Another tale of woe! (hot water unit)

Hi Good Folks

Hoping very much for some views on the situation involving the hot water unit at our IP in Brisbane.

(apologies if this should better be placed on the "adding value" board!)

A plumber organised by our PM has found a leaking coil in a (fairly old) electric hot water unit. Plumber says this requires replacement.

He also says that there is gas at the property, so "will be necessary to install a new gas hot water system".

Allowing for new gas system, plus extending hot, cold and gas plumbing lines, quote is for $2,200 (not including electrician fees).

We have organised this quote through our PM (with whom we are pretty unhappy and on the verge of dismissing).

My first question is why not repair the existing system - ie. replace the coil?

This option should have at least been canvassed in the quote or by the PM.

But instead it looks like they have gone straight to the Mercedes option...

If going for the new gas system is the best option, then sure we would consider this.

But should the PM at least be seeking another quote or looking at the less costly option?

And what is the tax situation with installing a new and different system rather than repairing and old system - without expecting specific advice, can we generally deduct this?

We would be more active on the situation, but are overseas working hard and genuinely rely on our PM to advocate for our interests (and the collective wisdom of SS members from time to time!)...

cheers from Monkey

Hi Good Folks

Hoping very much for some views on the situation involving the hot water unit at our IP in Brisbane.

(apologies if this should better be placed on the "adding value" board!)

A plumber organised by our PM has found a leaking coil in a (fairly old) electric hot water unit. Plumber says this requires replacement.

He also says that there is gas at the property, so "will be necessary to install a new gas hot water system".

Allowing for new gas system, plus extending hot, cold and gas plumbing lines, quote is for $2,200 (not including electrician fees).

We have organised this quote through our PM (with whom we are pretty unhappy and on the verge of dismissing).

My first question is why not repair the existing system - ie. replace the coil?

This option should have at least been canvassed in the quote or by the PM.

But instead it looks like they have gone straight to the Mercedes option...

If going for the new gas system is the best option, then sure we would consider this.

But should the PM at least be seeking another quote or looking at the less costly option?

And what is the tax situation with installing a new and different system rather than repairing and old system - without expecting specific advice, can we generally deduct this?

We would be more active on the situation, but are overseas working hard and genuinely rely on our PM to advocate for our interests (and the collective wisdom of SS members from time to time!)...

cheers from Monkey
If you could post the size may be able to give you a better idea,imho stay with the elec's system but for a 125 litre fully installed with elecs is about
$1250.00,http://www.salmonplumbing.com.au/

The price for that system does seem high.

We replace a lot of hot water systems in Brisbane and the vast majority are less than $2000 fully installed.

The system may have to be moved, (if it's in a spot where you might not be allowed to install a gas system) which may add to the cost factor.

And yes, if there's gas supply to the property, you are not allowed to put in a regular electric system any more, but there are other options like heat pump, instant gas etc.

The plumber should have given a price to repair as well as replace, it's then up to you to choose which option. Of course, repairing it doesn't guarantee that something else might go on it next week.

Hope that helps,

Matt

I have recently had a run of plumbing problems with almost all the properties I own ranging from blocked toilets to replacing hot water systems so I do feel your pain....

One of the hot water systems that stopped working was built into the roofs during construction 20 yrs ago to cut costs, and the only way was to drain the old system and leave it in the roof and run new pipes and wiring into the backyard for a stock standard 125l electric system. All up? $1300!

Try and find used systems on gumtree and ebay and find a plumber/electrician who is happy to install it on a hourly rate basis

I have recently had a run of plumbing problems with almost all the properties I own ranging from blocked toilets to replacing hot water systems so I do feel your pain....

One of the hot water systems that stopped working was built into the roofs during construction 20 yrs ago to cut costs, and the only way was to drain the old system and leave it in the roof and run new pipes and wiring into the backyard for a stock standard 125l electric system. All up? $1300!

Try and find used systems on gumtree and ebay and find a plumber/electrician who is happy to install it on a hourly rate basis

Was yours off -peak electric, gravity fed HWS? I got one in my IP and it leaks a bit. $1300 sounds very cheap.

Sometimes fixing the old stuff is not worth it. I recently got Rainnai 16 B instatanious hot water system which is pretty sleek. System + installation = $1080. Beautiful unit.

I tried fixing the water leak and other issue in the old Bosche system that did not last for too long. it was one ugly, really bulky unit which was home to a nice red back spider.

Unexpected expenses pis me off a little bit but its the part of the game.

I'm pretty sure it was a Fed govt initiative to replace dead electric hot water systems with gas where gas was available, as I remember reading about it some time ago. Mind you, that is dead systems - I think if you can repair the old system, you still can. Not certain on this point though.

Disappointing no doubt - bad luck. However the quote may not be too far off the mark - I had to replace an existing gas HWS in my IP with a new gas one early this year, and that was $1925 (although one could argue that was Canberra prices ;-)). The extra cost could be potentially due to having to disconnect the old system, then plumb new lines where previously there weren't any.
Don't be put off by one quote. I'm no expert, but I'd certainly suggest getting other opinions on whether it actually is feasible (and better value) to repair the existing system. You're well within your rights to obtain other quotes.

I think the rules are different state by state. We installed a new electric system last month for about $1300. our PM said the rules had changed back again to allow new installs. I wouldn't be surprised if Cambel Newman changes the rules back in QLD also

Back