3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

i am with greater and they seem to be pretty good apart from limited branches they have. the internet banking is definitely better than ing

Can Greater customers use NAB ATM's without any extra fees ?

The lack of branches is not really an issue, but access to (free) ATM's has always been my concern with going with one of the smaller players.

Can Greater customers use NAB ATM's without any extra fees ?

The lack of branches is not really an issue, but access to (free) ATM's has always been my concern with going with one of the smaller players.
no, i dont really see their atm around outside their branch (i am in brisbane though) and their base is down in gold coast and nsw but having visited gold coast often i dont see their atm around either

https://www.greater.com.au/About-Us/BranchATM-Locator/BranchATM-Locator.aspx

https://www.greater.com.au/Personal/Rates,-Fees-and-Charges/Deposit-Account-Transaction-Fees.aspx

i never use them as my day to day banking as i already have nab account for that

St george 3 year fixed rate now 5.59% !!! Under their pro pack. These fixed rates are starting to look great value again.

To whom???

Might not be great value when rates drop another 0.5 to 0.7% and you can get VRs on professional packages at around 5.2% at that point.

If the banks are dropping their FRs to less than the VRs they must be seeing more downside to VRs than the FRs are being offered for.

Where can this be confirmed as it is not on their website?

most good deals arent publically confirmable for a while ( or not at all ;) )

Product

Current Rate
(p.a)

Change

New Rate (p.a.)
(excluding Package
Discount)

New Rate (p.a.)
(with Package
Discount)

1 Year Introductory Fixed Rate

5.74%

-0.15%

5.59%

5.59%

1 Year Fixed Rate
(incl Portfolio, Low Doc & Low Doc Portfolio)

5.89%

-0.15%

5.74%

5.59%

2 Year Fixed Rate
(incl Portfolio)

5.89%

-0.15%

5.74%

5.59%

3 Year Fixed Rate

5.94%

-0.20%

5.74%

5.59%

4 Year Fixed Rate
(incl Portfolio)

6.54%

-0.10%

6.44%

6.29%

5 Year Fixed Rate

6.64%

-0.20%

6.44%

6.29%

1 Year Fixed Rate - Superfund

6.29%

-0.15%

6.14%

n/a

2 Year Fixed Rate - Superfund

6.29%

-0.15%

6.14%

n/a

3 Year Fixed Rate - Superfund

6.34%

-0.20%

6.14%

n/a

4 Year Fixed Rate - Superfund

6.94%

-0.10%

6.84%

n/a

5 Year Fixed Rate - Superfund

7.04%

-0.20%

6.84%

n/a

Advantage Package Offer Reminder: 0.15% off 1-5 Year Fixed Rates
The 0.15% discount for eligible Advantage Package Home Loans on standard 1,2,3,4 and 5 Year Fixed Rates will continue. Discounts are applicable to both new and existing customers switching into a new fixed rate with total borrowings of $150k or more.

If the banks are dropping their FRs to less than the VRs they must be seeing more downside to VRs than the FRs are being offered for.

more to the point, the lenders are buying this cheaper money from YOUR AND MY super as a guide.

when fund managers start hedging for lower fixed rates they are ahead of the RBAs game by a fair margin ( usually), so u might be right.

For many, the lower fixed rates =locked on security and thats ok too as long as those borrowers know that security always comes with shackles

ta

rolf

To whom???

Might not be great value when rates drop another 0.5 to 0.7% and you can get VRs on professional packages at around 5.2% at that point.

The 3 year rate is close to historic lows. While true variable rates might come down further you are never going to pick the low and they represent real value at the moment in my opinion.

What are swaps?

Derivatives where banks / borrowers 'swap' their interest repayments. One will be a 'floating' rate (i.e. variable), the other will be a 'fixed' rate. The banks match up one borrower who prefers a fixed rate and one who prefers a floating rate, and they 'swap' the interest payments with each other. Of course the banks take a cut from the transaction too, naturally.

Minutes of the Monetary Policy Meeting of the Reserve Bank Board
Sydney - 3 July 2012

Link

Members continued to view it as appropriate for interest rates to be a little below average given evidence of slower global growth and the low rate of inflation in Australia. But with a material easing in monetary policy having occurred over the preceding six months or so, and with recent signs that the domestic economy had a little more momentum than had earlier been indicated, members saw no need for any further adjustment to the cash rate at this meeting."

To whom???

You mustn't be reading the same RBA minutes everyone else is reading. They seem to be pretty clear that unless there's horrible news out of Europe, rates are about as low as they are getting. Even the markets have reduced their rate cut predictions form sure thing to less than 50% chance before years end. But lets say the RBA has a little more in them, because we all know the economic data swings around like a yo-yo lately. So lets say that even if they come off 25 or 50bpts more, we all know the banks will only pass on 30 or 40 of the 50 at best, so any fixed rate under 5.80 should still see you pretty well insulated. It would take a 75 bpts cut for the banks to pass on 50-60, and even then most people would get down to around 5.60 ish at best. Some exceptions for people enjoying 0.9 or 1% discounts of course, but most people are on 0.7 or 0.8%. Then there's teh question of how long rates stay down below 5.7 or 5.8 (if they get there) ... will it be months, years? Over 2 or 3 years will you average a rate lower than the fixed rates on offer at the moment? Hard to know- but the rates are well under 6% so the punt isnt a dangerous one to take. firstmac has 2 years at 5.69% no fees St george has 2 and 3 at 5.59% plus $395 fee.

Back