6k quote for ext paintjob

Just got a quote of 6k to paint exterior of our ppor. We normally do everything ourselves so not sure if this is a good price.
Includes 2 coats on our never painted scratch coat rendered house. House is 2 storey. The issue is that it's ppor so no tax deductions? What do you reckon?

Just got a quote of 6k to paint exterior of our ppor. We normally do everything ourselves so not sure if this is a good price.
Includes 2 coats on our never painted scratch coat rendered house. House is 2 storey. The issue is that it's ppor so no tax deductions? What do you reckon?

rip off - again another classic example of tradie making a fast one.

If it's two storey and rendered then they would need scaffolding which adds to the cost and, obviously, a lot more paint than if it were brick. Still, I'd shop around. Doesn't hurt to get a few quotes.

rip off - again another classic example of tradie making a fast one.

So quick to judge with very little fact. $6,000 could be very reasonable depending on size of house, multiple story height, feature colours, soffit and gutter painting, timber staining included?

Been stung before Melbournian by a swifty tradesman when you probably didnt do your own small amount of DD for similar scenario?

My advice, get 3 quotes, collate the facts and figures, and where the contractor has the best value for money (not neccesary the cheapest), thats what you go with!

pinkboy

never got stung before. my VCAT cases stands at 28 wins to me to 0 to the tradies. so couldn't be stuffed. I agree yes that the cheapest amount maynot necessarily be the best and he could be a high end painter that used to do penthouses or commerical buildings.

but i just can't take tradies even ones which i have used for ages and ones which i thought we had something getting done to come out with a stupid figure.

like just recently $800 to change a toilet. u kidding me?

I just painted ours. It was only about 140m2 - the paint alone cost about $1k (at trade price) so I'd assume yours would be a fair bit more.

As others have said, grab a couple more quotes.

Cheers

Jamie

never got stung before. my VCAT cases stands at 28 wins to me to 0 to the tradies. so couldn't be stuffed. I agree yes that the cheapest amount maynot necessarily be the best and he could be a high end painter that used to do penthouses or commerical buildings.

but i just can't take tradies even ones which i have used for ages and ones which i thought we had something getting done to come out with a stupid figure.

like just recently $800 to change a toilet. u kidding me?

Roughly, and I mean roughly if you work on the 1/3 materials, 1/3 labour, 1/3 profit, $6000 isnt really too bad in the scheme of things. $2000 for materials (6-8 tins of paint @ $200 each, plus brushes and incidentals, plus fuel and administration), $2000 for labour (40hrs @ $50/hr) and $2000 profit (of which dependant on gst inclusive, so take $550ish there, take 30% profit of the remaining $1500 for tax = $500)

= net $1,000 for the job. Pretty standard in my eyes.

Take your toilet for instance:

$200 for the toilet, $300 for labour inluding travel to get toilet, plumbing fittings etc, $200 profit. Add gst and hey presto $770 - close to the $800 quoted.

pinkboy

I paid $5K to get my huge 2 story home painted 5 years ago. Sounds like a fair price to me (not knowing the size of your house of course)

I thought it sounded pretty reasonably (not knowing anything other than what you have told us).

We are paying a painter $8K for a large queenslander (fairly fiddly painting) but not the battens.

Thanks. I'm feeling really guilty about paying someone to do a job that I could do myself. However it would take forever to do as I don't have the time.
Painter said its a cash job and only green money please!:confused:

Why would you admit being a tax dodger on a public forum?

No paperwork, no comeback. Not worth it.

Edit: Sorry, I know you are only THINKING about it.

Sorry?
I'm not the one being a tax dodger. If a trAdie asks for cash and I give it who's doing the tax dodging? The ato surely would be after the painter?

Sorry?
I'm not the one being a tax dodger. If a trAdie asks for cash and I give it who's doing the tax dodging? The ato surely would be after the painter?

I'm not sure... but I think you could get into trouble as well. You are knowingly paying cash and not asking for, or receiving, any paperwork.

Sorry?
You don't know tax law do you. Without a "Tax Invoice" issued by your supplier you are OBLIGED to withhold tax from the invoice amount. (And advance all such funds to the ATO) Failure to do so is a breach.

A very quick and simple way I look at it is, how long will it take to do the job, what is the payment range of the trade, what are the overheads of the business (one man show v large company, equipment required), how much for materials, GST.

My husband... what suburb is the tradesman from, do they have kids to put through private school ;).

It all adds up. Often the person wanting the job fails to see that.

6K sounds reasonable on the information you gave.

I'm assuming it would use a lot of paint due to the scratch finish.

if you want a rough guide why not go into a paint shop and see how much paint you would need and estimate that cost. Then you will know whether it's worth your time to save the money. Mind you when you are not a professional it usually takes more time. And you also need to consider if you have the equipment available or if you need to hire it (more cost).

Just pay the money or do it yourself,:confused:

It is two story and if one of them falls and breaks their neck,the 6K is nothing.

Remember If you pay cash and he damages your nice new car parked out the front you lose,

If you pay cash and the paint falls off in six months you lose,

6K + 600 Gst sound like a good price,three days work for them.
1K in paint.

Hint:You can always pay by cheque at the end and add $600 Gst to the amount and request a tax invoice (reciet).

Make sure you get them to use a good quality paint like Dulux Weathershield Gloss as you don't want to repaint a highset in 5 years time.

Back