3 to 4 times cheaper than LPG

Listening to the radio last knight someone mentioned that it is possible to compress natural gas to run a car. This is apparently 3 to 4 times cheaper than LPG.

Dose anyone have further info on this?

Gerd

I heard a discussion about this on the radio this morning.. apparently its quite common in Canada to have a small compressor in your garage taking gas from the "town supply" and compressing it into a car tank?

I'm a month away from buying a VW Polo TDI (Turbo Diesel). It's meant to have better fuel economy than a Toyota Prius, at least on the highway. It's about 5L/100km. Not that it's got anything to do with compressed LPG

CNG (and LPG) have been commonly used in NZ for more than 20 years now.
It was much cheaper than petrol back then too. :rolleyes:

Tony

Cheap oil prices killed a lot of the market.

Now it's the costly barriers to entry - buying a new vehicle :)

The coming government subsidy may help.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

straight gas is the way to go

dual fuel kills performance and makes the car a dog (falcadore taxis)

setting up a proper LPG only straight gas system will let your car run on lpg PROPERLY and even run better ! (if its tuned well)

Straight gas is good. But just keep in mind that if you run out of gas, the only way home is to call a tow truck.

Regards
Ozi

sooooo ... a little off point ... what would you think is the most fuel efficient (read: cheapest to run) small four door hatch on the market that doesn't end up crawling up hills? something that would take 3 adults and one wee kiddie.

i'm looking at perhaps buying a new (2nd hand) car in the next year but all the info is very confusing. i just want something to say "this is the most fuel efficient!" and be done with it. is it diesel, electric combo, petrol, the smallest car lpg can be fitted to!?:eek:

please give a total un-revhead some advice.

Last edited:
I heard today that the government will be offering $1000 incentive bonuses to people who convert to LPG.. was spoken about on the radio-- sounds good to me :)

Hi Shonnie,

Yes that subsidy was slated for launch in 2011, but due to public unrest over petrol prices they've decided to bring it forward.

Did you hear about a date for the introduction? I've not seen a solid one yet.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I heard about that subsidy too and it interests us. Can anyone tell me if its false economy to convert a ten year ford falcon? Or is it just better to trade cars and get one already done? I can't imagine I'll get a better car in the next 3 or 4 years. We do 40,000 k a year. Anyone know what it should cost to convert? Ballpark figure?:confused:

Sorry to burst the bubble
We live in Canada
we dont have natual gas in 90% of the country
we dont have cng fueled vehicles
we dont have lpg fueled vehicles
we dont have home compressors

BTW article in SMH about the LPG conversion subsidy.

It looks like the government may offer $2,000 per older vehicle, $1,000 for new vehicles (which are more efficient anyway in most cases). This is double what they had planned for 2011.

Theoretically that cuts the cost of a conversion to $500 - $1,000 - or even potentially to zero for some vehicles.

But, just like the first home owners' grant, it could also push up the cost of a conversion...

There are limited numbers of people trained to provide conversions and they also need the parts.

If there was a large take-up there may be a log-jam for a little while.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/08/13/1155407675030.html?from=top5

It's a short-term business opportunity for those in the right game however :)

I don't see that it will make much of a change to global oil prices, but it will help some people stay afloat and others maintain their consumerist behaviour.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Tizzy said:
I heard about that subsidy too and it interests us. Can anyone tell me if its false economy to convert a ten year ford falcon? Or is it just better to trade cars and get one already done? I can't imagine I'll get a better car in the next 3 or 4 years. We do 40,000 k a year. Anyone know what it should cost to convert? Ballpark figure?:confused:

It is best to convert a car that hasn't done too many K's. Less than 100,000Kms is OK. Otherwise, the engine may not last as long as you hope. You need to be sure that the engine is in really good shape.

If you do 40,000 kms a year, then the conversion will pay itself of really quick, probably within one year with the government subsidy for the conversion.

Falcons are cheapest to convert. 2.5k should be enough. Even though with the govt subsidy, I wouldn't be surprised if conversion costs go up.

Cheers,

Back