Yulin Dog Meat Festival. What do you think?

In Yulin people celebrate with a dog meat festival. Thousands of dogs are collected to be eaten by locals. They are boiled and skinned alive. I was shocked when I saw the images, so I won't post any here. As an owner of two dogs who are spoiled rotten, I cannot begin to imagine how much these poor dogs suffer. What do others think? Is it like eating a cow or a pig? To me, it is the suffering that these poor dogs have to endure before they die an extremely painful death that is heartbreaking--animals who love us unconditionally.

Dunno? Worse things happening in the world as far as I can see. If that's what they've been doing for centuries, then so be it? Westernised people don't like the idea of eating horses either. Similar sort of thing?

See ya's.

Yes, know about this PG, my heart breaks.

I only discovered/heard about Chinese fur farms, where they skin dogs alive.

MTR

they skin dogs alive.

MTR

I just did some quick googleing of the Yulin dog meat festival and there was no mention of skinning dogs alive or boiling them alive. Dogs aren't a little fury rabbit, they have teeth and claws and can be vicious. Why on earth would someone try to skin a dog alive and risk being injured when it could be put down first and skinned 30 seconds later?

See ya's.

Anyone that eats meat and thinks this is wrong is a hypocrite.

I'm sure y'all think the way your food is treated while it's still alive is perfectly fine, right?

Can't see anything wrong with eating any non-endangered animal, although I can't agree with the torture. But then again, people here eat caged eggs - that's a lifetime of torture, albeit milder than being skinned alive, but it lasts longer.

But if you're asking whether the act of eating a dog/cat is much different from eating a cow/sheep, I'd say not.

On a related note, if you had a pet chicken, could you eat chickens afterwards?

I've got no problems with eating any animal, but I firmly believe animals should be treated as gently and humanely as possible.

If the dogs were farmed in good conditions and killed humanely I wouldn't mind (I'd even try some), but cruelty like that is unacceptable.

but cruelty like that is unacceptable.

The claim that they are boiled and skinned alive is purely speculation. There is no proof (that I have been able to find at least) that dogs are being electrocuted and/or skinned alive. It's a claim being made by animal rights activists, who seem to have no evidence to back it up.

I've been doing some research of my own and have been able to find no evidence whatsoever that this is actually happening. It appears from reading about it, that the issue is solely due to the meat coming from dogs, not that any are being tortured.

Yes, MTR, dogs are skinned alive for the fur trade. Yulin believes the dogs taste better when they're boiled alive. Have you signed the change.org petitions?

One psychopath tortures one dog (assuming the dog is still alive - impossible to tell from a photograph). How is that in any way connected to the Yulin Festival?

It's not even the same privince.

I just did some quick googleing of the Yulin dog meat festival and there was no mention of skinning dogs alive or boiling them alive. Dogs aren't a little fury rabbit, they have teeth and claws and can be vicious. Why on earth would someone try to skin a dog alive and risk being injured when it could be put down first and skinned 30 seconds later?

See ya's.

TC
They beat them first, its very cruel, I don't want to get too graphic, if you google this I am sure you will be horrified.

I can't stand for the suffering of any animal. My husband is a country boy and says that people shouldn't be allowed to eat meat without knowing the process that it goes through to get onto the plate and I agree.

When I was travelling through China (about 6-7years ago) I spent some time talking with the locals and yes, a particular dog is bred to be eaten (looks a bit like a dingo) but my understanding was that they weren't tortured (i.e. no boiling/skinning/burning alive).

I eat meat - however, I don't eat a lot of it preferring to eat seafood/veg and I always try to buy ethically sourced meat.

The Australian has reported that:

The solstice (in Yulin) is celebrated by eating lychees and locally made *liquor with the dog meat, which is traditionally said to bring good health and fortune. It has been estimated up to 10,000 dogs are slaughtered each year to be eaten...

The increased number of animal activists and the worldwide focus on the festival reportedly led to a major decline in dog meat sales this year. Locals reported that the number of restaurants selling the meat was well down on last year while traditional slaughterhouses have been closed for the past week.

Hopefully the festival will stick to eating lychees in the future and forget about the dog meat.

Hopefully entitled middle class white people will stop acting like they have a right to walk all over other cultures' traditions, because they don't like them.

on the assumption that they arent skinned and boiled alive (I didnt read all of it)

Whats wrong with eating dog?

is it because they are cute and furry and we keep them as pets

what gives humans the rights to choose which animals shall be mass produced, slaughtered and consumed,

if they are kept in good conditions and slaughtereted with minimal pain, no animal should be deemd more or less worthy for consumption whether it be dog, cat, dolphin, goat, or monkey

We cant really complain if some superior alien life form decided to round us all up and slaughter us for food , as this is exactly what we are doing to animals

Back