3 & 5 year fixed rates thread

Am now fixing 85% of my IP debt at 5.59% for 3 years (3 IPs).

Am also realising some capital gains by selling my other 2 IPs this year.

See you again in 2015!

Last edited:
Back at ya....2015..indeed....I reckon that is the next major upturn in the property cycle begins.

It will be lead by Perth in late 2014..followed by Sydney...Brisbane....with Adelaide and Melbourne the laggards.

Great idea to fix at 5.59%....as for selling...is it wise to do it now?

Am now fixing 85% of my IP debt at 5.59% for 3 years (3 IPs).

Am also realising some capital gains by selling my other 2 IPs this year.

See you again in 2015!

any news when/if westpac will change/lower there fixed rate

Another problem with timing fixed rates is that the bank that you are with doesn't drop their rates that low, and if you try and threaten to re-finance to the most competitive lenders' rates they don't play ball, and if you do attempt to re-finance with another lender, the application doesn't go through for any reason.

Another problem with timing fixed rates is that the bank that you are with doesn't drop their rates that low, and if you try and threaten to re-finance to the most competitive lenders' rates they don't play ball, and if you do attempt to re-finance with another lender, the application doesn't go through for any reason.

honestly, if 20 pts is that important to the outcome of someones portfolio long term, timing of fixed rates and the actual rate would be the least of their problems surely?

ta
rolf

That's right Rolf. I mean, both fixed and variable rates are incredibly low at the moment given the history of the last 20-30 years, and if someone is fussing over 10 or 20 points for their investment portfolio, one would think they have more serious issues at hand than rate.

The only time Variable (or fixed, for a VERY short time) got significantly lower than now was at the absolute sharpest point of the RBA's "sky is falling" GFC rate cut in 2008. They didnt stay down there for long, either.

For investors seeking to lock in a 2 or 3 year term, its unlikely it will get much better. You can secure a fixed rate in the mid 5's at half a dozen lenders. Getting a variable rate of any meaningful difference below that will for most people require an RBA cut of at least 50-75 points ( and the banks to pass on 40 -60 of it) AND for it to happen soon AND for the rate to stay that low for at least 18-24 months.

Average 3 year fixed rates dropped .2% from July to August.

RBA-August-2012.png

Interestingly, I phoned Wesuck yesterday. Said I'd like to fix my rates, but didn't like what they had on offer & could they do better. "Oh, I'll see what I can do" the girl said. Came back with a very slightly better rate. I said, that's great, however I could name 4 other institutions that had rates between 5.54% & 5.9%, and that was what I was expecting.

So.....she OK'd 5.59% for me. BUT I'll believe it when I actually get the documentation, so I'm not holding my breath, but hoping that it does come through.

honestly, if 20 pts is that important to the outcome of someones portfolio long term, timing of fixed rates and the actual rate would be the least of their problems surely?
Nah, it's not THAT important. I'll take whatever I get, but would love the extra cashflow.:D
any news when/if westpac will change/lower there fixed rate

Maybe it depends on:

How long you've been with them
How high your borrowings are
What your LVR is
If you've got evidence you can do better elsewhere
Who you deal with
What mood they're in
How nice you are to them
If they like you

Or any number of other 'reasons'.:D

Hi Skater,

Im with Westpac too and I am considering fixing some of my loan. How many years did they offer the 5.59% for?

Also is now a good time to fix? Some are saying yes and some are advising to wait for one more month. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Hi Skater,

Im with Westpac too and I am considering fixing some of my loan. How many years did they offer the 5.59% for?

Also is now a good time to fix? Some are saying yes and some are advising to wait for one more month. Does anyone have any thoughts?

it is impossible to predict whether now is the best time to fix or in 1 months time but the data is starting to stack up and if a fixed product is suitable for you then imho it is time to start looking. Some people believe fixing is about getting the best rate and "beating" the banks but it is more about risk management.

Speaking with SGB yesterday they're not concerned about suncorp being marginally lower rate wise - but their rates are apparently in a position where they can go lower if they need to or someone reduces further so they are making good margins.

Speaking with SGB yesterday they're not concerned about suncorp being marginally lower rate wise - but their rates are apparently in a position where they can go lower if they need to or someone reduces further so they are making good margins.

Some may argue, but they are not making margins - they are 'buying' business.

I dunno. My mail is they're getting funds in from Japan...

is its last quarter of their financial year. Every time this year they start doing promos to hit their targets & make themselves look good.

I've seen them doing some ridiculous pricing on loans even at lower levels.

Hi Skater,

Three years was what I asked for.

It's anybody's guess whether it's a good time or not to fix. Anything sub 6% is a good rate (heck, anything sub 7% is a good rate) & if I can lock that in for 3 years, then I'm one happy camper.

The risk you take for waiting, is that rates might go up. Of course, they might go down too. Like someone else said, it's all about risk mitigation. The more you have in loans, the more you look to make sure no little nasties can come & bite you on the butt.

thanks skater im hoping to get another property and then fix them then but wait and see
i keep changing things around and atm fixed rates wouldnt benefit me too much with saving interest but i need the flexibility atm

Just received the heads up from Citibank that their fixed rates are going up Monday. Their 3 year fixed rate is currently 5.69% with free rate lock so if anyone is in the process of getting a citibank application together it must be in by sunday.

Three years was what I asked for.

It's anybody's guess whether it's a good time or not to fix. Anything sub 6% is a good rate (heck, anything sub 7% is a good rate) & if I can lock that in for 3 years, then I'm one happy camper.

The risk you take for waiting, is that rates might go up. Of course, they might go down too. Like someone else said, it's all about risk mitigation. The more you have in loans, the more you look to make sure no little nasties can come & bite you on the butt.

Hi Skater

Mind sharing more details of loan LVR and if possible who you spoke to at Wesucks ? I spoke to them this morning and their best rate is 5.79% 3 year fixed for me...tks!

Back