Ads....effective? NUP!

So, I'm sitting here watching the teev tonight.

Unfortunately, the main channel happens to be channel 10 due to the programs we wanted to watch, which is absolutely saturated with fast food chain ads for some reason these days.

Pleasingly, I realised that there never, ever, ever is a time during the day when I want to eat the fast food they bombard me with.. I mean; I never even think about it.

So, advertise your brains out KFC and Hungries et al!!

Generally, ads leave me cold. Actually; they leave me angry and determined to never buy that product.

Ads don't work on me. ;)

How 'bout you?

Last edited:
So, I'm sitting here watching the teev tonight.

Unfortunately, the main channel happens to be channel 10 due to the programs we wanted to watch, which is absolutely saturated with fast food chain ads for some reason these days.

Pleasingly, I realised that there never, ever, ever is a time during the day when I want to eat the fast food they bombard me with.. I mean; I never even think about it.

So, advertise your brains out KFC and Hungries et al!!

Generally, ads leave me cold. Actually; they leave me angry and determined to never buy that product.

Ads don't work. ;)

How 'bout you?

Hi BV

It's not about you:D

It's about those that support the millions of $$$ spent on these ads

Cheers

Pete

the programs we wanted to watch, which is absolutely saturated with fast food chain ads for some reason these days.
Ads don't work. ;)

BayView,
The ads are not for you. Its party-time on Friday night and young ppl with the 'munchies' need to be told where to go to get food :)

Oh gosh, it so works on my husband. We order online from Domino's once in a blue moon, and are consequently on their email list. They routinely (and wisely) send emails advertising the latest special around 5pm. I can't tell you how many times my hubby has messaged me within minutes of one of these emails arriving, suggesting we have Domino's for dinner!

Or if he's home, eg on the weekend, and we're together when I'm deciding what to do for dinner, a KFC ad comes on TV and he turns to me and says "how about we have KFC?". :rolleyes:

He's such a victim of advertising. It obviously works with some people. If he were single, he'd eat that junk every night. Fortunately for his health, he's not single. ;)

Though I am heading off to the USA for a month on Tuesday ... I imagine he'll be about 10 kilos heavier when I get back. :rolleyes: :D

No, I am inclined to be a stubborn coot...advertising doesn't do much for me apart from the interest in the work they have done, the creation of the ad for society and consumers.. the behind the scenes stuff.

I've always been like that, the more I am inundated with advertising'/the sell the more I follow my own drumbeat/path. For some reason...

When I am able to, I love to catch up with ABC and SBS programs, so I don't even think I see much of commercial tv.

Plus, in regards to food, I love to cook, they are little works of art, whoever is home kicks back in the kitchen, we have a beer and I cook and we talk, catch up, debrief and discuss property, travels, sciences and philosophy!

(Kidding on the philo. gotta pick my audience very carefully)

Advertising for the most part is more a turn off for me. Given a marketing background I'm always looking at the ads for the "con" or pull tricks that they put in there rather than the actual content.

Plus am more likely to look at those I know are effected by advertising around my office and realise those are the guys I don't want to end up like.

One of the things I think is weird is when they advertise food that is supposed to be served hot, and they just look cold!
I hate all pizza ads - thick soggy crusts, globules of cheese and fatty meats; and why do they also come with a serve of bread sticks? How many carbs do they think we should eat?
KFC is the sort of food that might taste ok when you are eating it (unless you get a glob of skin) but 10 minutes later....blegh!
Have never eaten McDonalds! But I dont mind Hungry Jacks as a once every coupla months treat.
Actually, the only take aways we eat are Thai and Indian.

Hi BV

It's not about you:D

It's about those that support the millions of $$$ spent on these ads

Cheers

Pete

It is about me;

it's about anyone with a pulse and one good eye. I'm in that category, and so are all of you.

The question is; who falls for it and who doesn't? ;)

Last edited:
I like T.V. Advertisments

It gives me a chance to flick though the channels to see what I missing.

Try doing that during the news on the commercial stations (ABC gets a pass).

They all have their brainwash breaks at the same time.

Notice also how they all finish off with the "feel-good" story to restore our hope in the world after smashing it down for 30 mins, like we are little kiddies who just heard a ghost story and need cheering up.

Penguinland.

BayView,
The ads are not for you. Its party-time on Friday night and young ppl with the 'munchies' need to be told where to go to get food :)

No, I'm talking about ALL the time. I just happened to post it on Fri - quarter time in the footy.

Even in the morning; my son is watching the teev before school and they're on.

The Hog's breath ads are good though :D

And if you watch a little closer, the fast-food, shampoo and beauty ads are absolutely targeted at the kids and the teenagers - have a look at the "talent" in them; all cool looking teenagers and twenty-somethings.

And; the phone, car, grog, drag race ads are on during the foottee - so they are after the bogan element in this timeslot of course.

I have just come through 5 months of hyperemesis (extreme morning sickness 24/7) and I couldn't bear to watch all the junk food adds without a bucket handy. I also noticed, because I was struggling with malnutrition and very serious weight loss, the number of weight loss ads on TV. In the state of mind and health I was in, the combination of the 2 made me really angry. On one hand people are sucked into eating garbage and growing fat and then they are convinced to spend money on some diet shakes or weight loss plan. The solution looks so very obvious, don't eat the crap and you won't get fat. Simple really.

I am usually not looking at the screen in the ad breaks. Reading (book, SMH, Good Weekend), writing a letter to someone, crossword, sewing. So any ad has to be pretty compelling to get me to look up.

BV, I used to be cynical about advertising when I was a teen.....until a wise old ad guy said to me "take a walk around your house and see how many non advertised brands there are".

It drove home that in general when faced with the choice to purchase a brand we have heard of, and one that we haven't, most people go with the former.

But I think once people set goals on specific values and knowledge, they don't make as many decisions based on fear or uncertainty or doing what the herd is doing. But there is few of them around, that multinationals will remain multinationals.

Anyway, boy I hope that doesn't sound too negative and cynical....shucks....

Everyone says that Coke sells itself when in reality they spend millions of dollars to make sure they stay at number one. The Coke sign at Kings Cross was sold last year. I can't remember the price but it was in the millions.

Advertising is a billion dollar business. I received a phone call last week asking me questions about anti virus software. They asked what brands I knew, had I seen the add with car driver (Forget his name), what shows I watched etc. I wasn't much use to them as I didn't know the add and don't watch much TV. When I do I jump up in the adds to do stuff.

Unless you live in a vacuum and never watch TV, read papers, listen to radio, go to shops or drive/walk down the street, you are subject to advertising.

We all like to think we are free thinkers and make our own decisions but advertising works. As WinstonWolf says- you know the brand names because of the advertising. Why do you think TV's with the brand sell for double the price of the TV's without the brand that are made by the same company. Same with no-name goods.

Back