Advice on CH7 Sunrise: Put your Wedding on your Credit Card!

I have three boys, so not sure what the etiquette is now. Of course, it used to be the bride's parents paid for most things, and the groom's parents paid for the drinks. That was how it was 22 years ago when I got hitched anyway, at least that seemed to be the "norm".

B#gger the etiquette - our three darling girls have been told that our contribution is a ladder ... so they can elope! :D

Hubby and I paid for our own wedding (30 years ago), so there's no reason they can't do the same!

Cheers
Lynn

I wonder why people not horrified to be asked to pay $180 per person for the reception.
They think it's the norm.. they also think it's the norm to have $5000-10k gowns?!? HOW???

Also on this discussions on weddings, has anyone seen those ridiculous registries? $100 per towel and you have to get his and her fricking towels.

We spent somewhere around $12k on ours, paid for ourselves apart from my parents paying for booze. Of course the money could have gone to better uses but we figured we have the PPOR which was a much higher priority

The $12k allowed us to invite around 50 ppl, have a reception at our place that was catered with waiters, scrimp on some areas (friend made wifes dress, homemade invites and cake), and spash on other ($900 for 2 cars!!!)

I think we found a balance but it's relative I suppose. Who cares if you spend $50k if both of you are earning $200k+ on the other hand if both are on min wage $12k will take years to save for/pay off

I think the key is, not how much you spend, but whether you can afford it or not, and to not get into debt to do it. The engagement period can be used to save for the wedding. I would say we had a medium size wedding, but everything was paid for (by ourselves) as it was booked - and after the event we had no debt. Our families each made a contribution in lieu of a gift, but the great majority was our own hard-earned... Why start your married life with a big financial burden hanging over you?

Cheers,
Nadia

We spent somewhere around $12k on ours, paid for ourselves apart from my parents paying for booze. Of course the money could have gone to better uses but we figured we have the PPOR which was a much higher priority

The $12k allowed us to invite around 50 ppl, have a reception at our place that was catered with waiters, scrimp on some areas (friend made wifes dress, homemade invites and cake), and spash on other ($900 for 2 cars!!!)

I think we found a balance but it's relative I suppose. Who cares if you spend $50k if both of you are earning $200k+ on the other hand if both are on min wage $12k will take years to save for/pay off

Thats still $200+ each:eek: and at home

Why is it that if you book a hire car to take you to the airport, it costs two tenths of bugger all.
Book the same hire car for a wedding and use it for the same amount of time and it costs zillions.
Book a function room for a work dinner it costs a reasonable amount.
Tell them it's for a wedding, then a different and WAY more expensive price list comes out.
A nice dress for a Christmas dinner - quite a reasonable price. Same dress for wedding or school formal and the price triples.
There has to be a better, smarter and more cost effective way of doing a nice wedding without it biting into your portfolio LVR.

^ Good point, Rob. When we got back from our wedding/honeymoon o/s my mother wanted us to have a reception so everyone else could celebrate. The trick is to book everything for a "function" not a wedding. Stay away from reception venues - they're pricy and 9.5 x out of 10 the food is *****. Booking a restaurant is usually cheaper (esp. if it's for a "function") and better. Flowers, music, whatever. You'll get a much cheaper quote if you keep the "wedding" word out of it!

I have been to over a dozen weddings. The most extravagant was my best-friends Italian wedding with 5 Bridesmaids, Dancers, Singers, Bands, MC, 5 tiered cake and only she knows how many people. The groom even invited his hairdresser!:eek:

Mine was about 8k, 18 years ago. Dad gave me a cheque for $450, hubbies parents bought the flowers and husband paid for the rest. I was a mere student on barmaid's wages.

My mother-in-law organised the whole thing (too young to object) and I got what I got!

Back to the credit card tip: I would love to have seen Kochie's face too!

Regards JO

I think the key is, not how much you spend, but whether you can afford it or not, and to not get into debt to do it. The engagement period can be used to save for the wedding. I would say we had a medium size wedding, but everything was paid for (by ourselves) as it was booked - and after the event we had no debt. Our families each made a contribution in lieu of a gift, but the great majority was our own hard-earned... Why start your married life with a big financial burden hanging over you?

Cheers,
Nadia

Well said Nadia,

Cheaper does not necessarily mean better, but maybe more affordable and within means.

I do think that 50k is way over the top though. Even if my friend could afford her huge wedding it was so over shadowed by all the hazy disco smoke, dancers and entertainment, I cannot actually remember her nuptials!:eek:

Regards JO

"Put everything you can on your credit card to get as many reward points as you can, so you can use your frquent flyer points on a free trip for your honeymoon.":eek::eek:

There was complete silence from Mel and guest host.

It just goes to show how some young people have their heads in a cloud with no financial education what so ever.

Were they gob smacked because of the $55k or the CC tip?

We use and continue to use a CC to pay for all (and any) expenses that we can to accumulate FF points. The last European trip we did, the whole trip business class was paid for with FF points.

The bills we had to pay cost the same whether we had paid by cheque or using CC.

Cheers

I am getting married in April / May 2010, and including the wedding and honeymoon the budget is 12-15k.

We're right in the thick of it at the moment and looks like it's going to be about $20k all up (excl. honeymoon). Seems cheap compared to my friends weddings, but we're only having 80 guests.

A friend's wedding was $50,000 but "daddy" paid.

My DIL got married a few years ago. Luckily it was split 3 ways her mum and hubby, her dad and me, and the inlaws. Under $20,000 and the best wedding I have been to. Views across the water to Luna Park. Food was unbelievable. We did make the suggestion of paying for a deposit on a house but she wanted the wedding. You need to have something nice but I think $50,000 is just ridiculous. People say it's the most important day of your life. Is it?? I think it was an important day in my life but not THE most important day in my life.

My daughter always said it was crazy spending 1,000's on a dress. She'd just have a BBQ. Well guess what? She just got engaged and she's already picked a dress style and the bridesmaids dresses etc.:eek: So much for that.
My suggestion was to get married in Bali.

She rang me to ask "traditionally- who pays for the engagement?" I told her I'm not one to follow traditions. :D

Now my other DIL is getting serious too. 2010 might be an expensive year. :rolleyes:

Sorry haven't read all the replies but...

Am I the only person who thinks it was a great tip? what's the problem if you have the money to pay for the wedding but you use the credit card instead, pay off the card straight away and use the FF for the honeymoon? it makes great sense to me. Not only that, it's easier to budget and account for all the costs in one statement.

and why is it a problem to say my parents wants me to have the best wedding? ofcourse they would. My parents wants the best for me too, to marry a great guy, have perfect wedding and good life. However, in chinese tradition, the male/his family pays for the wedding. My husband wanted to mak emy dreams come true....luckily we've got similar tastes. Infact, he was just lucky he didn't have to hardly lift a finger! it was so memorable and he thanked me for planning a great day for everyone.

(in chinees tradition, guys family also has to pay a dowry to the girls family).

But I think $55k is extreme. You can have a beautiful wedding for much less. The restaurant we used 6 yrs ago is still priced about the same.

But you def can't go too cheaply...we had a lot of overseas guests who spent thousands to make it to our wedding. It was a very special to celebrate it with all our closest family and friends so I wanted them to have a great time. I couldn't skimp on things like good alcohol and good food and atmosphere. For a lot of our guests, it was their 1st time in Bris/Oz so we chartered a council ferry for a 45min cruise on the bris river sunset with nibblies and the next day we chartered a tour bus to the sunshine coast day tour.

But with chinese weddings, you get red packets (lucky money) for gifts so we paid back hubby's parents and then they gave us a huge red packet too and we also got to keep whatever was leftover. We did put it towards a deposit for a townhouse. With chinese people, for close family members we tend to give a lot to help the newly wed have a great start....receiving $1k from just person is not uncommon as well as gold. We were so blessed on our wed day that now we always give money generously, especially very close friends and family.

My daughter always said it was crazy spending 1,000's on a dress. She'd just have a BBQ. Well guess what? She just got engaged and she's already picked a dress style and the bridesmaids dresses etc.:eek: So much for that.
My suggestion was to get married in Bali.

I agree a dress is a waste of money considering you only wear it once and you can't sell it.

In Asia, girls hire dresses. There are bridal shops with hundreds of dresses to choose from, the latest style and latest designers. Obviously if you wanted a $10k dress, the hire charge would be more $$ and so would the deposit. You can even have 2 dresses, one for ceremony and a sexier one for reception. Very Wang dresses are very popular...could never afford one but it's only $200 to hire!!

I agree a dress is a waste of money considering you only wear it once and you can't sell it.

Of course you can sell it. I still have mine but it is right royal PITA where to store it.

Don't you think it is curious that you are happy to spend up so big on everything else but think spending on a dress for one day (just like everything else at a wedding :p) is silly?

I suppose we are all different. If we had the balls to put our collective "foot" down, hubby and I would have done the registry office and dinner for a few close friends and family at a restaurant. Unfortunately, our wedding was my mother's big day. I am her only daughter and she kind of got what she wanted, but we still did not spend up big. My parents were quite into IPs by then, and so was I, so "wasting" money was not going to happen.

I couldn't wait for the day to be over, cease being the centre of attention and get back into normal life.

Lucky we are not all like me or the wedding "industry" would go bust :eek:.

Back