A nation of whingers

The article was mostly about the economy and how good we have it. The big business and consumer/business sentiment. There is a minor mention of politics about 2/3 way through the article.

????? Politics and the economy are separate subjects.

Then you will have no reason to whinge about the economy under a Liberal Government.

Reminds me of Fawlty Towers and "don,t mention the war"

I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are sick and tired of being fed up. I am certainly not and I am sick and tired of being told that I am.

The problem is the media. Everything is shock! horror! disaster! catastrophe! and we also have tv media that portrays young people (ie under 30) as having everything, and with brand names to boot. As such, a feeling has developed amongst a lot of the population that they are somehow missing out because they don't have everything now.

The issue is not that Australians are whingers, it's that their gullible.

Are you saying people aren't responsible for their own whingeing?

That they're somehow brainwashed and do it on remote control, controlled by the media?

The problem is the media. Everything is shock! horror! disaster! catastrophe! and we also have tv media that portrays young people (ie under 30) as having everything, and with brand names to boot. As such, a feeling has developed amongst a lot of the population that they are somehow missing out because they don't have everything now.

The issue is not that Australians are whingers, it's that their gullible.

Are you saying people aren't responsible for their own whingeing?

That they're somehow brainwashed and do it on remote control, controlled by the media?

The majority of people are not particularly intelligent. Sure, we can say people are responsible for their own whinging (and hey, they are the ones doing it), but combine a lack of thinking with media dumbing down and you've got a recipe for convincing the masses they're hard done by.

There's a reason shows like 'A Current Affair' and 'Today Tonight' exist.

This post deserves a big tick, just about says it all ;)

I think people whinge more now for 2 reasons, the Nanny State mentality which is encouraged by the legal fraternity (judges in particular) and the fact that social media gives anyone an opportunity to broadcast their whinge.

There is raising concern.

Then there is whingeing.

I don't see it as being party political, because there is more than life to just blindly parroting the latest slogan you heard from Andrew Bolt or Mike Carlton.

It's about dealing with the continual whingeing and moaning about very trivial things.

People do not take any form of responsbility for outcomes any more. It is all about "the government should do this" or "we don't have this". Not "how can we get this".

I see it all the time during community consultation - "they" should be providing a community garden for us. No. They have already provided you with the land. How about you get off the couch and join with your neighbours and actually get a community garden happening. "They" need to provide us with a decent cafe. No. They don't. If there is a market for it, do it yourself.

Those examples came out of a recent project I did - a suburb that claimed to be a real community. They weren't. A couple of old timers were. One of them donated the land for a community hall 50 years ago and built it himself with other residents. He donated the land for a community garden. Is the community prepared to get involved and establish it themselves? No. But they will complain that Council hasn't done something for them.

It is about lack of self reliance and actually doing things that don't just help out yourself. And it is something that has gone from Australian society. We have a culture of entitlement now. We have had such a good run and had so much provided for us, by successive governments of both colours, that we now just expect these things to be continually handed to us.

People need to realise it shouldn't work that way and that there needs to be some initiative shown by the community, and the individual, to achieve outcomes that they want to achieve.

The 'whinge' may be coming from people materially comfortable enough make it look like a mass psychological delusion, Evan, but if you listen to what is whinged about then its politics becomes patently clear.

The following comes from a British press story today about a welfare family whose six children literally went up in flames for it -

The Tories transformed a crisis of capitalism into a crisis of public spending, and determined that the most vulnerable would make the biggest sacrifices. But taking away support from the disabled, the unemployed and the working poor is not straightforward. It can only be achieved by a campaign of demonisation – to crush any potential sympathy. Benefit recipients must only appear as feckless, workshy scroungers, living in opulent quasi-mansions with wall-to-wall widescreen TVs . . . .
Read more

Great article Belbo.

That Carole Malone is a piece of work. Almost as bad as right wing fools Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt et al.

That Carole Malone is a piece of work. Almost as bad as right wing fools Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt et al.

What's wrong with Andrew?

He used to work for your boys (Labor) once upon a time don't forget.

I reckon he's bloody right on the money, and doesn't always just get stuck into the Greens and Labor (even though at the moment he's like a kid in a candy shop with what Labor are doing around the place)....

How many more jobs disappeared this week/month?

And how many Industrial Workplace claims were made in Qld alone against BHP Benneton this year? (3100)

Ya can't just keep on giving it out to the down-and-outers. Yes, they need more dough, but so do lots of folk.

At the end of the day, the whole Country needs incentive to work, incentive to invest, incentive to build, infrastructure, more jobs and so on...

FWIW; the average person who works hard and struggles to get by in life is never gunna be happy hearing sooking coming from the welfare brigade.

If you pump out 6 kids, smoke like a chimney and suck on a slab of VB's a week, and can't rub two dollar coins together then that's sad; but you made you own decisions; you made your own bed.

Just suck it up and don't go on TV and cry about it.

There was an article in our local paper this week about how tough the lower income earners are doing it and so on. There was a family showcased who have two kids; one was huge and so was the wife....crying about how they can't feed the kids and so forth. pfft.

I never saw a starving fat person ever. Get out of the drive-thru, stop buying coke and other cr@p and drink bloody water out of the tap.

The husband hasn't worked in 10 years and reckoned he is not being given jobs because he had a workcare claim from a job accident 10 years ago. No doubt true about the accident, but office work can be modified to be low-level physical work. Plenty of wheelchair bound folk out there doin' the do (this bloke is not in a wheelchair).

Interesting one that; how would he know any employer would do that? They certainly would never say it because if they did, they would be in court for discrimination before you could say "get me a lawyer".

Nup; it's imagined; he's a "victim" and crying in the press. If he was any good he'd have a job doing something/anything if he really wanted to.

This is the sort of stuff that article from Carole is alluding to I suspect.

Last edited:
I think whinging and having your say are the same thing only if you are a very negative person.
So Kerry Packer was right all those years ago,If you don't complain,you don't have too explain,times are long gone when people thought that way..

Just read through the entire thread and I've gotta say that I am exhausted from listening to all of you whingers....

It would be nice to see you post something happy for once Evan:)

Surely life isn't that bad that you have to create a post whingeing about the whingers!

Here you go, evand, to add to your whinge files.

Australia has marked the Queen's Diamond Jubilee by relieving the Poms of the burden of being the world's biggest whingers – the UK now can enjoy the long weekend and have a happy Olympic Games.

Australians, though, have nothing but concentrated misery ahead of them: if the economy is good, it will only get worse; if the economy is not good, it's sure to become terrible; if the sun shines, we'll all get melanomas; and so on.

The national talent for highlighting the silver cloud's dark lining is on display in the fevered calls for the Reserve Bank to cut its cash rate by 50 points tomorrow. Apparently Australia is in dire straits and urgently needs greater monetary stimulus. Unemployment is skyrocketing, our key trading partners are down the gurgler, there's no investment to speak of, the record low yield on 10-year commonwealth bonds is a forecast of Armageddon and the government and opposition are both run by politicians. Well, one out of five isn't a bad score.

I think you and Michael Pascoe are soulmates.

Why does pointing out that people whinge so much make on a whinger. I would love more positivity myself. But all i see is whinge complain blame. How does that make me (or Pascoe) a whinger?

Why does pointing out that people whinge so much make on a whinger. I would love more positivity myself. But all i see is whinge complain blame. How does that make me (or Pascoe) a whinger?

Oh, no, I wasn't implying that. I just saw the article and thought of you. I pretty much agree with it, actually. I think a 50 point rate cut would be premature. We need to leave room to move if/when things truly do go south, but if the RBA doesn't cut, it's criticised for not caring about honest hardworking battlers doing it tough in the apocalyptic wasteland that is Australia. Anyway, ignore me, good sir.

Back