3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

I see Newcastle Permanent have ended their 5.99% 3 year fixed rate offer and reverted back to 6.28%. None of the other major players (banks, credit unions etc) seemed to follow them down that far. Next best was Suncorp at 6.20%.

Do people think we may have hit the bottom of the current fixed rate cycle (barring the Euro situation taking a dramatic turn for the worse) ?

3 year fixed rates around 6.20 - 6.30 seem about as good as they have ever been over the last 7-8 years, other than during the GFC (Nov08-Jul09).

I can split at 6.29% 3yr fixed and continue my 1% off the variable component with my current big 4 bank so I am tempted to do that to lock in a bit of certainty. If I could get 5 years at that rate, I would do it in a heartbeat, but other than Heritage Bank at 6.39% 5 years (if only their variable rate was better for the non-fixed component), no-one has brought the 5 year rate down much below 6.65%.

My only hesitation about going 3 year fixed is the Euro situation and whether that is going to cause another GFC. Of course, the problem with trying to time the move into a fixed rate is that if you wait for the situation to become clearer, the opportunity to lock in a good rate will often be lost.

As soon as the Euro problem is resolved, I expect fixed rates will jump back up a bit so it will be no good waiting to see how that plays out. Fortune favours the brave.

I appreciate that deciding to lock in a fixed rate should be about trying to cap the rate at a level you are comfortable with so as to avoid the risk of rates going higher than that (to perhaps an unaffordable level), rather than trying to outsmart the market and perfectly time the bottom, but like anyone, I don't want to lock in too high unnecessarily either.

Decisions, decisions.........

MikeR wrote:-

"Do people think we may have hit the bottom of the current fixed rate cycle (barring the Euro situation taking a dramatic turn for the worse) ?"

I do.

Recently fixed for 5 years with CBA at 6.74% (6.89% less .15% discount for wealth package).

I have already noticed that fixed rates are climbing back up...can't see those 5.89% and 5.99% 3 year rates with certain building societies any more. With respect to 5 year rates can't see anything under 6.64%.

Only concern is that by fixing for 5 years with CBA I have lost the ability to switch banks easily (unless interest rates rise). CBA will only do lo doc loans to 60% lvr. Am currently on 64% lvr and might like to access the remaining equity for a deposit (up to 80% lvr) at some stage. RAMS will let me do this...but not CBA.

My rationale for fixing for 5 years is a concern that all this quantitative easing could result in high inflation in a few years’ time (and correspondingly higher interest rates).

MikeR wrote:-
"Do people think we may have hit the bottom of the current fixed rate cycle (barring the Euro situation taking a dramatic turn for the worse) ?"

I do.

Recently fixed for 5 years with CBA at 6.74% (6.89% less .15% discount for wealth package).

I have already noticed that fixed rates are climbing back up...can't see those 5.89% and 5.99% 3 year rates with certain building societies any more. With respect to 5 year rates can't see anything under 6.64%.

I'm leaning the same way about this being close to the bottom for fixed rates. I can see a few more variable rate cuts being possible, but not expecting them to really plunge.

Thanks silverx and qlds007.

Appears I may have been about to go off too early.

I see ING are now down to 6.19% 3 year fixed.

Citibank at 6.49% 5 year fixed is looking tempting too (pity about the variable rate if I split).

Bankwest
2 year fixed rate 5.99%
4 year fixed rate 6.49%
The 4 year one is looking alright, but might wait a little longer for a hopeful lower rate

I'm still waiting for a good 3 year rate, mid 5's would be nice. Still think it's early days to lock, but I could be wrong.

Fixed rates

Thanks Fat Mal

Am going to fix one of my loans with Bank West at 5.99%:p (the last time i fix with Wesucks at 4.99% i was very very happy)...i'll fix one at a time and let it roll down...

Thanks Fat Mal

Am going to fix one of my loans with Bank West at 5.99%:p (the last time i fix with Wesucks at 4.99% i was very very happy)...i'll fix one at a time and let it roll down...

5.99% is a good rate at this stage. I think this is for 1 year and/or interest in advance?

Below 6% is still available for 3 years fixed interest only and >$1m loan. I think I will fix subject to LVR, etc.

Thanks Fat Mal

My error - just noticed after posting that 5.99% is for 2 years. A bit short time span for me, but for one loan it adds to diversifying interest risk exposure.

At 5.99% fixed for 2 years there would be quite a few established investors who would be close to cashflow neutral or better (even on capital city properties).

Rising rents and falling interest rates...nice combination.

I'm holding off a bit longer based on my as yet unproven theory that fixed rates bottom out at the point that variable rates go below fixed rates.

For what its worth, I think we are a ways from bottoming out in the interest rate front!

Feb. will be a particularly interesting month.....I can see quite a few redundancies just prior to Xmas.....and Europe is not improving.

As I have said in other threads.....a cut will happen in Dec. and further cuts in the New Year as the economics numbers go from bad to worse in the short term.

Personally, I am waiting for a rate at about 5.6-5.7% prior to myself fixing!:D

I'm holding off a bit longer based on my as yet unproven theory that fixed rates bottom out at the point that variable rates go below fixed rates.

Apparently not. Sorry:)
Also according to the data in the attachment, sourced from the RBA, variable rates did not follow fixed rates down in 2003. Anyone remember what was going on at the time, economically? I sure don't!
Cheers, Ali

Attachments

• IRs.xls
    53 KB · Views: 90
For what its worth, I think we are a ways from bottoming out in the interest rate front!

Feb. will be a particularly interesting month.....I can see quite a few redundancies just prior to Xmas.....and Europe is not improving.

As I have said in other threads.....a cut will happen in Dec. and further cuts in the New Year as the economics numbers go from bad to worse in the short term.

Personally, I am waiting for a rate at about 5.6-5.7% prior to myself fixing!:D

And I'm following whatever you do Sash....!!:cool:

Not likely....I doubt the Europe situation will sort itself in the next 6-12 months. Thus why I see further falls....additionally China and the US are showing slowing but not as a pronounced. So I feel that sub 6 for 2 & 3 years is realistic.

Apparently not. Sorry:)
Also according to the data in the attachment, sourced from the RBA, variable rates did not follow fixed rates down in 2003. Anyone remember what was going on at the time, economically? I sure don't!
Cheers, Ali

Mate....what would I know...all I read is tea leaves! ;)
And I'm following whatever you do Sash....!!:cool:

Hi

Just read Suncorp offering 5.98% fixed 2 years and 5.99% fixed 3 years obviouslu trying to match the Citibank 3 year offering.

Not sure if we are at the bottom on the fixing cycle but must be pretty close IMO.

Back