A New Property Forum

Its another resource for like minded property investors to network, help others and share ideas. Why is it spam :confused:

While I agree that the post is not spam, I am not sure about whether it is a good thing to post on one property forum, which has been hosted due to the generosity of Ian and Jan Somers, to post about another property forum.

On the one hand, the guideline from Ian has always been that if something is of value, and is provided at no cost or a small cost, and is of potential value to members, then it's OK. Especially if posted as a resource from an existing long term and respected member.

On the other hand, it seems to me to be a little disrespectful of the forum owners to be posting details about a forum which appears to only duplicate the functions of this one.

The jury is still out.

While I agree that the post is not spam, I am not sure about whether it is a good thing to post on one property forum, which has been hosted due to the generosity of Ian and Jan Somers, to post about another property forum.

On the one hand, the guideline from Ian has always been that if something is of value, and is provided at no cost or a small cost, and is of potential value to members, then it's OK. Especially if posted as a resource from an existing long term and respected member.

On the other hand, it seems to me to be a little disrespectful of the forum owners to be posting details about a forum which appears to only duplicate the functions of this one.

The jury is still out.

On reflection & out of respect to our hosts maybe this thread should be deactivated along with all other links throughout this forum to another well known property investment forum duplicating the same.

That forum is pain to my eyes. This one is much easier on the eye

Agreed, we're all better looking at this Forum ;)

Lot's of forums out there in the wide wide world of web*, but Somersoft has stood the test of time, there's a great wealth of knowledge and buried treasure within the threads from members present and past

* Joy "It's not the computer talkin', It's somebody in the wide wide world of web"

It must be very new.

After signing up (and logging in), I went to My Profile -> View Profile and got this:

Access Denied
You tried to enter an area where you didn't have access.
Continue...

I'm not allowed to find out who I am or what my hobbies are :(

I actually just came from that forum after a post mentioned Somersoft, view profile works for me, and I certainly prefer the layout to the blah "90's website" lavender background. But none of those are really important factors, its the information available that matters!

I found Your Investment Property to have a pretty good wealth of expert knowledge because the journalists from the magazine and some industry heavyweights are answering questions. But this forum being older definitely has a bigger following which means a more diverse range of opinion.

Like everything else, each resource is a tool with its own merits, using one doesn't preclude the use of the other!

Personally Ians philosophy of providing value sounds solid to me.

I'm surprised it has taken the mags so long to start their own forums. I reckon I've only got room in my life for one forum though.

I'm not sure journalists are always the best people to answer questions, either. They're better at asking them.

I'm surprised it has taken the mags so long to start their own forums. I reckon I've only got room in my life for one forum though.

I'm not sure journalists are always the best people to answer questions, either. They're better at asking them.

Likewise!! :D And if I can't find what I want here, I remember the wisdom of ages - "Google is your friend"

I am a little upset, because I ran this past them as a promo with my site I am in process of developing around 6 months ago when my forums first went live. Looks like they got some inspiration from my suggestions.

:confused:

I think it's more spam if it were Rixter's first and only post and if it were to benefit him financially (or alike), but as a fairly long standing forumite I have a lot of respect for him and the quality he has contributed to this forum. Perhaps do some research before assuming Rixter is spamming for personal gain. In saying this, thank you Rixter for sharing.

And for Nathan, this is his forum, which could really do with some more friendly faces :)

I think its disturbing how loyalty can turn into blind fanatacism, especially on a property forum of all places. I have forums I like, I still flirt with other forums.

If I find a book I like, I don't stop reading other books. I understand that a forum is a community and that people are loyal, but like I said before, one doesn't preclude the other. It's entirely possible for happy co-existence :)

personally i think its a bit arrogant to post urls for other related investor forums.....desperadoes hoping to solicit punters to move across from s/s?

bit like channel 9 advertising what ch 7 is showing on tv tonight...

same diff... it stinks to me!

I liked it better when there was just SS and the "Dark Side".

Hilariously amusing rants and raves, disciples of chosen gurus foaming at the keyboard and graphs flying like arrows in a high octane environment of high debt and even higher risk. Huge Fun!

Now the Dark Side has gone and it all seems a bit D&G.
I couldn't be bothered with more of that?

Although I rarely post these days, SS is still a terrific resource for me both as an archive and a source of currently relevant info. There is a well established core of loyal contributors willing to share the benefit of their worthwhile real life experience. Ya can't buy stuff like that. :)

Cheers,
Beef.

CSC,

You can't really compare a moderated discussion to a tv channel. Besides which monopolies are the enemy of progress, I say bring on the healthy competition.

Back