Any one ever purchased a haunted house?

I don't believe in Jesus, unicorns, ghosts, goblins, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or other mythical creatures.

I believe some of the above simply because it will be fun ;)

I am a firm believer in science. With all the universities and scientist we have around the world if these things exist they would be some proof by now.

So do I, and therefore I know science don't have explanation for everything (yet).

I'm a scientist and I don't "believe" in ghosts either. However I have reported the experiences (above) that myself and my family members have had, and that I could not find a rational explanation for them.

I was 7 when we moved into an old highset Qlder house. For some years I hated getting up to go to the toilet during the night because I felt I was being watched.

A few years later my brother was home alone one day and swore there were footsteps in the hallway but when he got up there was no-one there. He was freaked right out.

When I was in my late teens/early 20's there were 2 occasions where I heard footsteps in the hallway when the house was locked, no-one home and I was outside (once standing under the hallway, once at the front door). Both occasions I opened up, went in and checked - no-one there.

I mentioned this to my mother later and she said she heard footsteps in the hallway often. She said they were echoes from the men working inside the old warehouse next door. This would require the footsteps to penetrate a set of thick old timber doors, cross 2 driveways, travel up through one window and one door and somehow bounce down to sound like they were coming off the floor.

Whilst visiting friends in Jimboomba in 2007, I had a very similar experience. I felt as though I was constantly being watched while I was in the home alone. That night while everyone was sleeping, I heard foot steps going up and down the hallway, then heard a small dog running up the hallway (mates didn't own a dog), then to top it off, after going to the toilet at about 2am, I got into bed but forgot to shut the bedroom door open, as I pulled the covers over, out of the corned of my I saw a small girl walk into my mates room. (Ghost walked straight through the shut door). When I told my mates of the nights events the next morning, all the said was "oh that's just our resident ghost and her dog" (apparently there was a house fire in 1957 in the house and the young girl and her dog perished in the fire)
I didn't believe in ghosts before this experience, but I sure am a believer now
:D

Sorry, you are all deluded and dreaming these "experiences".

Pinch yourselves next time.

My wife and I have been searching for haunted houses and trying to see, feel, experience one but to date no such luck.

I lived in a house way out in the bush where a bloke shot himself and his dog only a month or so before.

It was creepy, but nothing happened.

Hysterics.....:rolleyes:

Proof please.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-echunga-115270459

This was the towns haunted house in the small country town i grew up in,we lived across the road.I remember old Mrs Hall living there,and we used to help her do jobs around her home.A real creepy place,that was in 1974-78/
As above,recently the home was on the market,went for a nostalgic look,still felt creepy.

This post and house reminded me of a farm stay we did about ten years ago. There was the old homestead near the shearing shed. The farmer had build a new house about half a mile away but the shearers used to sleep in the old house.

By the time we saw it, at night, during a spotlighting tour, by torchlight, it was pretty creepy. I felt nothing, but there were bits of floors missing, very derelict.

The farmer told us that in the 1930s one of the shearers was in the Blue Mountains and fell to his death from one of the rickety old lookouts. The story went that he hung around the old house. The shearers stopped sleeping there. This was decades ago, but they would sleep in the open rather than in that house. This is not just one hysterical namby pamby, but a whole bunch of tough, travelling shearers who sleep where they can whilst shearing.

So, I say to those who don't believe there could possibly be anything in any of these stories, how do you explain so many stories?

I'm going to join Fence on the party pooper bench.

I was a huge sceptic - dont believe in an afterlife. Once you are dead you are dead etc. However I'm not so sure now.

Ive had a few things happen that have made me question whether my mum is watching us. My husband and son think I'm crazy and pay me out at every opportunity.

Hodge I will not tell the full story, but yes your experience is real and happens often. Believe it or not I have recently used a firiend of mine to convince a presence to leave a property. Over the years some tenants never noticed anything others could not get out quick enough and wanted to break the lease. The day I started renos it was there and now she is not. Whole place has lifted and feels good.

Haven't owned a haunted house, but had an experience that makes me think there are strange forces at play.

BTW, I am a very logical, science-based skeptic.

I woke up early one morning drenched in sweat having just had a premonition that I was driving a white car that was sliding sideways in the rain and collided side on with a pole or tree.

Woke my partner and explained it to her in detail. Even debated not driving to the coast in the rain for work.

Decided to go, and just 1 minute onto the freeway (only 2-3 kms from home) saw a white car that had just recently skidded off the freeway sideways in the exact fashion I had dreamt and wrapped around a light pole. It has just happened, grass was all ripped up and another car had pulled over to investigate.

I was freaked and saw it that night on the news and that the person had died. Partner was also freaked.

Can't explain it and has never happened again.

Before my "presence" episode, I never believed any of the ghost stuff, and I still don't - I need to see movement, or noise, or form..

Even today, after having that episode, I occasionally watch some of that ridiculous "Ghost Hunters" program with my 12 year old son (who loves it) and have a massive internal laugh.

BUT...

When we first moved from Melb up to the Riverina -I was 12 at the time - we were renting my Great Grand Parent's house (it belonged to my Uncle by this time). It was built by the GGP's, and is over 100 years old now...an old Victorian beauty.

Both my GGF and GGM died of old age in their house, apparently. I remember the GGM very vaguely from when I was about 5, but that's all. She died a few years later.

Before we moved there, my other Uncle went up there to do a clean-up and so on for us, and slept in the house for one night - he had planned to stay there for 2 nights...

I found out some years later that he had been basically scared out of the house - footsteps and noises from up and down the hall through the night. Now, this Uncle is no wimp and is as cynical as I.

There were others...

My Father's sister and husband came to stay with us, and got to use my room. I had a double bed, so this is why they got my room.

They both reported the bed shaking and the blanket being moved off their bodies in the night...they were very frightened and couldn't explain it, but saw and heard nothing other than this.

My younger brother (he was about 3-5 during these times) would regularly come into Mum and Dad's room at night and ask them to "come and get the man out of my room - he keeps waking me up".

Now; personally I never saw or felt a thing in this house, so I was very sceptical when I was told all this much later, but all stories have been confirmed by all the parties involved.

So, make of that what you will.

Um, yeah.......

So did anyone do anything about these noises or blankets being removed?
Like getting up and grabbing back or something or simply petrified beyond movement?

The power of the mind is strong. You can imagine anything you want.

Subconcious emotions can play havoc like we see in ghost stories.

Relax, have no fear and pinch oneself next time it happens.

Funny how majority of these stories end with someone being "chased" out of the property.

Is there any nice ghost stories. Why all the G & D stories?

About 2 weeks after shifting into our first house (a big old rambling one in a good suburb) I finally said to my ex, do you hear that. He said yes he had heard it as soon as we shifted in. Every couple of nights there were small footsteps running down the hall. Fact was that we had carpet so you shouldnt have heard any. Each time I went to check the kids they were all fast asleep. Many strange things went on in that house. One day I answered a knock at the front door and there was no-one there. When I came back down to the kitchen, all the kids said, who was that went past the kitchen doorway. I said no-one came in. Ex came home soon after and took it seriously, searched the whole housebut could find no-one. Kids said it was a dark shadowy figure had gone past the kitchen door. We eventually found out a small child had died in the house and when we ripped up the carpet, found black and white check lino on timber flooring underneath. My sister stayed with us once and awoke to feel a child near her, she thought it was one of mine and lifted the covers and said come into bed, but there was no-one there. she searched and all our kids were fast asleep. Never felt threatened or scared though

I'm not interested in 'proving' anything to sceptics and I was wide awake when the 2 incidents I report happened (both mid morning).

So was my Mum, she heard the footsteps many times while working in the kitchen.

My brother it's true was sick but it was late morning and he got up to investigate and found no-one there. He wasn't delirious, just had a head cold.

None of us watched horror movies and there were no stories of previous inhabitants dying in the place. No doubt they were footsteps, not just creaking old timber floors.

I did later live in a house where the previous owner had committed suicide - bathtub of water, toaster and extension lead at 3 in the morning - but never had any 'ghost-like' experiences there, so I don't think I'm just suggestible.

No footsteps at night and no-one was chased out of the house. We did not feel threatened at all.

Mum's rational explanation of echoes from the neighbouring old warehouse (which was usually locked and empty anyway) make no sense in light of how sound travels.

So as a scientist I can not offer any explanation for the phenomenon but as a scientist I also will not simply dismiss my observations.

Is there any nice ghost stories. Why all the G & D stories?

LOL... isn't that the nature of ghost stories? But there are plenty of people who can feel some sort of presence and aren't chased from the house.

We wandered past Boggo Road Goal several months ago. It was closed for renovating and is now about to re-open, or already open. My mother took our kids there when it was open for tours and felt nothing untoward but said it was not a nice place to be.

One of the workmen was outside and let us into the first part. He pointed to "the window" where many people over many years have seen a man. He and his big, blokey painters were working and he said there was not a nice feeling in the place. He did say no way would he stay there after dark.

There are so many reports of "activity" and unexplained things in just this one place that there has to be something in it.

You know, The Fence, I'm getting the feeling you don't believe in ghosts? :D:p

So as a scientist I can not offer any explanation for the phenomenon but as a scientist I also will not simply dismiss my observations.

That is a very sensible attitude. I applaud you. I think there are too many closed minds in those who don't believe there could "possibly" by anything in all the stories, often by people who know no history about a place but who experience "something".

... and how many people who ridicule ghosts pop off to church for their weekly fix of something that really has no scientific "proof" of being real...

Back