A Quick Bathroom Reno

The stuff behind it "looked" like fibro said:
Just a tip- Not ALL asbestos had the hexagon pattern to the back.
In fact the majority didn't have this pattern!
only way to know for sure, is to have it tested. :eek:

Where did you get the sheets?

Wow! That looks great. :)

We'd be interested in using that for a bathroom that's going to be nightmare once the tiles come off. It's an old early 60's house down the NSW South Coast and the bathroom walls had horsehair re-inforced plaster.

Where did you get the sheets from?

ah...I just re-read the thread. Foremost Plastics in Qld. Now I need to find a NSW supplier. Does the plastic have a particular brand name to help me track the same or equivalent?

Jireh

Last edited:
Thanks, Sheet is 3mm white plexiglass with a 30 year warranty against yellowing, costs about $80 a sheet (1220 x 2400) delivered.

this is a good idea especially if you want save costs.
would be keen to use this in the future.

save money on the tiles etc.

good question

Could you use the plexiglass as kitchen splashback????

You would have to ascertain whether it meets with the Fire rating required for splashbacks.

Laminex make a product called Metaline, which is rated for splashbacks, but must be installed by an approved installer (We are accredited)
Downside is it is EXPENSIVE :(

mrsdawnrazor What waterproofing didi you use behind the plexiglass and under the bath.
None, there was none there before and it was probably 20 years old.
Remember this is plastic sheet, its waterproof anyway, tiles can leak through groutlines, joints on this are siliconed so waterproof.
Under the old shower (fiberglass) never had waterproofing either and I put none under the new bath. It's hard to imagine water seeping through a metal bath.

Was it easy to install?
yes

Great work!! Thanks for posting pics..looking forward to more!

Never seen that product before...what a good idea!

wonder if you have any updated photos of the finished bathroom?

i bought some plexiglass for like $100 per sheet @ port melbourne but they cut it for whatever size i wanted to use it - which is for a study benchtop.

Hi Melbournian,
Can I get the name of supplier in Port Melbourne please?
Also same size as mentioned in earlier posts?

DEC,
Been following the thread with great interest. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to completed photos

http://www.mitchellgroup.com.au/mp/showroom.aspx

i had the sizes cut up 2.2 meter X 1.2 meter sheet i think and put it on my builtin study benchtop and pencil shelf. it gives a good finish and is cheaper than glass. haven't silicon it yet to the top - waiting on finishing up the painting.

Attachments

• plexiglass study top.jpg
    plexiglass study top.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 126
A trap for the unwary

p1000324z.jpg

Make sure you dont have liquid nails to close to the edges of the sheet.
I did, it squeezed out past the edge but not enough to affect the application of the silicon, but it did react with it and changed the colour of the silicon within a few days in sections and has now fully blossomed to this lovely peach colour.
At least it matches the window surrounds :)

I have done a test since on fully cured liquid nails and have had no discolouration.
An easy enough fix, sharp knife and some more silicon.

Make sure you dont have liquid nails to close to the edges of the sheet.
I did, it squeezed out past the edge but not enough to affect the application of the silicon, but it did react with it and changed the colour of the silicon within a few days in sections and has now fully blossomed to this lovely peach colour.
At least it matches the window surrounds :)

I have done a test since on fully cured liquid nails and have had no discolouration.
An easy enough fix, sharp knife and some more silicon.

Thanks for posting this tip!

Back