Zone alarm problem, PC help needed

Hi all you IT gurus, yes, it is that illiterate B........ who is absolutely hopeless at driving these things, asking difficult questions again !!! :D :D

I use Zone alarm as a (free) firewall and I want to update it.

I have downloaded the latest update, but before I install it, I have to turn off the existing version and reboot my pc.

I can shut it down ok, but when I reboot it starts up again, I have opened ZA configure page and have located the box which says " load ZA at start up" which is currently checked.

The problem is that it won't "uncheck", I click on the tick within the box but it won't disappear !! :mad:

How can I get it so that it won't start up when I reboot if I can't uncheck the box ??

If I try to run the install it tells me that "Zoneband dll" is still in use, please close and reboot.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Macca said:
Hi all you IT gurus, yes, it is that illiterate B........ who is absolutely hopeless at driving these things, asking difficult questions again !!! :D :D

I use Zone alarm as a (free) firewall and I want to update it.

I have downloaded the latest update, but before I install it, I have to turn off the existing version and reboot my pc.

I can shut it down ok, but when I reboot it starts up again, I have opened ZA configure page and have located the box which says " load ZA at start up" which is currently checked.

The problem is that it won't "uncheck", I click on the tick within the box but it won't disappear !! :mad:

How can I get it so that it won't start up when I reboot if I can't uncheck the box ??

If I try to run the install it tells me that "Zoneband dll" is still in use, please close and reboot.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Just tried it on my PC - if I untick the box, it comes up with a "Are you sure you want to do this" type of message.
Does your user account have admin rights (although I am not sure this is the problem)?

Sorry can't be of much help. As PT Bear says, it might be a case of uninstalling - Start > All Programs > Zone Labs > Uninstall

As an aside, are running XP with SP2? If so, what is your firewall settings on it?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Pt ,

No, I can't uninstall until I can turn it off. I can close it but the dll is still running. Apparently I have to uncheck that pesky box that won't uncheck, then reboot so that ZA does not turn on at start up.

Then I run "clean install" of new version and it overwrites the old version.

Running Windows 98SE

Maybe a stupid question, but could I run "find", Zoneband dll, and delete it. Would that stop the ZA programs from starting up?

Some small progress, by going into msconfig, I have been able to turn off ZA at start up.

Now when I try to run uninstall it tells me that it can't find Zone\........\unwise.exe so no can do.

When I try to run clean install (which is supposed to overwrite the old program) I am told that Zoneband dll is in use.............close ZA deskband and then run install. Does anyone know how to close ZA deskband ?

Any more suggestions?

thanks

Macca said:
could I run "find", Zoneband dll, and delete it.
If it's in use you won't be able to delete it. You could try renaming it though, as I sometimes find that works, and then reboot.

As a last resort, you could search the registry for that DLL and delete the entry that's referencing it if you find one. Deleting registry entries can be dangerous though if you make a mistake, so do so at your own risk (and make sure everything important is backed up first - which of course it should be anyway).

GP

Find windows Task Manager by using
cntl alt del under xp, dont know about win98

tab to end processes
find zapro.exe
end zapro.exe

or
go into program files , delete zone alarm
download registry First aid and then run to clear unwanted reg items
do so at your own risk
good luck

Success !!!!!!!! :D :D :D

thanks for all your suggestions, with a bit of info from here and a bit from there I have managed to shut down the old one and run the upgrade.

thanks once again

Why do you want to upgrade ?
Many people suggest to keep the old ver 4.5. I recently went back to it myself.

ZA may have got the bugs out but the newer versions can at times cause troubles with other software. Do a search at "CastleCops" previously Computer Cops, they have heaps of threads about ZA's firewalls.

Apparently simply doing an uninstall is not always sufficient. You may need to do a "clean" uninstall. Castle Cops has the procedure if you don't mind the searching. I'm not at home at the moment so don't have all the links and info with me.

Good luck

Hi Patosan,

thanks for your suggestions, I was running ZA 2.6.88 and I have been unable to upgrade for some time.

I finally had some time to spend sorting it out, so persevered this time.

In reality, what I was trying to do was take ZA off completely and install Kerio and Kerio would not install while ZA was there.

I ran a clean install of the new ZA so that it would over ride the old one and then uninstalled ZA in total.

Then I installed Kerio firewall.

A bit round about I know but I need to take one step at a time or :eek: :eek: happens

Zone alarm have a good users forum with resident gurus which is quite good but I actually combined the hints from here and there to solve the prob.

G'day Macca,

I'm curious how your Kerio is working : resources use, test wise, etc.
ZA is wonderful however it does bring D/L software almost to a halt.
I haven't had the time to look deeper into a solution or alternative.

Sounds like a configuration problem Patosan ... I use ZoneAlarm Pro on all my personal machines without any problems, and the corporate standard at IBM is Zone Labs Integrity Desktop (corporate version of ZoneAlarm) ... standard issue on some 300,000+ machines at IBM !!

G'day Sim,

Perhaps I should've been more specific, I'm not refering to general D/L, rather file sharing programs. Many people have documented the problem ZA causes when trying to use win.mx as an example.

I think ZA is great but this point is a problem, thus I'm interested in options.

Back