Your top 5 suburbs

kerosam05 said:
Hello fellows,

here's an opportunity for you to share your top 5 suburbs in Ozland for property investment (not to retire). The 5 suburbs has to be in the state you are living in now.

This is mine: Darwin (not in any order)

1. Karama
2. Malak
3. Woodroffe
4. Virginia
5. Howard Springs

Can you give an opinion on Gunn in Palmerston.....I have just started doing some research now. Is that a future growth area or has that already come and gone. any information would be great .

Interesting comments Tony, I've been semi watching prices there for a while. What makes you interested in this area?

cheers

Tony,

I had a look at the lower priced houses in the areas you said and the rents were very low, like 170-190/week for asking prices of 350 ish. A lot of run down houses there are the same price as new units. I just couldn't see the rental returns, but I did not look much either.

Adrian

ggumpshots,

just a bit on Top End. Top end consist of Darwin City, Northern Suburbs and Palmerston. In Palmerston, there are a number of suburbs. Two suburbs namely Gunn and Durack, are sub-divided by Delfin, branch of Lend Lease. Delfin has a couple of projects thru out Australia e.g Brisbane, Adelaide and Palmerston. I am a bit bias towards Gunn and Durack (other Palmerston suburb that Delfin sub divided) because firstly, I am living in Durack. secondly, these two suburbs are unique compared to the suburbs in Darwin, the northern suburbs and Palmerston.

Gunn aka The Chase (government calls it Gunn then came Delfin and gave it a more commercially attractive name). It has a couple of thousand blocks in that suburb consist of a parkland and a man-made lake. try this www.the-chase.com.au. It'll give you some info (including near to what type of facilities and so forth) on The Chase. There is also a link (i think) to Durack aka The Fairway Waters. If i'm not wrong, Delfin i up to the final stage in The Chase.

The Chase and The Fairway Waters are unique because there are other suburbs in the Top End that is similar i.e. lakes and golf course. (Note: The Chase hasn't got a golf course). They are covered with convenants so owners though can still built their dream houses but no shonky tin sheds. landscaping or at least having a front lawn is mandatory and so forth, to keep it neat, tidy and consistent. Occupants are pretty mix, some works in the LNG gas plant, some in the ADF and some in the police force. I have two police man living along the same street as i do and my rear neighbour is a major from the ADF. pretty good and safe suburb.

nevertheless, i would be looking at surrounding suburbs for some good bargains (there still is in the northern suburbs). Woodroffe has a few good streets that i would consider if i'm buying in palmerston. anywhere beyond Woodroffe, i would research carefully about the streets in that suburb because there are public housing spread out in those suburbs.

i hope that helps.

markpatric said:
In Brisbane I would say

1. Brookfield by a country mile
2. Anstead
3. Chelmer
4. Hamilton
5. Cleveland

Markpatric, can you share with us your reasons behind each of the above?

Cheers

Gday Rixter, well Brookfield needs no qualification, it has always been veiwed as prime real estate, it`s generally big acreage only 10 to 20 minutes from Brisbane CBD depending on what part you might live, but you need dollars to live here and everyone knows it!, although Upper Brookfield a little further out is a mix and truly unique real estate which will only go one way. :D
Rainforest, no traffic, wildlife everywhere, same goes for Anstead only a little further out, although now has traffic problems and the new western bypass may go through Anstead also, but this a more personal favourite.
Chelmer, close to town and a noted blue ribbon area, same with Hamilton we are talking prime real estate again close to river and CBD.
Cleveland and surrounds is just great easy access to Brisbane and the bay islands, convenient to Gold Coast also.

Top suburbs - Parramatta region

Adrian

I concur with the rents being $170 - $190, but the properties I'm viewing (eg N Parramatta) are about $190k - $230k. As previously mentioned , no depreciation remaining since the properties are old and ideally have not yet been renovated.

Why P'matta region?, the usual reasons; proposed Civic Place development will need accommodation for extra 8,000 ?, Sydney Water Board relocate to P'matta in 2006 (2,200 jobs), new Justice precinct, Jeffrey Hospital development, etc etc.

I think the area - P'matta, Harris Park (HP), Granville, etc have potential noting the relatively low prices for old-style units.

However I note that, effective tomorrow, parking meters are being implemented throughout P'matta, including HP, N P'matta - the consequences of P'matta growth & development, I guess.

Good luck

Tony

I assume you suggest Hamilton for capital growth? Any investment you buy in that area would be extremely negatively geared?

markpatric said:
Gday Rixter, well Brookfield needs no qualification, it has always been veiwed as prime real estate, it`s generally big acreage only 10 to 20 minutes from Brisbane CBD depending on what part you might live, but you need dollars to live here and everyone knows it!, although Upper Brookfield a little further out is a mix and truly unique real estate which will only go one way. :D
Rainforest, no traffic, wildlife everywhere, same goes for Anstead only a little further out, although now has traffic problems and the new western bypass may go through Anstead also, but this a more personal favourite.
Chelmer, close to town and a noted blue ribbon area, same with Hamilton we are talking prime real estate again close to river and CBD.
Cleveland and surrounds is just great easy access to Brisbane and the bay islands, convenient to Gold Coast also.

Yes from a long term point of veiw also.
In the more short medium term I would go back to my first choice.
Brookfield and Upper Brookfield could seriously benefit from the tree change mindset which will become more and more a commodity imo.

kerosam05 said:
ok let's see:

we have NT, NSW and WA. KS, pardon my ignorance, your top 5 suburbs are in which state??

we are still missing VIC, SA, ACT, QLD and TAS. how about country suburbs?

Atually there is NT, QLD and WA. Not NSW. I know the original thread asked for suburbs in your locality but I have moved around quite a bit with work and have lived in all these areas (some a couple of times) and now living in NSW. Just putting forth my opinion same as you do and everybody else.

Not sure about acreage and such high end property for investment in Brisbane. Personally I'd look more middle range with potential and return.

1. Sandgate/ Shorncliffe
2. Wavell Heights
3. Graceville
4. Red Hill/ Paddington/ Bardon
5. Bulimba

Nundah with the $45 mil Wooloworths redevelopment and the recently announced major upgrade of Toombul Shoppingtown shouldn't be overlooked either. Wavell Hts with its elevation and city and bay views will receive positive effect from the upgrade. Waterfront property will always do well and areas with large blocks with charachter Queenslanders have traditionally been the best investments through all markets in Brisbane.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Gordon Gekko said:
Well, since no Melbournites have put their case forward, here goes.............

1. Frankston South
2. Croydon
3. Strathmore
4. Edithvale
5. Watsonia

In no real order :D

GG

Am I the only Victorian on here ?????? :confused:

In Bris, IMHO:
To live :
Ascot - Hamilton (traditional "posh" sub, big old houses, green et)
St Lucia
Brookfield ("rural "living close to city, tree change)
Hawthorne-Bulimba (direct river front & city view)
Manly-Cleaveland-Wellington pt (sea front/canal)

To invest:
Newmarket (close train shop hospital, etc, still has old houses for developing)
Banyo: a bit further, has industrial area, price not too high pleinty of double block... a lot of dev going on there, may do well in next boom.
Woolloongabba (close to shop, hospital, school, busway, train, Green bridge soon to be built)
East Bris - Morningside- Norman Park (next to Bulimba/Hawthorne which is getting expensive) near river, ferry, shop, uni with heaps of international students, private schools
Parkingson, parts of Runcorn & Eight Mile Plains (For new or newish brick houses in the mid - late 300K and fit Stve's rental reality)

Regards,

salsa said:
In Bris, IMHO:
To live :
Ascot - Hamilton (traditional "posh" sub, big old houses, green et)
St Lucia
Brookfield ("rural "living close to city, tree change)
Hawthorne-Bulimba (direct river front & city view)
Manly-Cleaveland-Wellington pt (sea front/canal)

To invest:
Newmarket (close train shop hospital, etc, still has old houses for developing)
Banyo: a bit further, has industrial area, price not too high pleinty of double block... a lot of dev going on there, may do well in next boom.
Woolloongabba (close to shop, hospital, school, busway, train, Green bridge soon to be built)
East Bris - Morningside- Norman Park (next to Bulimba/Hawthorne which is getting expensive) near river, ferry, shop, uni with heaps of international students, private schools
Parkingson, parts of Runcorn & Eight Mile Plains (For new or newish brick houses in the mid - late 300K and fit Stve's rental reality)

Regards,

Salsa, whats your oppinion on around Upper Mt Gravatt & Calamvale areas?

Brisbane inner southside,
imho, i would start with Upper Mt Gravatt with the old post war 2 bedders
on large blocks,they are still under the 250k mark.
Rocklea is still under the 200k mark,from Annerley to Dutton Park to West
End is still to early to say,once the green bridge is in place at Dutton
Park then all the overseas students that will come to live in these
areas will have to rent somewhere...........
this is only my opinions.its up to you make your own..........
good luck
willair.........

Gordon Gekko said:
Am I the only Victorian on here ?????? :confused:

I'm here! Just a busy weekend....

In 'order' of CG prospects (my opinion only)

1. Altona
2. Footscray
3. Maidstone/Marybynong
4. Reservoir
5. Ummmm, maybe Thornbury? or Yarrraville?

Lindy

Hi Rixter,
Upper Mt Gravat is good too , see Willair's opinion on inner south, not my top 5 but I tend to also agree with W (not sure about Rocklea tho) .

For new houses further from the city I think Parkingson (brand new 4 bed for mid 300K) is nicer than Calamvale, some good bargain from developers are abailable, price wise about the same with Calamvale ??

But i like Eigh Mile Plans better , a bit closer than parkingson, a 10 ish yrs brick house good land content in the 300K (walk to busway, train, yummy food at chinese community Sunnybank, big shop centre Garden City) only 15 min express bus to the city, so great !!!.
Upper Mt Gravat is not far from all this either !!!!

Back