Allowing pets in a rental

New Ip is fully fenced on 3 sides, and 3/4 across the front, there is no gate over the driveway. Front fence is a bit shoddy but would keep a little dog in.

is it worth securing the front to attract tenants with pets, cats are fine by me, but a small dog can't be kept in many places. if so, how much extra weekly, $20?

I never even thought about charging extra for pets. I guess it's not a bad idea. Pet owners find it so hard to find a place I'm sure they wouldn't even think twice about it.

Legally you're not allowed to charge extra for allowing pets. The Act specifically mentions this. From memory you can ask for additional bond, though.

You can sorta get around this by charging slightly more than market and saying pets allowed - you're then more or less not competing with other places who don't allow pets so you're in a slightly different market spot.

But make sure you consider the impact of this in terms of flooring, gardening, property security and fencing.

Legally you're not allowed to charge extra for allowing pets. The Act specifically mentions this. From memory you can ask for additional bond, though.

You can sorta get around this by charging slightly more than market and saying pets allowed - you're then more or less not competing with other places who don't allow pets so you're in a slightly different market spot.

Interesting, and good idea to get around it.

Is this rule Australia wide or just in WA?

Always aadvertise with pets considered or pets negotiable and see what comes up. Youll find in a tight market that tenants may offer more or longer leases to have a pet. In the current market it may help get a tenant in quicker.

I would only do the fence if someone with a dog applied. Make sure you include a pet bond. And make sure you understand the breed of dog that is being applied for.

Cheers

If the back garden is fenced off, ie at the sides then you don't need the front fenced.

I accept pets. You can't charge more, ie one applicant with a pet is $420 and applicant without a pet is $400 BUT you can set the rent at $420 and say pets negotiable and you will most likely get quite a few applicants with pets.

I say pets negotiable as you don't want 5 german shephards but 1-2 cats/dogs might be suitable.

Pet owners are generally more stable tenants and willing to pay more - harder for them to up and leave as there is less rentals that accept pets. I'm not saying that should be abused, just something I have observed.

dog-hotel.jpg

My sister paid and extra $20 per week for the privilege of having pets in her rented house, but I would say that kids and even adults are more likely to damage the property than any dog or cat...

Besides, a responsible tenant (which is the kind you want anyway) wouldn't let any pet damage the house...

So for me, no problem with pets. Worry more about the quality of tenant

I would worry more about keeping young kids in than pets....... ;)

I wouldn't bother about a front fence as long as the backyard is fenced seperately, say to the side of house, garage etc.

It's much safer for kids & pets if they are kept away from cars in the driveway.

PS:
I allow pets (outside) - never charged extra for them. I'd like to charge smokers extra though ;)

We're not pet people at all, but happy to have pets in our IPs if the overall tenant picture is good.

Have denied cats as they can scratch floorboards.

Sign on dogs depending on whether they're indoor or outdoor and type of breed.

We've actually just signed on tenants yesterday who own a small Pugg. No extra rent charged but an additional term in the lease is that the carpet is steam cleaned and house sprayed for fleas prior to tenants vacating.

We didn't charge extra rent, but it certainly helped rent out the property straight after the first OFI.

Do you know how much your property would rent for? Without knowing the details I think it would rent easily at $460 with pets considered.

I let pets in all our IPs.

Tenants usually stay on longer and are very appreciative. I've never had any issues with pets in an IP.

Kids on the other hand....

Cheers

Jamie

I let pets in all our IPs.

Tenants usually stay on longer and are very appreciative. I've never had any issues with pets in an IP.

Kids on the other hand....

Cheers

Jamie

Someone enlighten me...what do kids do besides draw on the walls? Am I missing something here? :eek:

A kid (with her parents) came to visit my very expensive new PPOR for dinner. First thing she did was through all her dinner over our brand new carpet. Was so pissed off! Parents just sat back and waited for us to clean it up. Never did get the stain out (was lasagne or something just as messy).

No carpet in this place thankfully, polished hardwood floors, but certainly not newly polished, so some wear and tear from little claws is fine.

What do kids do? My 3yo got angry the other night as we refused to buy Dominoes for dinner, so he drew a pizza on the wall.

When he was 1 he managed to prise the lid off a tin of undercoat and painted the brand new leather lounge, vacuum cleaner, bed, floors and walls.

They throw food everywhere, grubby handprints on all surfaces, walls filthy, they put stickers on any surface in reach, climb onto benches using the handles of the kitchen drawers ...

and that's just my two!

Give me pets any day

My sister paid and extra $20 per week for the privilege of having pets in her rented house, but I would say that kids and even adults are more likely to damage the property than any dog or cat...

Besides, a responsible tenant (which is the kind you want anyway) wouldn't let any pet damage the house...

So for me, no problem with pets. Worry more about the quality of tenant

I have found pet owners to be quite stable and have not caused any damage apart to a flywire door (which they repaired). As they rarely are allowed in units, I have had people pay more to rent my house but not over the market value. I agree good references are needed to get quality tenant.

Have denied cats as they can scratch floorboards.
I'm curious..how many cats have you met that walk around with their claws exposed out of their paws?
From my experience, floorboards are much more likely to get damaged/scratched from people dragging furniture than cats!

Back