You're kidding me!! Middle class charity

Just saw this link on PI.com...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20584625-5005941,00.html

DEBT-stricken families with new homes, cars and plasma televisions in Sydney's sprawling housing estates are relying on charity handouts to buy food.

A great way to lose goodwill with anyone that donates money to charities. But thank god they haven't totally lost it and started paying peoples mortgages!

Mr Picot said while the charity refused to cover mortgage repayments, it had helped out with food and electricity vouchers.

My favourite passage was from the NSW treasurer;

"Interest rate rises are hurting NSW families,'' he said.

"As I said at the time, the Federal Budget added to the inflationary pressures that saw the Reserve Bank raising interest rates for the seventh successive time in August.

"Prior to the May interest rate rise, the property sector was showing signs of improving demand, with increased housing finance approvals, low vacancy rates, and rising rents all pointing towards a recovery.''

Everything would be fine if the property market just kick started again!

Oh and its the fed govt's fault for giving people more money through tax cuts - not NSW state govt tax policies that has hurt the market!!!

Unbelievable :eek:

TJ

the article was a feature on a current affair last night. couldn't bring myself to watch it as would only fuel my frustration at the consumer middle class.

i am sure they get their vouchers for food and electricity, but still buy their clothes at myer or dj's.

Last edited:
TJ,

Makes you sick doesn't it. I reckon a second hand plasma tellie would still sell for $1,000 bucks odd. That's a fair few meals if you shop at the supermarket and prepare your own food at home. I reckon that would cover a good few months of eating without having to put your hand out for charity.

Talk about wanting it all and not living within your means. I'm sorry, but that stuff really yanks my chain.

Cheers,
Michael.

TJ,

Makes you sick doesn't it. I reckon a second hand plasma tellie would still sell for $1,000 bucks odd. That's a fair few meals if you shop at the supermarket and prepare your own food at home. I reckon that would cover a good few months of eating without having to put your hand out for charity.

Cheers,
Michael.

We are still watching our $200 "Princess" brand telly - 58cm too! Biggest I ever owned. Run the sound through an old Yamaha Amp circa 1975 and out through two Richter speakers from a Garage Sale @ $10 and a Sub Woofer bought on eBay for $150 Ouch...

Telly came with a 5 year Warranty - where can I go wrong?

Plenty of food on the table though.

We are still watching our $200 "Princess" brand telly - 58cm too! Biggest I ever owned. Run the sound through an old Yamaha Amp circa 1975 and out through two Richter speakers from a Garage Sale @ $10 and a Sub Woofer bought on eBay for $150 Ouch...

Telly came with a 5 year Warranty - where can I go wrong?

Plenty of food on the table though.
Simon gets the gold star from Michael! :D

Whilst not quite as spartan, I did hold off until very recently before buying my $2,000 plasma TV despite being well able to afford it. I think I had some $80K in the mortgage offset account and only owing $100K on the PPOR mortgage when I finally decided to loosen the purse strings just a touch. Not quite as strong willed as yourself but certainly living within my means.

Now if only this mentality pervaded the middle class in their westie McMansions...

Cheers,
Michael

Well I splurged a couple of years ago & bought a new telly for just under $200. I finally got sick of trying to turn the old one on with a pair of needle nose pliers. The knob got broken off some time ago & it was so old I couldn't get a new one. We also live in a tiny 3 bed house with (shock, horror) only one living area & our lounge is a daggy futon.

I'd rather have old/shabby furniture anyday & have our IP's than spend up big on depreciables. That can come later when the kids have moved out.

I also splurged out in the last few days. I bought a car (have done without for the last 9 years).

1990 Ford Laser KF-$950.

Had been a bit too tough on myself up till then.

Am amazed when clients fill in forms showing financial hardship (details of monthly household income and expenses) and include details of lease payments on their new 4 wheel drive).

Ajax

Last edited:
Talk about wanting it all and not living within your means.

I agree people's idea of stock standard items has changed.

Sadly, happiness index is showing people are less satisfied with their life. I can see it in the teens who want what Paris (Hilton) has. Keeping up with the Joneses, 'cept the stuff on television showsis often procured through contra deals and celebs are given fashion items for free (so they can be seen in Who weekly almost wearing them)

I won't join the "my matress sags and my linen has holes" comp. Enjoy hearing about it though. Makes me feel better about my nest not being top notch :D ... yet. Room for improvement.

Hey guys and girls,

Just wondering what the view is like up there on your high horses?

Mark

Mark, are you honestly telling me you sympathise with people who overextended by buying a house, cars and plasma TVs they can't afford, and stitched themselves into cable TV, etc contracts?
Alex

Mark, are you honestly telling me you sympathise with people who overextended by buying a house, cars and plasma TVs they can't afford, and stitched themselves into cable TV, etc contracts?
Alex

I don't think he is saying that.

I think he is reminding ourselves of the folly of righteously patting ourselves on the back. False pride and all that.

My telly came off the nature strip, so cost $0. It replaced a previous TV that came from the same source.

If anyone's going 'kerbside junk shopping' around Melbourne, Edithvale/Chelsea is the place to be at the moment ;)

Peter

hmm

Hey guys and girls,

Just wondering what the view is like up there on your high horses?

Mark

I bought my high horse second hand on ebay, so I reckon the view's pretty good. ;)

Kidding.

I felt sad when I read the article.
These people are un-educated. They have not taken the same path as us. Yet they are human. I am also human, and "there but for the grace of God go I".

Very humbling thought.

I honestly wonder how much damage this does to charities.

The people who are in genuine need get less because of the greedy people who blow the lot and then have the audacity to ask for help:(

Selfish low lifes...............

I don't think he is saying that.

I think he is reminding ourselves of the folly of righteously patting ourselves on the back. False pride and all that.

My girlfriend always hears from colleagues and friends about how they're worried about the future, worried about bills, wondering how they're going to afford a house, etc. In my case, it's just a matter of keep doing what I'm doing and we'll be fine.

I take pride in that, as I think we should all take pride in the fact that we are responsible for our own finances. It's a real achievement, when you look at the rest of the population.
Alex

Alex

I agree with Mark here - you dont get marks for being a scrouge in my book.

For the record I have an average TV, but I would not hesitate to spend big on things that make a difference to my life. If I happened to love fast cars, would I be a fool for indulging in a passion of mine? Or is the real fool the one who refuses to spend any money except for bare essentials based on some misguided thought that they are 'better' than the unwashed masses? Is a holiday a waste of money, or an incredible experience?

I dont condone the rampant consumerism prevalent in todays society, but I certainly cannot see the logic in the penny-pinching that some people go though in this forum. Life is short - live it balanced.

Hi,

I remember a couple of years back when I was moved sideways and lost 50% of my income (shift penalties) and Yuch was not working and we had to cut back.

Home cooked dinners and videos.

What was funny at the time was that we had about 5 mortgages at the time.

Fortunately most were either positively geared or wraps.

That was a very tight time, but what I read in that paper was silly too.

Regards
MichaelG

Back