 of 18

If you're struggling as a single person imagine how hard it is for single mothers/fathers!

If you're struggling as a single person imagine how hard it is for single mothers/fathers!

With the amount of free money that families now get, it's probably a lot easier than a single person Cupcakes.

a family earning $45,000-a-year with a 10-year-old and a 13-year-old in high school, the extension of the rebate to cover school uniforms would lift the family's total government financial assistance to $16,050 a year.

Labor's in trouble, and it needs to buy all the braindead Labor votes in can ahead of the next Federal election.

LOL yeah..single people do it soo tough. I'd much prefer being a single mother with two small children...$45,000 + $16,050 per year to feed myself and two children, I'd be sooo rich compared to just being a single person earning $45,000 just to spend on myself

LOL yeah..single people do it soo tough. I'd much prefer being a single mother with two small children...$45,000 + $16,050 per year to feed myself and two children, I'd be sooo rich compared to just being a single person earning $45,000 just to spend on myself

Well, if you can't do the simple calculations to work out that you would be, then I'm not suprised that you likely vote for Labor. On $45K the single person pays $8K tax, and gets no government handouts. The single parent gets a crap load of government handout to help.

Keep voting Labor in your ignorant bliss.

Nothing irritates me more then handouts being given to families! I'm sorry but if your going to make the choice to start a family and have kids then make sure you can afford to do so, Why should my taxes have to pay for other people's choices!

Nothing irritates me more then handouts being given to families! I'm sorry but if your going to make the choice to start a family and have kids then make sure you can afford to do so, Why should my taxes have to pay for other people's choices!

I know, right?! Those single parents, they contribute nothing to society by raising children. It's like get an abortion and join the work force! Do something constructive with your time!

Did you guys expect anything different from our soulless ghoul of a prime minister who has neither children nor husband?

These people are massively out of touch. The government should focus on the economy - if that does okay, people will be able to fend for themselves quite nicely. Hamstringing the productive elements of the population in order to coddle the less productive elements is always a downward spiral that ends badly imo

This school uniform malarky reminds me of the insulation debacle. I'll conceived from the outset and hugely wasteful.

It's like get an abortion and join the work force!

How about the other alternative... join the workforce :confused:.

If there's one new policy/idea of Gillards that I like, it's cutting welfare from teen mums if they do not go back to school or training.

To allow them to be stay at home welfare mums is NOT good for the child or society.

These people are massively out of touch. The government should focus on the economy - if that does okay, people will be able to fend for themselves quite nicely. Hamstringing the productive elements of the population in order to coddle the less productive elements is always a downward spiral that ends badly imo

Less productive elements? Like property investors? :D

How about the other alternative... join the workforce :confused:.

If there's one new policy/idea of Gillards that I like, it's cutting welfare from teen mums if they do not go back to school or training.

To allow them to be stay at home welfare mums is NOT good for the child or society.

And cutting welfare thereby plunging the entire family into destitution is? I think that the problem should be solved with incentives to study, not the threat of poverty.

I agree with Nikolina - anyone wanting a family should pay their fair share. Support, yes. Coddling at the expense of the working person, no.

I suspect in all budgets, anyone can pinpoint or critique some initiatives that are not popular or ill-conceived.

I personally don't have any strong opinion on this measure however similar to the FHB grants and stamp duty concessions, how do you know the extra money being given to the recipients won't feed into higher priced uniforms?

Well, if you can't do the simple calculations to work out that you would be, then I'm not suprised that you likely vote for Labor. On $45K the single person pays $8K tax, and gets no government handouts. The single parent gets a crap load of government handout to help.

On 45K, the single person would get the low income rebate, reducing their tax.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to raise children? There is no way a single parent is better off than a single person, because of these handouts.

If I remember correctly, at the 2007 election, Howard offered to match the 'education rebate' and include a rebate for private school fees.

How's that for a handout?

i totally agree ... and i have a family!

unless you are on poverty level there should be no government handouts, imo. this country really needs to get rid of the burdening middle class welfare system it has.

imagine how much the governement would have to spend on education and infrastucture and childcare and small businesses then?

Spot on Lizzie! The thinking behind these schemes is really lacking and pure vote buying. Also someone at the top probably owns a uniform company.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, at the 2007 election, Howard offered to match the 'education rebate' and include a rebate for private school fees.

How's that for a handout?

I also recall that it was Howard's Govt who introduced the 'Baby Bonus' and the FHG. It seems that welfare handouts are popular with both the major parties.

Back