Ray White Payment Gateway fee -- anyone use this system?

Next time the rent came up for review, which is six months at most (in SA, anyway), the extra fee would be added to the rent.

It's not rocket science, Jaycee.

I'm sorry, have I offended you by not not agreeign with this Ray White charge ?

How about

Don't charge the tenant
Don't charge the landlord....
Do the bloody job like everyone else, why are you the only one who seems to have to charge more than everyone else to stay in business ?

it's not rocket scienceRay White

I agree. But 'shouldn't' doesn't mean a jot. A lot of people and organisations do things they 'shouldn't ' do.

If they DO charge a fee, why should the owner wear it? The owner already pays $5.50 per month for 'post & sundries', even though the rent statements are emailed.

Coles doesn't charge you a SEPARATE fee to pay your groceries, but you can be sure it is covered in their markups. They don't just wear it.

So what are you suggesting / implying Dan ? A lot of landlords have posted opinions suggesting they dont like this, what are you saying to and about us ?

I know Coles covers their costs.... however, if an item is the same price (like 1 litre milik) at Coles & woolwoirths .. and Coles all of a sudden started charging $10c extra, you cna bet people would notcie and talke about it. Because people woud ask why the devil has Coles gone mad all of a sudden after so many decades and wonder why Woolworths and all the other stores don't have to charge this extra 10c to cover their costs - as you said, it's not rpocket science :)

OK, I have already said - three times - I don't like the charge, and there SHOULD be a way of the tenant paying rent that is fee free. I agree with you that the charge is not right.

But it doesn't really matter how I think Ray White SHOULD be doing business. What matter is how they ARE doing business.

If I don't like it I have three choices.

1) Move my business elsewhere.
2) Oncharge the fee through increased rent to the tenant, so I'm not out of pocket.
3) Cop the fee while complaining to anyone who'll listen to my moaning.

If you don't like Ray White's decision, then take your business elsewhere. Bellyaching about what they should or shouldn't do is a waste of time.

Good luck at consumer affairs...

RW has invested in a system that has increased efficiency and reduced their operating costs. Then they charge tenants to use a system that benefits only RW, not the tenant.
This means that RW should be the one absorbing the fee but perhaps they could pass some of it onto the landlord though their property management fee / postage and pettys etc.

OK, I have already said - three times - I don't like the charge, and there SHOULD be a way of the tenant paying rent that is fee free. I agree with you that the charge is not right.

But it doesn't really matter how I think Ray White SHOULD be doing business. What matter is how they ARE doing business.

If I don't like it I have three choices.

1) Move my business elsewhere.
2) Oncharge the fee through increased rent to the tenant, so I'm not out of pocket.
3) Cop the fee while complaining to anyone who'll listen to my moaning.

If you don't like Ray White's decision, then take your business elsewhere. Bellyaching about what they should or shouldn't do is a waste of time.

Good luck at consumer affairs...

I already said I self manage so hae already chosen to not use Ray White.

We're discussing a topic nd sharing our opinions on it, maybe it's belly aching , not so sure

It's not a PM fee, it's a bank fee. Just like you pay when you book a flight or pay your phone bill.

I don't think you dhould have to pay to make a payment either, but it makes even less sense for the owner to pay for YOU to make YOUR payment.

And easy on the eyerolling, you'll give yourself a headache...

It's not a bank fee. The fee stems from the Ray White Gateway payment system - software that Ray White willing pay money to use to help them sort out their many different ledgers, etc.

I'd consider it a property management fee and believe it should really come out of the property management fees they deduct a percentage of the rent for.

I've actually been arguing with Ray White over this fee today... here are the emails:

Me:

I am not happy with my current ledger - the $2 payment fee seems to be coming out of the money I am paying. I dispute this amount outstanding and would like it be rectified. Let me make it clear I will not be paying then $2 payment fee since a free payment option was never provided to me.

In NSW, you must provide 1 free method of paying rent - this was never provided to me. Can you please advise of such details so I can pay rent this way from now on? I am more than happy to come into the office and pay cash if required.

Their response:
The free method of payment is: You can go to St George bank and get 4 free bank cheques a month provided you open a bank account with them. That is our free option.

Me:

Yeah, sorry but that is a joke. I won't be paying the $2 payment fee. I will go to tribunal if you guys want to push the issue further.

Them:

We do not deduct that fee it is a payment fee - BPAY? is that the method you use?.

Please see attached the payment form. The second page has a list of all the fees and charges in the first column down the bottom.

This is a standard fee for Bpay. It is not for us.

Me:

I think someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes if that's what they're telling you. The reason you guys charge a fee is because of the gateway system you use.

Ray White are the only real estate to do this from my experience. I don't get charges a fee when I pay my water, electricity, council, phone, or any other kind of bill.

Them:

It says on the form that I attached in my last email the following:

"TRANSACTION FEES: When you access the Ray White Payment Gateway services You agree to pay us a non-refundable transaction fee. These fees are currently:

Credit card fee 2.2%
Bank account fee $1.65
BPAY $2
OTC $3

No one is pulling the wool over your eyes

Me:

It's because of the "gateway payment system" you use - expensive software.

The costs should be incurred by the owner under property management fees since it is a tax deduction, not by the tenant.

I refuse to pay it as I was not incurring these fees with LJ Hooker, as well as my rent until my ledger is squared up by $14 and a reasonable FREE payment option provided.

I will take the matter to tribunal if need be.

Them:

I dont have time to be arguing this with you.

I have already told you that the free method of payment is: You can go to St George bank and get 4 free bank cheques a month provided you open a bank account with them. That is our free option. Alternatuively you can use your own cheques.

We will not be refunding the $14 to you.

Please make sure your payments are on time. They need to be paid in advance not in arrears.

I'm sorry if you have an issue with this but there is NOTHING I can do about it.

Me:

it's not a free payment option as St George will charge me $5 in bank fees per month.

I realise it's not your fault and it's nothing personal, but I will take the issue up with the relevant authority bodies.

I called the Department of Fair Trading today. They told me I had to give them written notice demanding a refund and a free payment option. If I'm not happy with the outcome, I can take take the matter to tribunal which will cost me $36. I'll do that over the principle of the matter.

This means that RW should be the one absorbing the fee but perhaps they could pass some of it onto the landlord though their property management fee / postage and pettys etc.

Why? It's like saying "I've done this to save myself money... now pay me for saving myself money"!

I've actually been arguing with Ray White over this fee today... here are the emails:

Me:

I am not happy with my current ledger - the $2 payment fee seems to be coming out of the money I am paying. I dispute this amount outstanding and would like it be rectified. Let me make it clear I will not be paying then $2 payment fee since a free payment option was never provided to me.

In NSW, you must provide 1 free method of paying rent - this was never provided to me. Can you please advise of such details so I can pay rent this way from now on? I am more than happy to come into the office and pay cash if required.

Their response:
The free method of payment is: You can go to St George bank and get 4 free bank cheques a month provided you open a bank account with them. That is our free option.

Me:

Yeah, sorry but that is a joke. I won't be paying the $2 payment fee. I will go to tribunal if you guys want to push the issue further.

Them:

We do not deduct that fee it is a payment fee - BPAY? is that the method you use?.

Please see attached the payment form. The second page has a list of all the fees and charges in the first column down the bottom.

Me:

I think someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes if that's what they're telling you. The reason you guys charge a fee is because of the gateway system you use.

Ray White are the only real estate to do this from my experience. I don't get charges a fee when I pay my water, electricity, council, phone, or any other kind of bill.

Them:

"TRANSACTION FEES: When you access the Ray White Payment Gateway services You agree to pay us a non-refundable transaction fee. These fees are currently:

Credit card fee 2.2%
Bank account fee $1.65
BPAY $2
OTC $3

Me:

The costs should be incurred by the owner under property management fees since it is a tax deduction, not by the tenant.

I refuse to pay it as I was not incurring these fees with LJ Hooker, as well as my rent until my ledger is squared up by $14 and a reasonable FREE payment option provided.

Them:

I have already told you that the free method of payment is: You can go to St George bank and get 4 free bank cheques a month provided you open a bank account with them. That is our free option. Alternatuively you can use your own cheques.

Please make sure your payments are on time. They need to be paid in advance not in arrears.

I'm sorry if you have an issue with this but there is NOTHING I can do about it.

Me:

it's not a free payment option as St George will charge me $5 in bank fees per month.

I realise it's not your fault and it's nothing personal, but I will take the issue up with the relevant authority bodies.

I called the Department of Fair Trading today. They told me I had to give them written notice demanding a refund and a free payment option. If I'm not happy with the outcome, I can take take the matter to tribunal which will cost me $36. I'll do that over the principle of the matter.

Bon,

Surely it's easier to move house ?

I'm not being facetious and taking the ****, I do mean it seriously.

Stuff like the above is why I self manage

Why? It's like saying "I've done this to save myself money... now pay me for saving myself money"!

Because NOONE else in the fkin country charges the fee, which tells you it is really really easy & normal to do buisenss wihtout needing that fee

You're right, we can all choose with our feet not to wether we give our properties to Ray WHite to manage or rent any properties managed by a Ray White PM - problem solved, don;'t do busienss with them....

Or do you think we should sya "wow, I wish they would charge me more money for NO BENEFIT TO ME !"

Ray White can obviously do what they live, but when tt is an odd thing they select to do, we may discuss it here, simply cause it's relevant to the topic of property management, therefore opinions on it will be sahred.....

Bon,

Surely it's easier to move house ?

I'm not being facetious and taking the ****, I do mean it seriously.

Stuff like the above is why I self manage

Of course I'm moving. I'm recovering from surgery right now, but as soon as I'm recovered I'll be moving straight away. They'll probably lodge a claim for the rent arrears against my bond and we'll be going to tribunal for it anyway. I know I'll lose money, but I don't care.. it's the principal of the matter.

The matter of bond is another interesting matter too... I have 2 bond lodgement advice numbers I've received in the mail, and only 1 is mine, LOL! I'll claim the other one first and then wait 12 months or so before taking it to tribunal, haha.

Me:

Their response:

Me:

Them:

Me:

Them:

Credit card fee 2.2%
Bank account fee $1.65
BPAY $2
OTC $3

Me:

Them:

Me:

I think we would all like to know the outcome of this please keep us informed. if you get your fees back could cost Ray white more than $14.

The fact that there free method is for you to open a bank account with Suncorp with your free 4 cheques per month is a joke and not really playing by the rules.

I think we would all like to know the outcome of this please keep us informed. if you get your fees back could cost Ray white more than $14.

The fact that there free method is for you to open a bank account with Suncorp with your free 4 cheques per month is a joke and not really playing by the rules.

Of course it's not. How is it a free option when I have to go set up an account with another bank and pay $5/mo account fees?

If I go to tribunal and I happen to win, I'll be asking the real estate cover the $36 application fee as well.

They also never provided the free option to me initially...

I kinda suspect they will buckle before going to tribunal though, but we'll see soon enough. I'll be sending the written notice the Department of Fair Trading advised me to do tomorrow.

stop whining and take it to the tribunal.

right or wrong it's less than a cup of coffee. about the same as using an atm from another bank.

Yes, but you have a choice in that matter.

It's just a money grab.

I'm not with Ray White, and based on that, never will be.

Or do you think we should sya "wow, I wish they would charge me more money for NO BENEFIT TO ME !"

Yeah that was my point... I quoted incorrectly.

As evidenced by my statement:

Zeddy said:
It's like saying "I've done this to save myself money... now pay me for saving myself money"!

I don't think RW should be charging people when all they are doing is cutting costs for themselves.

RW fees

I applaud you for trying.... this fee is appauling and yes we are currently with raywhite we love our house and dont want to move until we are ready to buy. im going to agent and ask what my free options are lol.... see what they say.. i didnt have to pay a fee when i paid my 2 weeks rent upfront or my bond!! so why should i have to pay now!

I actually work for Ray White.... Payment Gateway isn't a compulsary system. Payment Gateway is for tenants who wish to set up a direct debt payment from Ray Whites side, we have tenants who pay direct into the trust account, most of ours do.

It doesn't matter which real estate you give your property to manager, its the tenant who enter the property that decide the outcome when vacating. There will always be good and bad property managers, tenants, management. Remember a property manager is working best interest for the owner of the property.

If you think Ray White doesn't do a good job, why not manage the property privately? See how good you are at it.

I manage my own properties and I have been doing it for years. Would I use Ray White as a property Manager NO.

How can you say you are better than a private landlord?

I think your attitude to the tenants is poor, if you didn't have tenants you wouldn't have a job.

We have gained tenants from agents and some have complained about paying fees to agents, to me that is wrong. The landlord engages a property manager to manage the property and pays a good fee for that, so what gives the realestate agent the right to charge the tenant to receive their money?

I guess the next thing is that property managers will start charging the tenant to do a inspection of the property with the excuse we need to tell the owner how you are looking after their property.

Back