3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

We haven't see much change in fixed rates for the past couple of months. I am starting to believe fixed rates are as close to a bottom as we are going to see?

Any news, insight (or indeed guesstimates) from the MB community on this?

We haven't see much change in fixed rates for the past couple of months. I am starting to believe fixed rates are as close to a bottom as we are going to see?

My lending manager indicated she thought it was about as low as it would go when I fixed mine @ 5.99% for 3 years but who knows if that was a pitch to get me to sign up or not - I think not since I decided to pull the trigger independantly.

Hi,

How are people getting these sub 6% rates. Obviously a bit under the advertised amount.....

Also why are people choosing three years?

Thanks,

Somme lenders have increased their fixed rates by up to 0.5%- Citibank, bankwest , NAB etc...

So it looks like the fixed rate of 5.8-5.99 are scrapping the bottom of the barrel...and may not last for long.

ANZ fixed rate of 5.80 and 5.99 3 years ( break free) ends today :(

No good on the 3 year fixed. They wouldn't budge. Got it down to 5.99 for a two year fixed. I have another $250,000 loan coming up soon so will go again then and see what happens.

I was able to get 5.85 for 2 years with Westpac and that suited me because I am likely to refinance / move house in 2 years time.

Thanks for posting, Neil. So what's the best 2 year and 3 year rate going with Westpac at the moment? I have 3 loans with them and I'll ring them tomorrow... but just want to see what others have been offered. Skater mentioned she had been offered a 2 year rate better than advertised, I'd be keen to know what it was if you don't mind sharing :)

I just fixed 2 loans at 6.14 for 3 years with Suncorp. 2 years was 5.99, but I think 3 years will work in my favour. All speculation of course.
Saving around $50 per week, so no complaints.

I thought rates would bottom out lower this cycle, but I think we're pretty close to the bottom.

From my initial discussions with WBC & their Premium Financial Services area have flagged a 6.1-6.2% 1, 2 or 3 year fixed year rate. I have raised my eye brows at that, given the commentary on this thread about rates being achieved. I guess this provides a new definition for the term "Premium".

Their headline rate is 6.39% plus 0.2% discount, makes 6.19 Apparently PFS have some additional discretion on rates, even fixed.

My borrowings with them are not insubstantial and less than 80LVR%. Maybe I have to start taking business away from them before they start getting serious.

Thanks for posting, Neil. So what's the best 2 year and 3 year rate going with Westpac at the moment? I have 3 loans with them and I'll ring them tomorrow... but just want to see what others have been offered. Skater mentioned she had been offered a 2 year rate better than advertised, I'd be keen to know what it was if you don't mind sharing :)

It's 5.93% Not earth shattering, but certainly better than their advertised rate. :D I told them that ANZ had some very good products out there that I was considering. I didn't tell them how much I wanted, I got them to "do their best" for me. :D

I have a suspicion that when it comes to wheeling & dealing with the banks there are a whole heap of variables that come into play that have nothing to do with the state of the market either. Things like, how much borrowing you have, how long you've been a customer, the person you are dealing with, whether or not the person you are dealing with is in a good mood, likes you, identifies with you in some way, etc......

It's 5.93% Not earth shattering, but certainly better than their advertised rate. :D I told them that ANZ had some very good products out there that I was considering. I didn't tell them how much I wanted, I got them to "do their best" for me. :D

I have a suspicion that when it comes to wheeling & dealing with the banks there are a whole heap of variables that come into play that have nothing to do with the state of the market either. Things like, how much borrowing you have, how long you've been a customer, the person you are dealing with, whether or not the person you are dealing with is in a good mood, likes you, identifies with you in some way, etc......

Your right. When you look at my spread of half fixed half variable loans. And in the middle of a development. Westpac would know it's very difficult for me to move. What they offer me would be based on a good customer front not an attempt to retain my business.

Things have changed a bit again. I was going for the 2 year at 5.99 because they wouldn't do 3.
Just got off the phone they are now happy to do 3 years at 5.99.

Looked at breaking another loan 2 months early to take advantage but $1,400 break costs were a bit steep I thought.

Not sure what this means as far as fixed rate directions in the future.

oh wait... just noticed this on their website

"independent endoresement of HomeStar from Today Tonight..."

so probably not worth considering, apologies for the spam

newcastle permanent back in the sub 6s

3 Year Fixed Rate 5.99% p.a.

they had this offer at the tail end of last year and shifted it up to 6.2% early this year IIRC...

any others about?

Hi,

How are people getting these sub 6% rates. Obviously a bit under the advertised amount.....

Also why are people choosing three years?

Thanks,

Hi - hoping people could provide their input on the above. also - is anyone with CBA - chasing fixed rates?

Thanks, Matto

Back