Another ugly kitchen - ideas needed!

Another abomination. I'll just post a photo and let the genius minds here share their thoughts.
Me = have never done a home improvement in my life but going to start here. ;)
Note: Would like to seperate the lounge room from the kitchen somewhat, not a fan of open plan.
Also want a modern stove!

de33e19f67.jpg

803fbabaf4.jpg

Ikea could be a good place to start. You could put one of those breakfast island dealies in between the kitchen and lounge.

Do you need to wear sunnies while looking at that carpet?

Mark

Last edited:
Hey Tiger,
Is the unit your PPOR or a IP? If its an IP I'd suggest leaving the dividing wall out as most REA's, architects, interior desingers etc will tell you "open plan" is all the rage and is what prospective tennants want.

I love seeing potential, and so much?
the kitchen is old style, so flat pack cabinets will allow you to build and be apart of the bench top and pc installs, the open does nothing for me either but a b/fast bar thing will give you an extra eating area and more storage space , assume room for a d/washer.near the sink, you can get these items all around town just have to plan it! we love our large draws instead of the old style dor things .good luck and have fun!

I'm afraid to say this, but I like that kitchen. (But then I do have that green kitchen at home). I bet it's well made. Those inset doors with the timber edging and that counter with the angled face look great.
A contemporary sink and taps and maybe a glass splashback would change it alot.
Scott

+1 i like that kitchen too!

It just needs a nice glass splashback, extendable hose mixer tap and new cupboard handles to look quite nice i think!
New ovens & rangehood, new tiled floor, and new benchtops would really make it look first class!

I'd file & sand that sharp corner which sticks out on the far right of the kitchen aswell. It looks scary and a rounded corner looks & feels alot nicer than that thing! You could just stick a rubber protector over it which wouldn't look as nice but would be better than leaving it as is imo.

I wouldn't replace the wooden cupboards, especially not with some laminated chipboard :eek: If you want to improove them you can sand & re-coat them if they need it?

The carpet needs to be ripped up asap, floorboards or tiles would be nice, but even new carpet would be good aswell.

Its PPOR and its a house not a unit.

I don't really want to put new benches in, but the main thing is the oven and the open space to lounge room. I just don't have the imagination for renovations/improvements so I just look at it and go ummmm... :eek::eek:

trouble is they are 450mm deep benches, not 600mm so std applicances these days won't fit.

I didn't notice that, but you can get 450mm appliances.

You don't have to replace the benches. If you really want to divide the kitchen from the living, and hide the oven, you could just extend the bench 1 meter or so, ~around that line where the carpet meets the kitchen.
This way you'd have a bench/bar that you can have a couple of stools infront of, which divides the two rooms and hides the oven.

It would probably be better to have the bench/bar start on the left, behind the fridge, and run across the whole kitchen, and remove the existing cupboards which are currently above & below the microwave.
This would look nicer i think and will make it more convient to get in & out of the kitchen, hides the fridge & oven, and room for more stools!

Sorry Tiger, but whatever you do with 450mm deep benches will look like a cheap fix.

New cabinets are the answer.

A tall fridge cabinet with overhead cupbd and an adjoining tall pantry next to it, where your fridge now stands would eliminate the tall stuff from the rest of the kitchen.

Rest of the kitchen would be a U shaped, with a breakfast bench to sort of seperate kit from lounge area.

Stove top and under bench oven would go about where the cooktop is now, and a new sink to go in the same location as existing sink.

A row of wall cabinets, one with a rangehood under, to go along wall on the right.

If your budget is tight, do the flatpack thing. About 3-4K ought to do it, cabinets/benches only.

Hope this helps.

I don't really want to put new benches in, but the main thing is the oven and the open space to lounge room. I just don't have the imagination for renovations/improvements so I just look at it and go ummmm... :eek::eek:

Tiger,

This stuff is easy-peasy - but I've done it nearly a dozen times.

Can you tell us what is your kitchen budget please? ....that way we can advise better.

Wow, that is nice timber (or veneer....).

If you can I'd be keeping the cabinets and changing other stuff - benchtops (or new laminate over the top), tiles, handles etc.

Wow, that is nice timber (or veneer....).

If you can I'd be keeping the cabinets and changing other stuff - benchtops (or new laminate over the top), tiles, handles etc.

It looks like Silky Oak to me... But I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Too much "Wood"...

I also don't like that wood panelling I see now and then in houses about 15 years old. You know the stuff, half was up the walls. :confused:

Yes, I think you right on two accounts - silky oak, and too much brown colour. The second one could be changed whilst keeping the silky oak though.

It looks like Silky Oak to me... But I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Too much "Wood"...

I also don't like that wood panelling I see now and then in houses about 15 years old. You know the stuff, half was up the walls. :confused:

Back