Advise needed - Tenant says its too hot in summer

Here's the Melbourne forecast for next 6 days.
Wednesday Fine. Min 16 Max 30
Thursday Fine. Min 17 Max 36
Friday Fine. Min 22 Max 37
Saturday Fine. Min 21 Max 35
Sunday Fine. Min 23 Max 35
Monday Fine. Min 20 Max 30
Global warming anyone? :( :(

Twitch, I'll see your Melbourne Forecast, and raise you Adelaide's forecast! :p

Wednesday Dry. Mostly sunny Min 20 Max 38
Thursday Dry. Sunny. Min 22 Max 39
Friday Dry. Windy. Min 28 Max 39
Saturday Dry. Partly cloudy. Min 20 Max 38
Sunday Dry. Sunny. Min 19 Max 38
Monday Dry. Sunny. Min 17 Max 34

Last week was pretty much the same - over 35 every day.

Here's the Melbourne forecast for next 6 days.

Global warming anyone? :( :(

Twitch, I would love to have those temps compared with ours in Adelaide! As Steve mentioned. Might go to Melbourne for a cool down!

Tue 04/03/2008 35.7
Wed 05/03/2008 37.9
Thu 06/03/2008 38.5
Fri 07/03/2008 39.0
Sat 08/03/2008 39.8
Sun 09/03/2008 40.2
Mon 10/03/2008 40.0
Tue 11/03/2008 38
And for the next week:
Wednesday Max 38
Thursday Max 39
Friday Max 39
Saturday Max 38
Sunday Max 38
Monday Max 39
Tuesday Max 39

Couple that with 7 weeks of no rain, and we are only allowed to water the garden for 3 hours a week and no sprinklers.

And I hate it hate it hate it:mad:

i wish we had some of that in Sydney this past summer... i don think it got over 32*C in the sydney at all during summer!
... and boy did it bloody rain.

Twitch, I would love to have those temps compared with ours in Adelaide! As Steve mentioned. Might go to Melbourne for a cool down!

Tue 04/03/2008 35.7
Wed 05/03/2008 37.9
Thu 06/03/2008 38.5
Fri 07/03/2008 39.0
Sat 08/03/2008 39.8
Sun 09/03/2008 40.2
Mon 10/03/2008 40.0
Tue 11/03/2008 38
And for the next week:
Wednesday Max 38
Thursday Max 39
Friday Max 39
Saturday Max 38
Sunday Max 38
Monday Max 39
Tuesday Max 39

Couple that with 7 weeks of no rain, and we are only allowed to water the garden for 3 hours a week and no sprinklers.

And I hate it hate it hate it:mad:

Ouch & double ouch. I hate hot weather and that absolutely takes the cake, that is insane. 2 weeks above 37????

interestingly...

Strange as it may seem, this is the first heat wave in adelaide I can remember where the electricity has not been cut at least 3 or 4 times? And the media aren't predicting black outs or cuts - weird indeed.
It may sound gloomy but could this mean that belt tightening is underway in the wake of interest rate hikes? Could it be that folks are actually counting the cost or reaching for the air con switch??

I would gauge it by how good your tenant is?

We have our best tenant yet in currently who pays on time and takes pride in the house....bless her!! She requested air-con and we decided to install a split system so it is good for both summer and winter. We havent raised her rent since because she is such a good tenant and we want to keep her as long as possible.

We got a great deal on an older style system at good guys and installed it ourselves. Keeping costs at a minimum.

In any case adding air-con/heating to any house is going to make it more appealing for potential renters, and it will also allow you to charge more rent for your next tenant.

I think you would probably void your insurance policy if you have installed a split system yourselves, unless you are qualified to do so.

I think you would probably void your insurance policy if you have installed a split system yourselves, unless you are qualified to do so.

You know, that is an interesting concept. And I think impossible to enforce. When you buy a property, how would you know that a licensed person has installed anything? We have never received any certificates of compliance for any of our properties. And if anything ever went wrong, how would anyone know when it was installed? We have had a claim for fire, and no-one from the Insurance company looked at our meter box or electrical circuits, yet it was an electrical based fire.

I am thinking it is one of those things that Insurance Companies might state on their policy, but in practicality can never enforce.

I agree. We have never even thought to ask if the air-con or whatever was installed by a qualified installer. Perhaps it is a ploy by insurance companies and installers to scare us into paying good money to have it done properly.

However, you do hear that after a fire, the arson squad goes through everything with a fine tooth comb, so I would not risk it.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in the insurance game as to the "real deal".

However, you do hear that after a fire, the arson squad goes through everything with a fine tooth comb, so I would not risk it.

Yes, true, but looking for crime scene evidence (ie a propellant in the case of arson) is different to looking for compliance issues. These days, the police would not bother with doing the Insurance company's work; and the Insurance company would have to prove that you, and not a previous owner, did the work and that you, as a new owner, knew it was non compliant. And that is the bit that is impossible to prove. Once the Police were satisfied it wasn't a crime scene, then the Insurance company would have to pay up.
And in our case, while the police/fire brigade attended, it was obviously an accident and not arson. And the Insurance company paid on the spot.

However, just over 12 months later when doing the new kitchen, the electrician said that the upstairs area (where the fire was) had not been linked into the auto shut down fuse, and that fuse was broken anyway! :eek: The Insurance company were very grateful that our smoke alarms worked and stopped what was potentially a $700,000 claim!

Insurance Broker:

No one in the insurance game is going to answer that in any other way then you have a responsibility to act legally. As explained previously every policy is different, every claims officer / manager / investigator / assessor (experienced or inexperienced) will have a different opinion.

But whilst every policy is going to be different, all insurance policies are based on "utmost good faith"

If state legislation requires an electrician to install something and you don't, you could void your policy. It would be rare, but remember your dealing with insurance companies, if they can get out of a $200k loss do you really think they wont try?

As for Pushka, im sure if they had gone to the assessor and said "wow, I don't know why the aircon caught fire, I installed it myself" they might have had a different approach. The beauty is that a fire will generally destroy all the evidence.

I've been to the fire's and have seen the investigators / assessors / adjustors... they wont just be there when you are and they will look for all the relevant information.

Back