Altona, Vic

it causes you to re-think about being wealthy? Wealth is there just to make sure that your life is comfortable. Only when you are comfortable can you start bitching/complaining about things that you wouldn't normally. Nothing wrong with aspiring to be wealthy and have a self-funded retirement

I agree, and that is what I aim for, I definately want to be very comfortable in retirement. But this childhood dream I had of having millions and millions of dollars to the point where you can buy anything at any time is not necessarily something I want now. Not saying that if I won a $50M lottery I would turn it down :D , but I can see how having too much could maybe not be a good thing. If you have everything, then I think can take it for granted and not appreciate it. I want to be comfortable but not greedy. :p

i am one of those fortunate people who can afford to shop at country road, esprit, saba, etc etc when / if i want and i once only went to 5 star restaurants. but after a while the novelty does wear off, in fact you do start to pick on things, especially 5 star hotels. my way of looking at things were 'if you can you do' BUT after a while the grass isn't always greener.

i too eat maccas in the car with the kids and we chat and make a mess (once a fornight treat). i have also had them at 5 star restaurants and didn't feel as happy eating than watching my kids shove chips and nuggets in their mouths.

sometimes i buy every day tops from kmart for $6, actually i am wearing one now and i bet that i could find a very similar one in esprit or country road and it would cost me $79.95. yep i could buy the more costly one because god forbid someone should see 'the tag'. but now i am over that mentality.

I see people that rent or live in lessor houses and their kids are dressed in only expensive brands. yeah i could do that easily... but i want my kids to realise that you can get more out of less sometimes.

my hubby wanted me to buy a mercedes recently (i point blank refused) :eek:

my point is.... i bet i could live in toorak (if i could afford it) and find positives but i bet you 'anti-west groups' could live over here and find some enlightenment. i know i know... you're laughing right? :D

my point is.... i bet i could live in toorak (if i could afford it) and find positives but i bet you 'anti-west groups' could live over here and find some enlightenment. i know i know... you're laughing right? :D

Sorry, this did get off topic, so back on topic. I agree with you onthemove. I'm an 'Eastie', and was always a bit scared of the west, despite really not knowing it. I have been looking where to buy IP2 and I prefer to stick with Melbourne and near the water. I don't want to spend up big so started to think outside my square and looked to the west. I now have my eye on Altona Meadows, and checked it out recently. I must say Altona is a lot nicer than I had imagined, especially the water front properties! Just a bit out of my price range, which is why I'm going in a little bit further to the Meadows. I certainly wouldn't be criticising Altona though, still reasonably close to the city and on the water. Give me water over congested tram streets of Toorak any day. ;)

Toorak is over-rated. Besides some of the beautiful old mansions, it has nothing that would make me EVER want to live there. Give me Albert Park or Brighton any day!!! If I had kids, then give me a house with some land, wherever that may be that I could afford. I don't have children so I could afford a 1 bedroom apartment anywhere in Melbourne as my PPOR, but guess what, it isn't in Toorak! :rolleyes:

As I have outlined in previous posts (which you should remember), Toorak is just an example. In fact, it could be any premium suburb, of which obviously Brighton or Albert Park fall into this category as well. Does not change the fact that if you were offered an exchange, you would take the premium suburb over the non premium suburb like Altona.

My point is, if it wasn't for emotional factors and you were using your 'head', you would rather have a like for like house in a premium suburb. However, we still get people saying random things like 'never will I live in South Yarra' and 'I could afford it anyway' but they probably can't because what they could buy in Altona for $500K would probably cost more like $3mil in South Yarra.

stats can be manipulated depending on number of sales really.

all depends on what properties are on the market.

altona has beach side property. so that may be a cause for the 23% rise. maybe the higher end properties have been coming onto the market.

it is difficult to tell.

But the interest in altona, newport, yarraville is as high as ever now with it its affordability being key.

I wondered this too!

I can only hope, had spectacular growth in the last year but i still feel this suburb is undervalued, it has a lot to offer, beach, schools, public transport, location to CBD, the main street is booming with developments and new resteraunts. Its a very quiet pleasent place to live

A house in Chifley drive 3bd unrenovated sold for 575k last week after only being on the market for a couple of weeks another in Fisher court was only on the market for 2 days not sure of the sale price yet. I live in this pocket of altona so watch the prices very closely.

Channel 7 just interviewed my wife and this normally quiet street is now bustling with vehicles.

Hope that Julia Gillard does not sell her house.

I would rather live in Altona than Toorak

There is nothing wrong with keeping up with the jones. I am sure a lot of people find motivation by doing so, and many have become wealthy (or relatively well off) because of this attitude.

What is your point about knowing millionaires in Altona? Judging by the current Melbourne property market, pretty much anyone who owns a bit of dirt is a millionaire. Also, a lot of beachfront houses in Altona are well in excess of $1mil so again, highlighting the fact that it is not as much of a surprise as you seem to declare.

Sure, those 3 people you know may not want to move from Altona, possible reasons include familiarity, proximity to friends and family etc...but these are all 'emotional and contributing factors'. I bet you that if I said I could exchange an exact replica of their Altona house for one in Toorak, they would take it STRAIGHT AWAY. Also, perhaps they need to spend millions more for a like for like house in Toorak (hence they don't move) or prefer to be one of the kings of Altona, rather than a pleb in Toorak! Maybe you should ask them these questions!

I too think Toorak is overated, have lived in Toorak and Altona. Altona is special, where is 15 minutes from the city centre is there what feels like a small country coastal village, it reminds me of the Central Coast.give me Altona over Toorak and Camberwell anyday.

http://www.themail.com.au/news/local/news/general/julia-gillard-nice-meal-awaits-obama/1872842.aspx

Ms Gillard has said she will continue to live in her Altona house. Neighbours Joy and Eric Vincent said the quiet cul-de-sac near Harrington Square shopping centre was even suitable for a visit by US President Barrack Obama. "If Mr Obama came down the street he could come in for lunch," Ms Vincent said. "I would cook him a very nice meal."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/someone-else-can-fill-the-fruit-bowl--20100625-z8pa.html

Should Julia Gillard choose to entertain such eminent folk as, say, the US president, they have a selection of take-away - including Indian and Thai - only a short walk way.

I like this! Can this almost impossible scenario happen? I can't wait for this to happen. :D

Now, Altona is in the news every other day.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...-lovely-altona-20100703-zuxh.html?from=age_sb

The Age said:
JULIA Gillard has done one great thing since she got in to power.... she's put Altona on the map. Who would have ever guessed that this much misunderstood suburb would one day be the home of the prime minister. Altona is going to be for Gillard what Little Rock was for Bill Clinton. Julia from Altona will run off the tongue like Sir Joh from Kingaroy or Bracksy from Williamstown. She will make Altona famous.

I always know that she will be the Prime Minister one day but didn't expect that to happen so soon.

The Age said:
But for those of us who know Altona, we knew it was so much more. I stumbled across Altona when I fell asleep on a train once. I lived four stops before it and it was such a nice day I drifted off and woke up in what I thought was the country. I looked out and saw wetlands, the beach, heavy industry and then a railway station called Seaholme. Where was I?

I had exactly the same feelings when I first took the Werribee Train to Altona 3 years ago.

The Age said:
I got off at Altona and wandered down Pier Street, which is classic old-style strip shopping. Then, at the end of the shops, there was a beach! I was an Altona convert and returned with my kids, sitting in Logan Reserve, the park by the seaside where families would gather to take advantage of the sea breeze in summer. Altona was a bit of a secret suburb, like Williamstown without the ice-creams, the crowds and Bracksy.

It happened that was a Tuesday when the weekly Flea Market was held and many stalls were set up along Pier St. This gave the atmosphere of a holiday village and I don't feel that I am in Melbourne. No wonder, investwest was reminded of Central Coast. I have always felt that Altona is a hidden gem, and misunderstood by many of those who have heard of its name.

The Age said:
But now with Julia Gillard, the new Queen of Altona, the crowds are about to turn up. It's only a matter of time before visiting stars like Clive Owen will be seen having a beer and a schnitzel at the Millers Inn. The trendsetters will follow. Sam Newman will tie up his boat on the foreshore, Paul Kelly will write a song about Pier Street, and a new TV series will be set there, featuring young emos and called something like Alt in Altona.
I actually think there are many locations in Altona suitable for filming and photography - beach, esplanade, Cherry Lake, wetlands, Altona Pier, view of the City (Eureka Tower) and mountain ranges from across the sea, Pier Street, Altona Coastal Park, Truganina Coastal Parklands, Altona Homestead, Altona Miniature Rail, the annual Altona Bayside Festival with the Grand Parade, Hobsons Bay Civic Chambers (something that look like an Eskimo Igloo) with the canon, gun and fire outside, view of the Cheetham Wetlands and Port Phillip Bay from atop the 100 Steps to Federation and Time Beacon at the Truganina Park, the 175 hectares Truganina Swamp and the Laverton Creek Bridge, Truganina Explosives Reserve, the Lower Kororoit Creek and many more!

The Age said:
When Barack Obama finally gets here, he'll have to head straight to Altona via the Tullamarine and then the West Gate Bridge. And what a schedule he'll have. First a walk around Cherry Lake to stretch those legs. Then a visit to the Altona miniature railway, but it will have to be the third Sunday of the month, because it's run by volunteers. Then Obama could take a walk along the beach, drop in on the Angling Club and meet eight Maltese guys called Joe. Finally, dinner at the Altona RSL, but stick to schedule as meals are only on between six and eight.

The Cherrry Lake is a very large lake. There is a 3.5 km walk/cycling path that encircles it that will take about one and a half hour by foot. There are 1 or 2 islands within the lake and there is a bird hide near the reeds, where you can watch the aquatic birds, ducks and swans in secret, without disturbing them. There is also a mound/hill to the north where you can climb to take in views of the entire Lake. The undulating grasslands/slopes speckled with trees on its southern shores is a very scenic area and is very suitable for picnics. Personally, I prefer Cherry Lake over Albert Park Lake because I feel it looks more natural and rustic and less touched by human adornments.

The Altona Miniature Railway is a fabulous place! I'm hooked by it although I am an adult! I can cook President Obama a nice meal if he comes to visit our PM :p

Last edited:
I have always felt that Altona is a hidden gem, and misunderstood by many of those who have heard of its name.

Absolutely! My parents grew up in the east, so did I. We rarely ventured west and due to the influence of my parents, always had the 'west is not very nice' mentality. Last year I was looking for a suburb to start researching to buy my next IP, as I like to buy close to water, I literally pulled up a map from whereis.com and looked around the bay. The east is too expensive for my budget until you hit Frankston (which is where I bought IP1) so I looked 'outside my square' over at the west. Williamstown, Newport, I was familiar with... too expensive. Looked down to Altona, was shocked at the prices, also too expensive. So I looked at the next one slightly inland, and have settled for Altona Meadows.

For my first trip to Altona Meadows I went through Altona, and was shocked when I got to it. Nice beach strip, nice shopping strip with Pier Street, and some beautiful big homes being built along The Esplanade. I told my parents, and they were still "oh no, Altona is disgusting, it was when we were growing up". They probably haven't seen it for a few decades! I was showing my mother some houses on the internet in Altona, and she could not get her head around million dollar houses in Altona, she even went to the next room to tell my father, like it was some amazing news flash. I told her I'm taking her there soon when I show her where I bought my IP. I'm sure she's going to be surprised. The only thing which I admit is awful on the trip down, is going past the Mobil oil refinery, but once you get to Altona / Altona Meadows, you don't see it, and I think it's far enough away from it.

A long winded story sorry, but thought I'd share the experience of someone who was very 'anti-west' (only from lack of knowledge), to now having bought a property in the area. :)

Last year I was looking for a suburb to start researching to buy my next IP, as I like to buy close to water, I literally pulled up a map from whereis.com and looked around the bay. The east is too expensive for my budget until you hit Frankston (which is where I bought IP1) so I looked 'outside my square' over at the west.

I had the same strategy. I used Google Maps and started from the Melbourne CBD radially outwards until I found properties within my affordability. I realized that the Melbourne CBD is at the northernmost apex of Port Phillips Bay with the Eastern bayside suburbs stretching for miles along its Eastern coast. Williamstown and Altona are the only 2 residential suburbs along its Western coast. Further southwest is the unhabitable Point Cook Coastal Park and the remote Werribee South village. All the Eastern bayside suburbs are booming and well beyond my affordability. I was well surprised that Altona is still within my affordability back in 2007. I talked to the local real estate agents and was told that Altona's median house price had gone up appreciably over the last one year. However, its price is still a poor cousin of the Eastern suburbs.

At that time, I was perplexed by its low price. There is nothing wrong with its fundamentals - it is close to the City, has good public transport (3 train stations), it is bayside, its Pier St is bustling and it has many nature reserves, parklands and sports recreational facilities. I asked people around me. Most have not heard of Altona and those who know, many say that it is where the oil refinery is located. Hence, the main problem is that it is relatively unknown to most people and it suffers from a negative image brought about by the notorious refinery.

I thought I would just buy in this suburb because I love its sea, beach, lake, open spaces, parks and nature endowment. I am not going to be bothered whether it will appreciate in price or not. Of course, I hope with rapidly increasing population growth in Melbourne and more migrants settling in the western suburbs, the boom in the Eastern bayside suburbs will be replicated in Altona.

I know historically, properties with water proximity are likely to appreciate in values. And Altona has 3 bodies of water - the sea, Cherry Lake and 2 rivers/creeks! Furthermore, there are only 2 swimmable beaches in the West - Williamstown & Altona. It is not possible to increase any more coastal suburbs in the West unless you want to clear away Point Cook Coastal Park for residential development. I doubt this will happen because of its nationally significant ecological and geomorphological values. The only exception is Wyndham Harbour Development but this is somewhat too far way from the City.

I have not regretted buying in Altona. The longer I stay here, the more I have discovered its nooks, charms and beauties. :) Seriously, if any film company wants to recce for filming locations in Altona, I can volunteer to be their scouting guide. :D

I was watching Channel 10 7pm Project just now. The hosts were talking about Julia Gillard's dressing, whether it is appropriate for a Prime Minister. A host read a letter from a viewer "She must dress well now as she puts Altona on the World Map" I was so bemused.

Back