advice needed

Guys, thanks for all the responses, I didn’t expect to get so many and such a variety.

This is what I have decided after mulling it over a bottle of wine (In vino veritas!)

- I will be resigning after February month end is closed off
- I won’t be pursuing any legal paths (just a stupid idea)
- I’m going on holiday in march to clear my head
- Already updated CV
- Offered my manager to come back in this role part time and be taken off the graduate program

After analysing my situation I’m in a pretty good position, my IPs are CF+ with tenants until August / September. I still live at home so no real expenses, I have a $50k car fully paid off that I can fire sell for maybe $40k. So looking on the bright side its not so bad being me :)

Once again thanks to all of you for the responses and for taking it seriously. I might update this in the coming weeks.

That sounds like you have a plan and direction.

The only thing I would add is that someone earlier suggested discussing your two warnings with your manager, to find out what you can do to improve your understanding of what went wrong and try to improve whatever it is that led to the warnings.

I would see this as being a good thing. It would show your manager that you are wanting to improve whatever it is that was lacking and learn from it.

It could go a long way towards your manager realising you are a "changed" person and could help with your chances of a good reference and/or a continued role in that company some time down the track, and also lessen the chance of being badmouthed to others who might look at employing you and calling for a reference.

Hi zed_kid,

Like you, I did a commerce/finance degree. Like you, I did a graduate program at a big organisation (mine was govt) when I got out. Despite all the HR BS and all those interviews etc - you come to realise that graduates mean nothing. You are not 'the next generation' - you are just the group of young fresh faces who get paid relatively little and also do very little.

But don't take it personally - you are simply not qualified or experienced enough to do something useful. You can't realistically expect to be thrown into the good stuff straight away. It just takes time and trying to get more involved with your superiors/managers is the only way. It is just a baptism we all go through as part of a job.

Hey Aaron,

Yeah I’m in the exact same situation. Before I got this graduate gig I went through; 3 interviews, 1 online test, 1 aptitude test, 1 psychometric analysis thing and 1 meeting with the ‘big wigs’ where they asked me what my hopes and aspirations were. After such a long selection process I thought beauty finally a company that understands me as a person and what I gravitate towards.

My 1st rotation was in planning (materials planning) not in my field but the role was actually good and I had a champion manager. I stuck with it for 18 months before my next rotation… and then I got this sales support role where I’m basically a PA to everyone… and now I see that they want me to do another 18 months in it.

How am I supposed to get qualified in my field if they keep using me as a plug to plug up leaky holes.

Thanks for sharing your experience btw

Hi zed,

Unfortunately these days we are all told that we are basically Gods when we are given a job offer - so the fall from grace when reality sets in is quite severe. I have plenty of friends in finance and law who feel this way; they aren't the Boston Legal or Wall Street/Gordon Gecko high flyers they thought they would be. In fact, most of them do para-legal work which doesn't go much further than photocopying and filling out timesheets.

However, you have two options. You either put up with it and let them break your spirit. Or, like me, you plan for an exit and go out on your own after you can't take that crap anymore. Either way, it is up to you.

hi all, i thought id update this. i gave notice on the 7th and my manager said if i wanted to leave on the day i could, and he would pay me all my entitlements, i took the offer. went on a massive bender for the rest of the week and then went to nsw central coast to catch up with mates and generally relax.

i feel a lot better now and my anxiety has lifted instantly. what im going to do next i have no idea though, im full considering leaving australia at the moment as i dont see RE going anywhere for the next 2-3 years, and all i know is RE investing and working for money so i need to get out and get some other experiences under my belt.

anyway, wish me luck! also i have a bmw going cheap in melbourne if anyone is interested :p

I too went through uni then into a large company as a graduate. I've worked for a few different places now, and have climbed the ladder too. Here are the things I would note based on my experiences:

1) HR is not your friend. They are there to ensure staff matters are dealt with and issues resolved. They don't care about your feelings.
2) I always hook up my next job before resigning. Usually getting a job is easy, but it pays to manage risk. It's not hard staying in a job you dislike once you've made the decision to change, and have progressed towards your next role.
3) Promotions are easiest when changing jobs.
4) Bagging your previous employer is never a good look.
5) Be careful what you tell your manager. Complete open honesty is usually the worst thing you can do.
6) Graduates are easily replaceable, and companies take more than they need, expecting a few to drop off anyway.
7) The company is not there to help you, teach you, develop you, promote you or manage your career. It provides a framework, but the responsibility for these things lies entirely with the individual.
8) Never burn bridges. The *** you kick today may the one you have to kiss tomorrow.
9) People talk. Don't think that your actions within a team, area, business line or even a company can't and won't be found out by others, including potential employers.
10) Be careful what you put on line. If a prospective employer can google your name and find images or video of you being an idiot, the impression is set. Usually in stone.
11) If you think the company needs to give you lots of time off to travel, find yourself, or do whatever, regardless of whether it's unpaid leave you'll likely be considered a liability.
12) If you are not an income stream, you are a cost. Expect scrutiny.

It takes some thinking and a good dose of pragmatism to succeed in a large company, but once you get your head around how things really work, and build your own networks, it can be very rewarding.

Top advice VY.

Word gets around an industry very quickly in Australia ... just like a big country town ... so keeping your dignity, showing respect (even if seething inside) and being polite is paramount.

Sometimes things simply don't work out.
This job was not right for you, and you were not right for the job.

Despite what you see on TV, usually in real life we have to start our working lives at the bottom, even as a graduate. Learn all you can, even when you are "basically a PA to everyone". Some people call it opportunity.
Marg

Zed Kid YOU ROCK
You gots it sorted.

Go out there and make it happen.
Top call on offering to come back on your own terms. Gutsy. I like it.
Impressed.

VY is 100% correc about HR
HR is there to take the company line.
Employee needs as individuals are secondary. Absolute.

Back