Aaron Sice saves the day

That is a great look, will fit in well in that neck of the woods.

How long will it take all up from start to finish.

Can you provide some costings at this point??? Really just curious.

Aaron, is this type of structure used in Perth, Perth mentality double brick or nothing:confused:

Cheers, MTR

this is framed and stumps to minimise site impact and get enough height for sewer invert run without building a bund for the drains.

"down south" builds have a different mentality. the main demographic is into the beaxh house idea, so framed is accepted.

the great thing is the established peppies wont grow any more, so the potential impact is not worth thinking about.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&tbo...bde6b9b10dad57&bpcl=39918873&biw=1280&bih=857

yes, they are native. they aren't like gum trees that drop heaps of branches. They do get very big though.
This is my old neighbours peppermint tree in Perth, about 40 year old after quite a massive trim back. I would guess that where Ausprops property is it is more coastal and cooler so may not reach that big. On a sidenote Rockstar, you can grow tropical plants like Poincianna and Mangoe trees in Perth but most grow to full height of about 10% less than what they would grow in Brisbane. I think gumtrees reach about the same height.

Attachments

• pep tree.jpg
    pep tree.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Ahh the old Agonis flexuosa. These are common street trees in Newcastle. It may be mature but I still wouldn't go feeding it too much. :D

Hope it is as stable as you say. As a horticulturist, I couldn't see it stop growing. If it is continuing to get a flush of leaves each year then the trunk will add another growth ring and continue to thicken - law of nature. If it stops growing it will begin to decline and dieback will begin.
Having said this I am happy to be proven wrong for the sake of the owner - and the house.

......and peppies dont blow nor grow once they hit this size.

i originally designed a notch out around the tree, looks like the builder has removed it to simplify the design somewhat.

http://somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9430&d=1351752888

still, looks awesome. so happy with that design. completion party?

Uh oh - those trees do get wider/fatter at the trunk as they age.

Why did the builder not conform to the plans which were approved by Council. Naughty Naughty!

Great work John and Aaron.

I always love hearing stories about adverse conditions being turned into a favorable outcome...

All the best

B.D

the trees are about 40 years as far as the shire could tell me.

the fact they have a split trunk also suggests they are at their limit as far as size goes. i can kick a coke can and hit the beach from this site, so they aren't going to grow like a well loved suburban street tree.

you can tell by the sporadic leaf patterns that they get a hammering. my agonis is only 5 years old and i live pretty close to the coast with the same growht pattern - heavy root stock, very big limbs, minimal leaf clumps and growing more vertical than weeping.

......and peppies dont blow nor grow once they hit this size.

i originally designed a notch out around the tree, looks like the builder has removed it to simplify the design somewhat.

http://somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9430&d=1351752888

still, looks awesome. so happy with that design. completion party?

yes the notch appears in the floor and window but doesn't seem to be there in the roof cover? have you been down there Aaron... it would have been better if the roof line was notched as well?

Great work John and Aaron.

I always love hearing stories about adverse conditions being turned into a favorable outcome...

All the best

B.D

cheers BD. looking at it, it appears simple, but I swear this project has developed into one of the most challenging and difficult developments I have ever done. a GFC and total change of direction would have attributed to that!

Ahh the old Agonis flexuosa. These are common street trees in Newcastle. It may be mature but I still wouldn't go feeding it too much. :D

Hope it is as stable as you say. As a horticulturist, I couldn't see it stop growing. If it is continuing to get a flush of leaves each year then the trunk will add another growth ring and continue to thicken - law of nature. If it stops growing it will begin to decline and dieback will begin.
Having said this I am happy to be proven wrong for the sake of the owner - and the house.

I think part of the reason the council likes them retained is that there is a possum specific to this region that likes to jump from tree to tree, so you need a possum expert's opinion before you can develop anything. they need to be present as a spotter when there is any tree removal also. They use to inhabit the roof of the old house and their urine started to saturate the celings - if I had retained that house I may have resorted to ultrasonic deterrents. Anyway I intend to plant some immature trees out on the verge, may as well 'plant a seed for tomorrow'.

yes the notch appears in the floor and window but doesn't seem to be there in the roof cover? have you been down there Aaron... it would have been better if the roof line was notched as well?

yeah roof was meant to be notched as well, can see the lines for it on the elevation.

ah well...

That's a good idea in case they ever do threaten the house. Do you ever get serious storm events in the area?

Ohh yeh - get some awesome storms down there. the hosue is very protected tho by the vegetation on the beach dunes. it can be deceivign as you can walk over to the beach thining its a still day and it can be really blwoing.

Inside photo

had a site inspection the other day... 44 degrees for inspecting unairconditioned new builds is not a good idea. nonetheless is looking awesome, 2 weeks to completion!

interesting perspective that first pic, as you walk out of the passage it looks like the whole front is glass, but it's actually quite private.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 132
had a site inspection the other day... 44 degrees for inspecting unairconditioned new builds is not a good idea. nonetheless is looking awesome, 2 weeks to completion!

interesting perspective that first pic, as you walk out of the passage it looks like the whole front is glass, but it's actually quite private.

Looks fantastic. Can't believe how quick its been.

the build process itself... call it 3 months. Think it qualifies as my quickest build ever.

Amazing.
Remember the good old boom days when it took 6 months just to get the title for land and 12 months to build.

Interested to know what your end plan is with this, I assume market is still pretty flat - high end stuff

Cheers. MTR

Amazing.
Remember the good old boom days when it took 6 months just to get the title for land and 12 months to build.

Interested to know what your end plan is with this, I assume market is still pretty flat - high end stuff

Cheers. MTR

speaking to the agent yesterday, seems the high end stuff is what's moving, being $2m+. Presumably the resources boom and the 25% returns or so on the share market last year. the cheap end is moving and the midddle of the market which I assume is $700- $1.9 ish is slow... think that was the summary. Plan at present is to holiday let. Down the other end of town in old duns there apparantly isn't much quality available and it's moving out pretty quick

2 weeks to completion!

Nice to see it moving along so well mate.

2 weeks sounds a bit worrying to me. Sometimes rushing things too much can create issues with inferior trade work and it pi$$es tradies off if they're under too much pressure. You still need to do fix out, painting throughout, tiling, fit off plumbing and electrical, floor coverings, window furnishings, cleaning, etc.

Your tradies will be tripping over each other to get it all done in 2 weeks!

I will predict 3 - 4 wks. :D

Back