Accepting Credit Cards Alternatives/Merchant

My friend is starting a business working from home and money is tight. She wants to be able to accept credit card payments through her website, phone etc but the $60 monthly bank fees for being a merchant and having the eftpos machine or swiper is a bit rich for her at the moment.

She's looked at Paypal and Bpay but they aren't alternatives.

Would this do it? http://www.eway.com.au/

Basically, is there a way of accepting credit card payments without the monthly costs and the gadgets - (pay per transaction would be ideal) just until she gets on her feet.

Thanks

I use tyro

It has a monthly fee $11 fee with their terminal plus costs. Buy the terminal and it is $5.50. Card costs on top. That is for a fixed terminal to an adsl line.

I notice that there is a new gadget for paypal which costs $139 for a card reader and 2% of card processed amounts. Looked appealing, but I already have my tyro terminal and I don't have PayPal.

Eway is a gateway - you still need a merchant account with one of the banks. (We use eway, and we use Live eftpos, still need a merchant account - which shouldn't be that much).

My friend is starting a business working from home and money is tight. She wants to be able to accept credit card payments through her website, phone etc but the $60 monthly bank fees for being a merchant and having the eftpos machine or swiper is a bit rich for her at the moment.

She's looked at Paypal and Bpay but they aren't alternatives.

Would this do it? http://www.eway.com.au/

Basically, is there a way of accepting credit card payments without the monthly costs and the gadgets - (pay per transaction would be ideal) just until she gets on her feet.

Thanks
Just tell her to tell the customers to pay by online debit to her account.

Once the money is in, send the goods.

Most folks buying online are used to it now.

No CC's required.

Last edited:
Just tell her to tell the customers to pay by online debit to her account.

Once the money is in, send the goods.

Most folks buying online are used to it now.

No CC's required.

If I saw somewhere that only accepted bank deposit as a form of payment I wouldn't shop there.

Main reason being there's no recourse if the goods are not delivered or damaged and the seller is not helpful in trying to resolve the situation. If I use my credit card then I can lodge a dispute.

Other reasons being credit card is instantaneous whereas if you bank at a different bank to the merchant the transfer can take several days and I also get CC rewards points when I use my CC.

Back