ALP Doomed but how many seats will they get?

When is gillard suppose to get locked up for the fraud anyone know?

I think that will never see the light of day. Technically she is probably not guilty. It can be very hard to prove fraud. A CEO of a company I worked for was taking the cash he was meant to bank and playing the ponies. At first there was 200 Charges. In the end they pursued 7 they thought would stick. I don't know what happened as the Company went under. No thanks to him.

Peter

When is gillard suppose to get locked up for the fraud anyone know?

That's on my Christmas wish list but these things are notoriously difficult to prove. However, the mere fact that she is under investigation does a massive hit to her already shattered credibility so hopefully that will be enough.

Well - I thought the menu was hilarious - but then again - I am rarely Politically Correct in my thinking.

Considering how often Julia flings personal insults at the opposition (apparently Joe Hockey if fat and Tony Abbot doesn't like women) it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

I think she just lost more credibility by not having a laugh.

Well - I thought the menu was hilarious - but then again - I am rarely Politically Correct in my thinking.

Considering how often Julia flings personal insults at the opposition (apparently Joe Hockey if fat and Tony Abbot doesn't like women) it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

I think she just lost more credibility by not having a laugh.

While parts of the menu were funny the bit about Julia was just plain disgusting. You're the first person I've heard from who thought it was funny. Certainly Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey haven't found it at all humourous and I'm pretty sure they're being very genuine about that.

I don't remember any comments on Tony Abbott's genitalia, so it's hardly comparable.

While parts of the menu were funny the bit about Julia was just plain disgusting. You're the first person I've heard from who thought it was funny. Certainly Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey haven't found it at all humourous and I'm pretty sure they're being very genuine about that.

I don't remember any comments on Tony Abbott's genitalia, so it's hardly comparable.

I found it very offensive. I feel it's very degrading and disrespectful to all women, let alone a Prime Minister.

They both do it. It is only when they get caught they cry OH NO!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ckfires-on-labor/story-fn59niix-1226494015756

This joke is meant to be so bad the press don't even print it. Apparently about Abbot and his female Chief of Staff who is an attractive woman.

What matters to me is that: the menu issue was three months back, and a supposed internal matter at the restaurant, then one copy gets out via a chef and then it takes three months and the day after Gillard claims Abbott is sexist before it comes out? Come On.

I want my Pollies to govern. To lead, To admit they are not perfect and will learn and do their bloody best. Not to waffle about what he or she said. Every joke is offensive on some level. Please someone post one that is not.

Leading our Country is too important to muck about and they insult us voters when they assume we give rats **** about this stuff. Most of us don't and those who do, need a reality check.

Peter 14.7

What matters to me is that: the menu issue was three months back, and a supposed internal matter at the restaurant, then one copy gets out via a chef and then it takes three months and the day after Gillard claims Abbott is sexist before it comes out? Come On.

The person (David Carter) who sent it out via twitter previously sent it to some Labor people via twitter closer to the date but he had no response. He had found the menu on a staff members Facebook page.
After reading some comment Hockey tweeted in response to Gillards blue tie statements David Carter tweeted it again but this time it was picked up by a journalist (probably because the sexism thing was trending and currently newsworthy), who asked Brough for a response. Brough stated that the menu was written by someone outside the party and profusely apologised for it.
Then the original creator of the menu responded to Brough's response and apologised to him for the in-house joke that a staff member put up on facebook and was tweeted by Carter.

The Goose one was humourous in a way (in that I didn't find it funny, but could be funny if you were in the mood for that kind of thing) but the Gillard one wasn't and was just cheap and pathetic.

I'm not saying the ALP doesn't do cheap shots, but they saying they do it to doesn't make the kind of juvenile, pathetic, lowest common denominator acceptable.

That said, Abbott, Hockey etc can't be held accountable. I've heard conflicting things about Brough, so I'll leave that open, but if more info comes to light I'm fully prepared to accept that it was just the restaurant owner.

That said, if the restaurant owner thinks that's acceptable to print out then I know where I won't be going if I'm in the area.

its all getting dirty and desperate and its not over yet.

the stakes are high and some/many are seeing there income and careers coming to an end. for many its a terminal situation.

there is little chance of a dignified ending. doubt gillard has an exit plan.

its ugly. glad when we can vote. we are ready.

important issues are being neglected and much damage is being done. lets hope we never see this again.

When did a café owner from Brisbane become the spokesman for the liberal party? and an example of the liberal party values?

But Ms Gillard's (who is meant to be the PM of this country) disgusting blue tie speech out of her own mouth is fine.

I find her speech more disgusting as she should be held to a higher standard, she is meant to the PM and govern for all.

The café owner is just a private resident.

its all getting dirty and desperate and its not over yet.

the stakes are high and some/many are seeing there income and careers coming to an end. for many its a terminal situation.

there is little chance of a dignified ending. doubt gillard has an exit plan.

its ugly. glad when we can vote. we are ready.

important issues are being neglected and much damage is being done. lets hope we never see this again.

Life long unionists and now pollies about to be kicked out of the job.

They are now just realising they are out of the job and now clambering like drowning rates to stay above the water as the good ship lollypop sinks.

Gillard still trying to make it all about Abbott. :confused:

I thought that the last thing you want to be doing is giving more airtime to yourself and not mentioning your opponent dozens of times.

Hilarious.

Her advisers must be the Marx Brothers.

Tatts Bet has then win paying $1.08 for $1 down. ALP is $7.50.

Even with the ALP peeing on it's own feet on an almost daily basis, they are crazy odds in a 2 horse race - and even more so when you consider the election is still 3 months away (and a week is a long time in politics).

I'm not, for one moment, suggesting that either Julia or Kevin (that dude is the political equivalent of a turd that just won't flush imho) or anyone else for that matter can lead the ALP to the most unlikely of all unlikely victories (but does anyone remember the 1993 election that was supposedly unwinnable for Keating??) - but I would expect the coalition to drift in the odds and the ALP to firm a little simply as the election gets closer as people think more about how peeved they really are and whether the grass is actually greener on the other side (and Abbot makes mistakes, of course).

Which means that if you throw some money down now on the ALP while the bookies give them a snowballs chance in hell of winning.....

.... and, if I am right, and the odds narrow even just a little bit in the coming months...

then you can throw some money down on the coalition and be guaranteed to make money based on arbitrage (it will be a larger amount, and you would work it out based on the odds and the amount you bet on the ALP)

I've seen it happen before....

6 weeks out before the 2001 election the bookies had Howard as toast and Beazley in The Lodge. And then you had a boatload of illegal immigrants allegedly throw children overboard in a desperate attempt to make Australia. Howard took a hardline stance, the public loved it, the odds swang back the other way and, lo and behold, he was re-elected (with a swing in his favour)....

***** happens in politics...

... of that you can be sure.

Last edited:
Actually Mark you may be on to something.;)

Say you put $100k on Coalition to win $8k.

Then you put $7000, on ALP to win $50k then...nope it does not work.

I agree. I have some junior oil shares that are as good as a bet so that will do me. In fact, never understood gambling, at all? Seems to me you/I take a bet against an expert and assume I am better or will get lucky?

Then again sometimes you can beat the system.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/8790567/Clever-tricks-to-pile-up-points

I like the US Pudding Dude.

He realises during shop promotion that certain low cost products came with flyer points and bought 10 sachets x 25c so $2.50 to get 1000 miles. He eventually got 12,000 serves of pudding worth of a massive 1,253,000 miles that cost only $3000 US.

He then realises he had a deadline to claim. So he gets the Salvos to help fill in the forms and then donated the puddings to the Salvo getting a tax rebate of $800 US. Out of pocket by $2200 US and get 1.2M Miles.

Now, I don't know what they convert to exactly but I went MEL to PARIS and Back with Virgin for 142,000 worth $1800 AUS. On $ for $ AUS to US then he could fly the equivalent of the same about eight times. Cost to do that around $15000, so he made $12,800 in miles,

A friend of mine did similar on a Telstra Deal years ago. Got a around the world ticket works $4500 for $800 out of pocket.

Lets keep thinking about this one, Peter

Actually Mark you may be on to something.;)

Say you put $100k on Coalition to win $8k.

Then you put $7000, on ALP to win $50k then...nope it does not work.

Arbitrage betting. In this instance it hasn't worked, but if you google it there are programs that scan for 'Arbs'.

Bookies are onto it though.

pinkboy

I didn't say it had worked. At $7.50 for the ALP, (by my calculations) you need the coalition to drift above $1.16 before you make a guaranteed profit.

Bookies are onto arbs when the bets are placed at the same time... But this would not be one of those occasions...

And it is only a potential arb at this moment....

Patience grasshopper... Give Abbot time to balls up....

Never gonna happen.

There's always the bookies margin worked in there.

$1.08 = 1/12.5 odds
$7.50 = 7.5/1 odds

They'll never converge because of that 5 point margin (unless your bookie is a numb-nut).

e.g.

Labor might come back to $5 or 5/1
Libs will drift out to $1.10 or 1/10

Still the 5 point margin.

Bookies have to make there money somehow.

Never gonna happen.

There's always the bookies margin worked in there.

$1.08 = 1/12.5 odds
$7.50 = 7.5/1 odds

They'll never converge because of that 5 point margin (unless your bookie is a numb-nut).

e.g.

Labor might come back to $5 or 5/1
Libs will drift out to $1.10 or 1/10

Still the 5 point margin.

Bookies have to make there money somehow.

Arbs work between different bookies for the obvious reason above. The various programs available scan for the differential between bookies.

pinkboy

Back