Yulin Dog Meat Festival. What do you think?

Not only is it cruel, but as per this article many are stolen, someone's pet

Certain dogs used in the dog meat trade are legally obtained, but many are stolen. Simply searching Google for ?steal dog? in Chinese reveals that there are 135,000 published reports.

Dog thieves use varying tools such as tranquilized food, tranquilizer darts, and cage traps to catch unsuspecting pets. Owners may even be shot with tranquilizer darts themselves in an effort to protect their dogs.

Once trapped, dogs often are packed into battery cages, where they stand or lie on top of each other, without food, water, space, or comfort, often for days. These cages may be stacked on top of each other into trucks for transport. If sales are slow, dogs may often remain caged for days or even weeks.

If lucky, these illegally obtained animals are intercepted and rescued by supporters, such as those in Chong Qing city and Guizhou province. But not all dogs are so lucky, and following these rescues IFAW-China immediately made an announcement to update our supporters within China and challenge the government to stop these crimes.

We cant really complain if some superior alien life form decided to round us all up and slaughter us for food , as this is exactly what we are doing to animals

Or if some other apex predator decided to take a bite out of our surfboard/leg/torso because we looked like a seal or ran slowly.

Once trapped, dogs often are packed into battery cages, where they stand or lie on top of each other, without food, water, space, or comfort, often for days. These cages may be stacked on top of each other into trucks for transport. If sales are slow, dogs may often remain caged for days or even weeks.
That basically sounds like the way chickens are treated across 90% of the world...

What about cows, pigs, sheep, spiders, cockroaches, rats, etc?

Even if they're treated right, we're still killing and/or eating them, which is quite harsh. You wouldn't kill a random human being for no reason, even if you do it humanely.

I'm assuming you're a vegan? If so, then I'd respect your stance, even if I don't support it. But if not...

In South America they eat guinea pigs but not rabbits, they are pets :confused:

I have no problem with people eating dogs as long as they are killed with as little stress as possible, much as with any other food meat preparation.

I eat meat - however, I don't eat a lot of it preferring to eat seafood/veg and I always try to buy ethically sourced meat.

I know you're coming from the right place, but have you considered how your seafood is obtained and what the consequences of those methods are?

Lobster, crayfish, crabs, etc, are often boiled alive. Shark fining is still common practice in some parts of the world (they cut off the fins and throw the rest of the living shark back in to drown and bleed to death). How much sea life that we don't eat dies every year as collateral to commercial fishing?

Don't even get me started on WA, QLD & NSW shark baiting and nets.

The seafood industry is just as inhumane and far more wasteful than the meat and poultry industries.

Dudes, dogs are cute and cuddly. So of course it's easier for people to get upset over another culture eating dogs, but be perfectly happy to eat chickens, pigs, cows, fish, seafood even though they know that those animals live in horrific conditions and are tortured slowly, over months, before finally being sent to slaughter. Or as Peter said, boiled alive and/or overfished.

But they're not cute and cuddly, you see. So it's okay.

So in order to alleviate their consciences until the next shiny new controversy pops up in their Inbox, the entitled sign petitions (which will have absolutely no effect whatsoever), but it does help them soothe their guilt until the next 'outrage' shows up on the front page of whatever electronic equivalent of used toilet paper that calls itself 'news' these days it is that these people read.

I mean, let's face it, blogs like HuffPo, <insert name of Gawker Media site here> and numerous others are designed specifically to entertain the hard of thinking. No news, just virtual talking heads aimed at getting page views and that's it. And nothing sells faster than getting people to believe they're better than everyone else.

Dudes, dogs are cute and cuddly. So of course it's easier for people to get upset over another culture eating dogs, but be perfectly happy to eat chickens, pigs, cows, fish, seafood even though they know that those animals live in horrific conditions and are tortured slowly, over months, before finally being sent to slaughter. Or as Peter said, boiled alive and/or overfished.

So in order to alleviate their consciences until the next shiny new controversy pops up in their Inbox, the entitled sign petitions (which will have absolutely no effect whatsoever), but it does help them soothe their guilt until the next 'outrage' shows up on the front page of whatever electronic equivalent of used toilet paper that calls itself 'news' these days it is that these people read.

I mean, let's face it, blogs like HuffPo, <insert name of Gawker Media site here> and numerous others are designed specifically to entertain the hard of thinking. No news, just virtual talking heads aimed at getting page views and that's it. And nothing sells faster than getting people to believe they're better than everyone else.

What do I think? What he said.
Do you believe everything change.org writes too?

I just did some quick googleing of the Yulin dog meat festival and there was no mention of skinning dogs alive or boiling them alive. Dogs aren't a little fury rabbit, they have teeth and claws and can be vicious. Why on earth would someone try to skin a dog alive and risk being injured when it could be put down first and skinned 30 seconds later?

I've seen videos of dogs being donked on the head and still alive (so tail slow-wagging and whimpering) being dunked into boiling hot water for street sales of meat, and another that was stabbed in the throat before being hung up on a hook to bleed out...both weren't instant deaths. Quite inhumane imo.

Always feel a bit sorry for spiders, cockroaches, rats, etc. They've got nobody to defend them, except the rare individual (I do know someone who's into the whole "spider rights" thing), and often they are considered "weird".

Not that it'll stop me from squishing Charlotte with a shoe...

Always feel a bit sorry for spiders, cockroaches, rats, etc. They've got nobody to defend them, except the rare individual (I do know someone who's into the whole "spider rights" thing), and often they are considered "weird".

Not that it'll stop me from squishing Charlotte with a shoe...

I find spiders and tarantula to be quite cute... just please not on my hand. If I can move them out of the house without killing them I might.

Cockroaches and rats...I kill them not to eat them, they're pest with potential parasites and diseases, can't have them in the house.

Back