20 reasons to date a doctor

Few successful private sector organisations would be run anything like a public hospital (it would go bankrupt within a few days but then the public health system is like a bottomless pit for taxpayer funds without anyone remedying the gross inefficiencies) but then private sectors generally do not have to deal with large blue collar, inefficient unionised workforces.

I'm certainly glad your not a professional advisor, ever heard of RHC.

Attachments

• RHC.gif
    RHC.gif
    70.3 KB · Views: 47
With regards to flow on costs of cancelled operations, not only has the patient taken time off work but the patient's employer has to bear the costs of sick leave and hiring extra staff.
Who said anything about anyone taking time off from work?

It could be retired Grandad Bill, falling off the ladder at home and shattering his hip, on Sat morning,

Or, a 19 year old who has his faced glassed at the night club at 11.30pm on Friday night,

Or, little Johnny breaking his arm in a bad collision at footy on saturday arvo,

Or, Max getting smacked in the eye by an errant golf ball on the 6th hole on Sunday morning,

Or, 35 year old mother of 2; Fiona getting rear ended when she pulls up at the school to drop off the kids on Tues morning, and hits her knee on the steering column and shatters the knee-cap.

A regular week in the ER at Frankston or St.Anywhere; all the above being trumped by an Emergency Caesar or Triple A and shunted to tomorrow - just for 2 examples.

Last edited:
Often nursing management will say that an operation cannot proceed as they need at least three nurses but one has not shown up. This means that the remaining nurses may be sitting around doing absolutely nothing but getting paid for it, so they don't care.
Utter bollocks.

The nurses are reassigned to other duties, usually to other operations where other nurses have needed replacing due to sick leave or whatever. I've never known an entire nursing staff scheduled for an operation to simply sit around the rest of the day doing nothing when the surgery gets cancelled.
china said:
In fact it is part of their nursing culture to roster in sick leave as part of their leave entitlements several months in advance.
Complete and utter bollocks again.

It is illegal to roster in sick leave ahead of time since it is "sick leave" and for use only when one is sick. Further if it is found that employees are taking sick leave when they are not sick they face a range of consequences including reprimand, loss of wages and loss of job.

If you can actually document a SINGLE case where a nurse has rostered in sick leave "several months in advance" and has not faced disciplinary action for it, I'll buy you your first IP.

In Australia, we have the opposite problem. Everything is for free and everyone expects health care for free. A sense of entitlement. Health care is in fact very expensive and if everyone was charged even 5 dollars to attend emergency department, I believe a lot of our public hospital systems problems would be resolved. There would be fewer attendances for a start and more appreciation of services provided.
Yes what selfish *******s we in Australia are where we believe universal and free health care should be a right. How dare those who can't afford to pay their own way expect medical treatment?!?! Let them rot in the gutter! Health care should only be for the privileged ones who can pay for it themselves after all right?

I think China's portrayal of the nursing profession is about as accurate as Grey's Anatomy's portrayal of the medical profession as a whole.

ANF is hardly an over the top militant union (they don't want to be and don't need tp be when they don't lose members).

They blow a lot of hot air come enterprise bargaining time but probably achieve little more than if they weren't around. Much of the nurse ratio stuff is scare mongering.

You just have to look at other areas in the public system and you'd die at the amount of people employed to do much the same thing they did years ago, with the unions having nothing to do with appointments (I'd go as far as saying we are over servicing in some areas :rolleyes:).

There is definitely NOT a big union influence in the public hospital system (unless you consider the Labor gov a union) regardless of how it looks. It's more a case of government approving more and more positions -in the wrong places- higher up the ranks.

On the subject of Ramsey... my FIL is a private patient in a public hospital atm, because his doctor thought (as I did) it might be best, and the place has been nothing short of fantastic.

Public hospitals deal with more complex issues, where as private will move you on if you're not 'viable' or don't fit into their business model.

china, what is your real life experience with the medical field?

ANF is hardly an over the top militant union (they don't want to be and don't need tp be when they don't lose members).

They blow a lot of hot air come enterprise bargaining time but probably achieve little more than if they weren't around. Much of the nurse ratio stuff is scare mongering.

Exactly right. There is no real reason to increase the number of nurses per patient in Australian hospitals because the amount of work done per nurse is already abysmally low.

On the subject of Ramsey... my FIL is a private patient in a public hospital atm, because his doctor thought (as I did) it might be best, and the place has been nothing short of fantastic.

Public hospitals deal with more complex issues, where as private will move you on if you're not 'viable' or don't fit into their business model.

There is absolutely no reason to be a private patient in a public hospital. I agree with you that a small minority of conditions needs to be treated in a public hospital. However, if you are in this minority and have the misfortune of being subjected to the public hospital environment, you may as well stay as a public patient. Otherwise, as a private patient in a public hospital, the only beneficiaries are the doctors who receive higher remuneration from the health fund rather than the usual public service bread crumbs. Hence, your doctor loves it when you elect to be a private patient in a public hospital. As the patient, you will still be subject to the same public hospital nurses, facilities and attitudes. As a private patient, you should always insist on treatment at a top private facility if your condition allows.

Exactly right. There is no real reason to increase the number of nurses per patient in Australian hospitals because the amount of work done per nurse is already abysmally low.

I think numbers are about right in most cases. Decrease the numbers and outcomes are poorer (includes decreased safety) - the reason numbers can't drop too much.

If private hospital levels are less it's usually because they have less complex problems to deal with.

china, you didn't answer my Q. How are you connected to the health system in real life?

There is absolutely no reason to be a private patient in a public hospital. I agree with you that a small minority of conditions needs to be treated in a public hospital. However, if you are in this minority and have the misfortune of being subjected to the public hospital environment, you may as well stay as a public patient. Otherwise, as a private patient in a public hospital, the only beneficiaries are the doctors who receive higher remuneration from the health fund rather than the usual public service bread crumbs. Hence, your doctor loves it when you elect to be a private patient in a public hospital. As the patient, you will still be subject to the same public hospital nurses, facilities and attitudes. As a private patient, you should always insist on treatment at a top private facility if your condition allows.

He has top private cover but chose to go to a public hospital as a public patient because we thought he'd get better all round care/treatment (we thought the public hospital was better geared to provide that). The private hospital could have dealt with him but chances are it would not have been to our satisfaction. Public hospitals deal better with issues that turn complex, and his did.

china, what is your real life experience with the medical field?

Plenty of real life experience but I would rather not go into the specifics.

I'm grown tiresome with all this purported "knowledge" but not stating why you have it.

If someone asked me I'd think it would be only polite to state why, not continue this "cone of silence" secret rubbish.

By not answering I think it makes it clear why you don't answer.

What proof do you have of your claims?.

Amongst one of many bureaucracies set up by the Australian government, there is a body called the productivity commission. They have issued countless reports regarding the problems with inefficiencies of the public hospital system.

http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/study/hospitals

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...bRKQij&sig=AHIEtbTlZYnsvE-FZRIK47aOfXXmdxDo9g

The final conclusion of all the bureaucratic babble is that productivity in our public hospitals leaves much to be improved.

I'm grown tiresome with all this purported "knowledge" but not stating why you have it.

If someone asked me I'd think it would be only polite to state why, not continue this "cone of silence" secret rubbish.

By not answering I think it makes it clear why you don't answer.

As a general principle, I don't think debate on any issue should focus on the personal characteristics of the debater. The major strength of this forum is that it allows free exchange of views wherein you can either take it or leave it. Personal credentials or purported credentials are irrelevant.

As a general principle, I don't think debate on any issue should focus on the personal characteristics of the debater. The major strength of this forum is that it allows free exchange of views wherein you can either take it or leave it. Personal credentials or purported credentials are irrelevant.

No.

This goes to the credibility of what you are saying.

You have made some very serious accusations about nurses. Not one person has agreed with you.

Yet we have no idea whether you are a street cleaner, a street walker, or somebody who really does have knowledge.

You have really upset people in here. People are reporting your posts to the mods.

If you cannot establish your credentials you will not be allowed to say anything relating to medicine in this forum. That includes doctors wages- another thread which you took way off track.

Tread very carefully.

China, still waiting on any evidence that nurses schedule sick leave "many months in advance".

One free IP of your choice up for grabs if you can back that claim up.

ETA: And geoffw has it spot on. You have made insulting and disparaging remarks that are offensive to many and appear to be grounded in nothing but your own fantasies. What credentials you have for making such claims goes directly to your credibility.

Amongst one of many bureaucracies set up by the Australian government, there is a body called the productivity commission. They have issued countless reports regarding the problems with inefficiencies of the public hospital system.

http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/study/hospitals

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...bRKQij&sig=AHIEtbTlZYnsvE-FZRIK47aOfXXmdxDo9g

The final conclusion of all the bureaucratic babble is that productivity in our public hospitals leaves much to be improved.
Productivity anywhere leaves much to be desired.

Nothing I can see in those reports (albeit a skim) lays the blame squarely on the nurses as you have done.

Back