6k quote for ext paintjob

Make sure you get them to use a good quality paint like Dulux Weathershield Gloss as you don't want to repaint a highset in 5 years time.
What do you think about elastomeric paint? I just used that stuff all over my render. Costs a bit more but I've been told it's worth it.

Cheers

Jamie

What do you think about elastomeric paint? I just used that stuff all over my render. Costs a bit more but I've been told it's worth it.

Cheers

Jamie
I personally haven't used it,but just doing a google on it,I believe it is probably only as good as a good quality 100% acrylic(Premium Exterior Paint)like dulux weathershield.I would like to see what it looks like after being in the weather for ten years?
I tend to stick to something I know and trust and can personally guarantee.

Again, how can a high quote mean a tradie is making a fast one. Just throw the quote in the bin.

If you go to buy a house and they are asking too much, are they pulling a fast one? :rolleyes:

And his highest quote was $12k. I think you're the problem, not the tradies.

rip off - again another classic example of tradie making a fast one.

Thanks painter he wants to use wattyl is that a good brand?

Wattyl "Solagard" gloss,should be fine,just make sure he specifies the actual paint and not the brand because there are an enormous amount of paints made by wattyl not good enough for external.

Make him use a gloss as well as it is going to last longer and he cant cheat with one coat because the sheen level wont be consistent.
He will give you a story about how it will look better in Low sheen,but don't believe him,it is just a ploy for one coat. :rolleyes:

Again, how can a high quote mean a tradie is making a fast one. Just throw the quote in the bin.

If you go to buy a house and they are asking too much, are they pulling a fast one? :rolleyes:

sorry can't help it - been experiencing a lot of tradies giving ridiculous quotes when i know the estimates well enough.

as to you question - if you buy a house, and they ask too much yes - they are pulling a fast one too. i do the same. :rolleyes:. Actual property and actual labour costs are different cost types and values.

Take your toilet for instance:

$200 for the toilet, $300 for labour inluding travel to get toilet, plumbing fittings etc, $200 profit. Add gst and hey presto $770 - close to the $800 quoted.

pinkboy

toilets provided and all the plumbing fittings traps etc provided. travel insignificant as they doing another job less than 100 meters away. it cost only $300 to install both 2 months ago.

You don't know tax law do you. Without a "Tax Invoice" issued by your supplier you are OBLIGED to withhold tax from the invoice amount. (And advance all such funds to the ATO) Failure to do so is a breach.

i would just request from them - if they do not give it it can be reported to the ATO after a certain amount of time. as to whether ATO does anything - that's a separate issue

most of the time - the tradies write up an invoice with their ABN and ask me to give hard cash. as to whether they declare that's their problem.

toilets provided and all the plumbing fittings traps etc provided. travel insignificant as they doing another job less than 100 meters away. it cost only $300 to install both 2 months ago.

Then you have the option to 'take it' or 'leave it'!

When we work from site to site in my business, we charge full demobilisation 'back to base', then charge full 'mobilisation' to the next site - even if the guys only have to travel 15 minutes up the road too. We gladly bill both establishments the accomodation costs as well. Call it profiteering, call it 'double dipping', call it whatever you like - but from site to site, they dont know what you charge other sites, and its part of the game if you have to provide accomodation or travel inside certain hours, if we get away with it, then more profits for us.

pinkboy

When we work from site to site in my business, we charge full demobilisation 'back to base', then charge full 'mobilisation' to the next site - even if the guys only have to travel 15 minutes up the road too. We gladly bill both establishments the accomodation costs as well. Call it profiteering, call it 'double dipping', call it whatever you like - but from site to site, they dont know what you charge other sites, and its part of the game if you have to provide accomodation or travel inside certain hours, if we get away with it, then more profits for us.

pinkboy

left it.

it's from a plumber i have used like 12 times.

mobilization or demobilization - who cares? like you said double dipping or profiteering. it seems like you know the game too. didn't realize you need accomodation to change a toilet.

overcharging is also part of why building costs have risen so much. they're part of the problem not the solution which is aussie properties are overpriced in many areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkboy

pinkboy

left it.

it's from a plumber i have used like 12 times.

mobilization or demobilization - who cares? like you said double dipping or profiteering. it seems like you know the game too. didn't realize you need accomodation to change a toilet.

overcharging is also part of why building costs have risen so much. they're part of the problem not the solution which is aussie properties are overpriced in many areas.

I never said I was a plumber:confused:! I was refering to my business and my cost, one being accomodation. I would bet a plumber would put an 'administration' charge or similar on thier bill, to cover administrative overheads - or they might add it into thier labour cost, who knows?

Mobilization or demobilization - it is a legitimate cost incured by a contractor.

We all play the game.

pinkboy

Last paint job i did the paint was $12 Litre in bulk from the factory.
You can work out how much paint is needed - so can work out a rough cost for the paint.

And cost for consumables, brushes etc and cleaning stuff.
A painter would have their own planks and trestles and spraying gear

The guy that want $6000 cash - would not the be paying GST or income tax on the money.

If it makes you feel any better, I just got a quote to paint our PPOR.

$28,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

Yes, I will be getting some more quotes.

got a painter from overseas

pinkboy

Thats what I done when I got ridiculous quotes to paint some houses I told them to leave it . Got a painter from overseas only cost $800 for a flight on a budget airline, and his keep, which was a bag of rice, which was all he wanted to eat. He only wanted the same amount per week he received at his home, he was very happy when I doubled it. It was as much as what some guys wanted per hour. The only trouble was he couldnt sit down and do nothing, he didnt like going to social functions. He just liked being busy and doing something, and wanted to work from sunrise to sunset, it was hard work accomodating his need to be constantly occupied and complaining when he had nothing to do. So I got him to restore some old motor vehicles just to give him something to do. He even gave me a present when he left out of appreciation for giving him an oportunity to work and a chance to see some of the world. It was amazing to see how much pleasure he got from very simple joys. He did receive a bonus.

I personally haven't used it,but just doing a google on it,I believe it is probably only as good as a good quality 100% acrylic(Premium Exterior Paint)like dulux weathershield.I would like to see what it looks like after being in the weather for ten years?
I tend to stick to something I know and trust and can personally guarantee.

Thanks for the reply pa1nter.

I've officially retired from painting. The idea of painting the entire house seemed nice - but half way through it, I could definitely see the attraction of paying to get it done.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks for the reply pa1nter.

I've officially retired from painting. The idea of painting the entire house seemed nice - but half way through it, I could definitely see the attraction of paying to get it done.

Cheers

Jamie

and that is why i think a lot of LL's don't let tenants paint themselves!

i enjoy the painting, just not the prep. i think i'm pretty good too. my grandfather was a painter and i used to help him all the time. if it didn't move he'd be painting it.

Back