Aluminium or Wooden Frame Windows

Gday Everyone,

We are currently building some Rental investment properties and we are unsure if we should install wooden fram windows or aluminium.
We realise that aluminium are low maintenance and cost less,
but
would the benefits being the possible valuation on a property with wooden fram windows outway the cheaper alternative.

We plan on holding the properties and not selling so any thoughts woulkd be great.

Archie

I must say that from a living perspective, I prefer aluminium windows that slide wide open. I find most of the "wind out" wooden windows" just don't let enough fresh air in.

I discovered though that it is a different equation when it rains sideways in warm weather, but we don't get that much here in Melbourne.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Anything involving timber of any quality is just sooooo expensive :( You can get some real nice functional aluminium stuff now - it'd be hard to go past on the bang for buck basis. I doubt a valuation will take into account the huge amount extra spent on timber windows as long as the dwelling itself is in a good location and well-appointed ?

Cheers
Carl

I'd suggest the aluminum if it is a long term hold investment. If you match the aluminum with the right colours and style it can look great. It may be worth you spending an hour or so in the paint section matching colours to your windows or even hiring a colour consultant for $100 to get the right colours. your valuation will probably still be great and you won't have to worry about the hassles of wood in the future.

All the best :D

About the only benefit of timber windows is you can paint them any color you like or stain them.

Other than that, they are usually much higher maintenance. They often stick and jamb, need repainting, and possibly more likely to leak, depending on their location.

Another thing to check, is that you get fly screens with the style you choose, which are practical.

Can get different styles, so dont think windflow is a problem specific to timber, but is something to take into account.

Basically, unless painting or staining appeals to you, aluminium is the go.

Cheers
mono

I think aluminium windows on say a period style property, like a Victorian, would certainly devalue the property, but if you´re building a new property, it probably wouldn´t.

GSJ

You could do a google search on Aluminium casement windows.

If your timber windows were going to be painted white anyway, what difference would it make if you put in aluminium casement windows in a white frame?

I'll tell you. No more puttying timber windows. Yay! :)

This is probably not a huge factor since it will be an investment property, but the insulation properties of timber framed windows are far greater than that of aluminium framed windows.

10-20% of heat lost in a building is through the windows and the frame material is equally as responsible as the thickness of the glass.

Insulated aluminium frames are available but to my knowlege they are just as expensive as timber windows.

With the big push towards sustainable living and energy efficiency, these little differences might make a difference in the future value of your property or at least create a selling point to attract better tennants.

Gday Everyone,
Thanks for the input on our dilemma. I think we are sold on the aluminium windows frames now especially seems how this is a new dwelling and is not an older style victorian house.

Thanks for the info guys, what a great forum.

Steve Archibald

Back