Abbott or Gillard...?

Abbott or Gillard to win the election ?

• Tony Abbott

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Julia Gillard

Votes: 53 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
According to the hype female voters are flocking to Labor in droves to keep a woman in the seat. Meanwhile there have not been reports of large numbers of men swinging away from Labor because of a female leader.

Does this mean that men are more balanced in their approach to politics and the issues of the day while many women are simply gender bias?

Or is it the medias love affair with Julia - the first Australian female Prime Minister that is slanting the polls?

We'll see what happens when the votes are in.

Regards

Andrew

The media are certainly making a meal of her being female! It really is a bit cringe-worthy.

As a mum though, I really don't see her as anything that different to a man standing there. Now if she was a mum to a few kids who has had similar hurdles to me, that would be different.

So far I have been far from impressed with Labor's promises and waiting for things to hot up a bit from the Libs.

The media are certainly making a meal of her being female! It really is a bit cringe-worthy.

I agree, they seem to be saying majority of women are voting labor, which may or may not be the case, but their reasoning seems to be that women are so pathetic they're voting just because she's female. I wonder what the previous elections have been in terms of gender and voting. Maybe women in general have always had a majority vote for labor? I don't know what the statistics are, but it is annoying me hear them talk about the female vote for the female prime minister. I'm female and I'd vote for 1,000 Tony Abbott's over one Julia Gillard!

Not here Lisa! We are all intelligent :p adults here with our own views on it all but also smart enough to know we won't always agree with everyone.

Nice isn't it, to be have to a good discussion without it getting too ugly?

Now if it was a family BBQ (my family in particular :rolleyes:) the whole subject would be taboo BIG time! (It gets really loud and heated due to loud-mouthed opionated relatives of mine who think they are ALWAYS right)

Biggles, I agree. I'm sick of the media thinking that us females are so easily won over by one of our 'own fair sex' gag

Not here Lisa! .....
Now if it was a family BBQ (my family in particular :rolleyes:)
Looks as if Mrs fish and the three sprats are not going to vote for Abbott, partly for his religious beliefs.

The joke is: Our Labor candidate is awful!

But Tony must really believe in Santa Claus and Christmas In July. :D What a gift to have "Will the real Jooolia please stand up!" as a catch cry. We were told it isn't the one that was Dep Prime Minister who stood behind Rudd nodding. Now we are told it isn't even the one we had last week and that she has again seen the light and cast off The Machine Men.

Clearly she has had it too easy and doesn't understand that there are enough who consider their politics, who don't fall for the "fresh face", to make a difference.

Hi Thorpey,

Labor $1.50

Coalition $2.50

with sportingbet.

Anyone who got the $3.50-75 on Abbott is looking good if they want to lay off the otherside of the bet.

bye

Hi Bill!
Yeah I did that already a couple months ago now...I always thought the Libs would tighten closer to the election so I backed them at 4.20 waited awhile, then laid off at 3.00 and greened up the field...I can't lose....unlike Julia or Tony...:D

Anyways, the punters are saying it's getting close now and that Labour are on the nose ...will be interesting how the punting v's polling goes with the result...mind you...the punters will get close as the election gets closer but my poll has been closed at a major win for Abbott....nothing I can do to change it now whereas the punters keep punting....:rolleyes:

The way things are going I think Labor will be even more on the nose closer to the election due to K. Rudd.

My feeling is he's being restrained and calculating while going in for the big kill.

Sure it's closer now than what it was at the start of the campaign but the $1.57 for Labor on Betfair equates to a 63.7% implied chance of winning. The Coalition is a 38.8% chance based on odds of $2.66. (102.5% market shows that it's not quite perfect)

So it's still not really that close (if only taking punters' opinions into account).

One complication I read about today is that there may be 4 Independents in the chamber after the election - the current 3 (Katter, Oakeshott & Windsor) plus Adam Bandt if he wins Melbourne for the Greens. Not sure if the country if ready for that combination to hold the balance of power.

Hi all,

A hung parliament is a very real possibility with Katter siding with the coalition and Bandt with labor. No idea about the others. Such a thing would be worse than either major party winning.

Odds would be high for another election within a year if that happened. Markets would hate a hung parliament and I would expect a bit of tanking happening as the reality of it hits.

bye

Katter is/was Country Party. The conservatives shifted left and left him on his Pat Mallone. He didn't go there. LOL

He really is a "unique" individual. The airlines roll their eyes when he is booked to fly -- always late. Been known to make the flight and to forget that Mrs Katter was supposed to fly with him. But if I were in Kennedy, I'd vote for him. What ya seez is what ya getz.

Hi all,

A hung parliament is a very real possibility with Katter siding with the coalition and Bandt with labor. No idea about the others. Such a thing would be worse than either major party winning.

Odds would be high for another election within a year if that happened. Markets would hate a hung parliament and I would expect a bit of tanking happening as the reality of it hits.

bye

Oakeshott and Windsor both have National Party backgrounds too, so could be expected to favour the Coalition in the event....

See John Howard joined the Libs campaign tonight. Is he going for the hattrick? - lost the 2007 election and his own seat, lost the ICC-President-Electship, lost the 2010 election for Abbott...

Katter is/was Country Party. The conservatives shifted left and left him on his Pat Mallone. He didn't go there. LOL

He really is a "unique" individual. The airlines roll their eyes when he is booked to fly -- always late. Been known to make the flight and to forget that Mrs Katter was supposed to fly with him. But if I were in Kennedy, I'd vote for him. What ya seez is what ya getz.

I've still got a Vote Bob Katter sign I "found" nailed to a tree on the Charters Towers Road back in 1999. Funny man. It takes pride of place in my pool room.

I've still got a Vote Bob Katter sign I "found" nailed to a tree on the Charters Towers Road back in 1999. Funny man. It takes pride of place in my pool room.
Anyone with a big head of white hair can't be all bad. LOL I have had guys come up to me and ask if I'm in politics. Dunno if Bob would be impressed: I'm a little older than him. :)

So how is Rudd qualified to sell to the electorate policies he was so set against, he lost the PM's job over?

Oh silly me.....I forgot it is a popularity contest.

Anyway all is clear now......The real Julia Gillard is.........

Kevin Rudd on even days.....and the Shadow Men on odd days :rolleyes:

It's definately all gone a bit cockeyed. The (not so clever) Shadow Men wouldn't have foreseen any of this in Gillards first week as PM. I reckon they would have thought they had it by the short and curlies when the polls saw Labor shoot up like they did :D.

Economist slams record of major parties - TheAge
RESPECTED economist and former Labor adviser Ross Garnaut has delivered a scathing critique of the major parties' political and economic record, accusing both of failing in leadership.

Productivity had gone backwards since 2005, replaced as the engine of growth by a huge and unsustainable expansion of housing and consumption supported by increasing bank debt.
Professor Garnaut accused Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott of a ''breathtaking side-stepping of responsibility'' by treating failure of leadership over infrastructure and transport bottlenecks in cities as a debate about population and immigration. ''The change [on population] has large implications, but has been accompanied by no analysis of economic growth and incomes,'' he said.

He said neither party had a plan to deal with climate change - a problem that could terminate the era of global and Australian economic growth. Every year of delay and poor climate policy was another cut to Australia's tightly constrained standard of living.

He said the major parties had shown little sign of concern about productivity. ''We do not know even whether the opposition knows that Australia has a longstanding productivity problem, let alone what it would do to resolve it.''

Hits the nail on the head IMHO.

Back