Agents NEVER take me seriously!

Just need to vent, if you are an agent take note..

Ok I do all the numbers, dd, inspections and negotiating. Hubby signs his name. It works for us like a silent partnership.

So, once again on the hunt in this awesome buyers market in Perth. Sure, enough the agent does not take me seriously. I usually have a couple if not 3 kids with me. All well behaved (bribed with biscuits). My car is an old station wagon. So I guess I dont look like a cashed up investor. BUT for gods sake give me at least some decency!

1. I get ignored
2. Ask if my husband/partner is coming
3. I tell them its for a perspective IP and then they say things like..mmm yes its a bit small for all your kids. WTF didnt I just say it was NOT to live in.
4. I had one agent not give me the last print out brochure but passed it to the couple behind me.
5. Come on...we've bought 2 nearly 3 (yet to settle) in the past 6 months. Its got to the point I have to take Hubby in his business suit after work to get anyone to call me back or send through body corp minutes.

AGENTS wake up.
If the numbers werent so enticing I would love to walk away...

Yeah, it would be funny if it was once off. Not 18 times out of 20..

The surprise is when I put in an offer. I make them come to MY house..usually a 45-60min drive to the northern beaches. Oh..I can see the delight in their eyes as they look around my house..thats when they try to rip me off and give the standard agent lines...

They have travelled an hour plus in peak hour traffic for a lowball offer..oh my bad:D

Agents, please stay asleep!!
They are reducing the buying pool for the properties they are selling. Sounds like their stereotyping habits might be beneficial to you. If they act that way to half the people coming through then that's fantastic. Just make a note though not to use them should you ever look at selling.

Gools

Good points..

So far I would not use ANY of the agents we have bought from. The agent we used to sell was one we said we would definately use if we ever wanted to sell. Man she hounded us for days..to negotiate over a property we werent interested in. 5 years later she sold our house by what sounded like the same method at the end of the WA boom. No other agent we have encountered was as dogged as her!!

That's perfect. I have always found the agents fall into those two categories. Ones you want to buy from and ones you want to sell with. I haven't met one that fits into both categories and that's a great thing.

i'm northern beaches to and unless you're in an i45 and country road shirt at the minimum, you don't even get the "hello"....

you should see when i rock up in my jeans and big w short in my banger hilux ute chock full'o'crap - their face changes are magic when i start talking about IRRs and how i can only offer so much because the trust's distributions are nearing the next tax threshold etc....

Why cant you make the offer over the phone?

Look, agents think everyone is a tyre kicker until they get an offer. Nothing matters to them until then. When you make an offer they will listen, they will take you seriously.

Up to then forget it.

Agents, please stay asleep!!
They are reducing the buying pool for the properties they are selling. Sounds like their stereotyping habits might be beneficial to you. If they act that way to half the people coming through then that's fantastic. Just make a note though not to use them should you ever look at selling.

Gools

I know how you feel, I feel the exact same way & discriminated against too when the only car park left in the shopping centre is the one with the pram sign painted on it & i have no kids.... :D:D

Don't take it to heart Sammeee. I've had the same as I used to do all the looking while Hubby basically signed the documents. I've had agents refuse to deal with me because I'm female. I just bypass them and go elsewhere. Mind you, it hasn't happened to me for close on 10 years now, but I'm sure there are still those old fashioned Agents that think the little lady should be firmly put in her place and won't deal with you without your other half.:(

I'm actually surprised to hear this. (I'm female), and some of my IP purchases have been on behalf of partner, some for me, never struck any difficulties, agents have been very helpful, cooperative, respectful, keen, professional, done great business. I have made offers face to face, over phone, some have been via fax, mostly face to face and phone, they always get back asap-promptly. Only bought in Victoria though.

The first offer I put in is usually original..counters I fax..

When I can make an agent drive peak hour friday night long journey to my house while I sip my wine why would I want to fax?:) or if they were particularly nasty I was going to cancel when I knew they were on the way and reschedule for the following night...but thought that was a little mean and I was getting down to their level...

It doesnt take much to be courteous...especially to a perspective buyer even if they look like a tyre kicker. I was told by one friendly agent that you have to be over 18 to put in an offer...at that time I was 29! 32 now so I must at least look 21?? with three kids in tow..bewdiful darling..

In fact I could write a book titled classic quotes from agents!
"do you all have the same daddy"??? directed to my 5 year old:mad:

Sammmeee - I remember writing an almost identical thread to this about 2 years ago now. It is frustrating. And I think alot of the women on here (and no doubt some of the men too) have experienced what you are talking about.

....It is frustrating. And I think alot of the women on here (and no doubt some of the men too) have experienced what you are talking about.

Yep! and it is not just women either - it comes down to ethnic background oftentimes too.

Many of our clients in the Buyers Agency come to us because they cannot get white Anglo REAs to take them seriously either - these people are typically of Asian background - Chinese, Thai, etc.

Back