Any one ever purchased a haunted house?

Every man and his dog a owns a high quality (relative to previous generations) camera and about half carry a camera of some sort (e.g. on phone) at all times.

So I'm guessing ghosts are camera shy and stop acting up when a camera is aimed in the general direction of the strange happenings?

And why do ghosts only throw blankets around and walk down creaking staircases in private suburban homes with few witnesses (often at night when folk are inclined to get more easily spooked)?

Why can't a ghost haunt a busy public place where we have a large and credible witness base?

Presumably ghosts are also shy of crowds?

It's not uncommon for people to suicide in the City Loop train tunnel in Melbourne. But of course no ghost will put any effort into haunting the City Loop, no matter how tortured, because the almost every square inch of the place is CCTV monitored not to mention the thousands upon thousands of witnesses. That just wouldn't do.

Plonk me in a creaky old 'haunted house' for the night and I'd be the first to scream hysterically and run away. But I also get spooked when I watch zombie movies and I'm almost entirely certain that a zombie outbreak is not imminent.

Is there any nice ghost stories. Why all the G & D stories?

Most of the ghost stories you've just heard are neither "nice" or "un-nice" ... simply a presence there minding it's own business, doing it's own thing.

There are still more that is unexplained by science in this universe, than is yet explained.

As an older child I had many episodes of deja-vu ... very clear images of non-typical circumstances ... things that couldn't possibly be predicted or co-incidental - freaked me a lot at the time, to the point I'd stop what I was doing, gawp and slowly think "what the ... ?". Unfortunately I seem to have grown out of it but can still remember some of the incidences vividly.

We purchased a 120 yr old home in Ballarat as only the second owners. Co-incidentally the grandson of the original owner worked with my husband. In the lounge room I could see something spinning next to our coffee table - not a shape or form - more like continuing motion. It looked l like a dog chasing its tail. My husband checked with his mate and found out that the son of the original owner had a large cat called Ringo, and the children used to wrap him up in newspaper like fish and chips and he would spin to get it off. Similarly in the outside laundry I could see little round balls scurrying everywhere - I thought chickens but it turned out the boys used to keep their pet guinea pigs there.
Lastly, when we returned to SA this year we were waiting in a rather long queue at traffic lights on south road. I 'saw' a man run in front of us into the oncoming traffic. Looking at my husband who was driving it was obvious he hadn't seen anything. It really bothered me all day as it was so vivid. That night I looked up road fatalities in that section of south road and found a young man had died there back in 2004 running into oncoming traffic. At that stage my husband and I were living in Tasmania, and a road fatality in SA would not have made the news there. There was no way I would have known.
Some things we can not explain but just need to accept.

Every man and his dog a owns a high quality (relative to previous generations) camera and about half carry a camera of some sort (e.g. on phone) at all times.

I'm sure "most" people would hardly be thinking about getting out their phone, unlocking it, tapping the camera app whilst being scared $hitless... NOT.

And why do ghosts only throw blankets around and walk down creaking staircases in private suburban homes with few witnesses (often at night when folk are inclined to get more easily spooked)?

Several people just here on SS have reported that there have been several witnesses to strange events with no logical explanation, and often without knowing there are others. So it cannot be a case of mass hysteria.

Why can't a ghost haunt a busy public place where we have a large and credible witness base?

They do. Boggo Road Goal is and was a public place. And there are countless stories of places supposedly haunted and strange things happening witnessed by many people at different times, often without knowing their experience is exactly the same as that of others.

Presumably ghosts are also shy of crowds?

I just try to keep an open mind especially when there is so much that cannot be explained logically.

I'm sure "most" people would hardly be thinking about getting out their phone, unlocking it, tapping the camera app whilst being scared $hitless... NOT.

These days if someone is getting stabbed to death on the street, there are people will whip out their phones to film it. People film everything. For every person scared senseless, there is a person thinking 'this will make a sweet viral video'.

Then you have people who live in the same haunted house for years with the same strange happenings. All those years and what do they film - nothing. The best you might get is a blurry smudge in the background of a still image.

Then you have ghost enthusiasts who go out of there way to visit haunted locations, always camera in hand, yet same deal.

Several people just here on SS have reported that there have been several witnesses to strange events with no logical explanation, and often without knowing there are others. So it cannot be a case of mass hysteria.

'Several people have reported' isn't the same as 'several thousand saw'. I'm talking about a situation where objects inexplicably fly around in a public place full of hundreds if not thousands of impartial witnesses, many of whom would film it, with accompanying CCTV footage. That never happens. Always these little hole in the wall sightings. Why do ghosts dislike crowds so much? Exhibitionists die too, why do they never become ghosts?

They do. Boggo Road Goal is and was a public place. And there are countless stories of places supposedly haunted and strange things happening witnessed by many people at different times, often without knowing their experience is exactly the same as that of others.

A disused jail that now runs ghost tours is hardly the impartial public place I was envisaging.

Back to the camera thing, these ghost enthusiasts often come prepared with high quality cameras (no iphone nonsense). Why has nothing of any merit ever been filmed during one of these haunted tours?

I understand the lazy explanation of 'ghosts don't show up in photos' but what about the objects moving or levitating of their own accord? Why is that never filmed?

I just try to keep an open mind especially when there is so much that cannot be explained logically.

I'm prepared to keep an open mind. Next time I'm watching parliament question time and the speaker's chair begins to levitate several metres from the ground and 150 MPs run screaming from the Parliament House and later no hoax can be established, I'll be perfectly willing to except ghosts as a possibility.

Jim 'sensing' a 'presence' and Mavis having a cold corner in her spare bedroom just isn't quite the same thing.

Well who doesnt believe in global warming ?

Wylie. I for one dont go to church.
Two, believe in eternity as it is the only "thing" that man cannot measure or reason with. It has to be believed because there is no argument against it.
You can head off in any direction and never come to an end. That's eternity.

Ghosts are a figment of imagination because there is no proof whatsoever of them.
The human brain is amazing and does create some crazy things in peoples conciousness. The powers of positive suggestion would be familiar with investors here, let alone the great sports people or people of any success.

Also, the powers of negative suggestion can put someone into a deep, dark and dreary place.

I have had dreams of people past, loved ones actually. Very very "real" life like dreams where everything is so believable and coherent with the touch sense as well. Then I wake up.

Funny how most ghosts "appear" at night. ;)

But each to their own. Knock yourselves out with ghosts.
Ooops, no dont get hurt. be careful.:D

We built a new house back in 2003 on land that had been vacant forever (originally part of a farm) so we certainly never expected anything there but we experienced a lot.
One evening after the kids were in bed I was reading in the lounge with the tele off. The angle of the tv reflected the doorway behind me that led to the kids rooms. At one point I looked up and saw a very curly head reflected in the screen so I say "I can see you there, get back to bed" and the head disappears. I thought it was my son who regularly grows his afro (he was about 8-9 at the time). I got up to check on him and he was sound asleep in his bed and then I realized we had given him a number 1 crew cut that morning.
My youngest daughter always talked about the little boy and his mummy who were in the house, she said they were dark and that he had curly hair like her brother. I saw the woman often day and night and so did my hubby.
maybe we are all delusional :rolleyes:

No-one in my family ever saw anything so there would be no need to get a camera out. Incidentally both my parents were photographers, they had several cameras around the place and if a 'sighting' had ever occurred, I'll bet my last $ they would have been out there trying to get a shot. But there were never any sightings and you can't photograph noise.

Nor could we predict when it might happen. Dad being a technophile if he had the chance would have had his recording gear out to record any sounds, but it wasn't that regular or that often, nor did it last long, no more than maybe 30 seconds tops.

How a person responds often seems to be a product of their personality. Some might run screaming from just footsteps whereas for me it was curious but not frightening. Now if objects had started flying throught the air at me I would have felt very differently, but there was never any of that.

What can I say? Those were our experiences. To this day if someone asks me if I believe in ghosts I say of course I don't, but I still have no rational explanation for those events.

A disused jail that now runs ghost tours is hardly the impartial public place I was envisaging.

I wasn't talking about the ghost tours. I believe it has been haunted long before it was ever open to the public.

Jim 'sensing' a 'presence' and Mavis having a cold corner in her spare bedroom just isn't quite the same thing.

To each their own. Ain't it grand that we can all have differing opinions and all be heard.

I am going to confront my ghost tonight and tell him or her to stop being a coward and show yourself! I'll have a camera handy just in case.

The Fence, I don't know what it was. Do you want to suggest a rational explanation?

Let's see - we weren't asleep, it wasn't night, no other sounds were heard except for footsteps down the corridor, it wasn't creaking floor boards, or echoes from the warehouse next door, the house was deadlocked front and back on at least 3 occasions and no-one was seen in the house upon immediate inspection after those 3 occasions (I sound like Inspector Foyle).

Maybe a living person who is invisible was residing in the house with us? I don't know what it was, I only know what I experienced. Whatever it was, I can understand why people would label it "haunted house".

A mother says to a 3 year old " you don't know how to do that" 3 year old says " yes I do from when I was here last time"

Different family, 5 year old girl says " I do so love this piece (of classical music)" Grandma says "have you heard it before?" girl says "Oh yes, I used to dance to it on stage"

Both true stories :confused:

Um, yeah.......

So did anyone do anything about these noises or blankets being removed?
Like getting up and grabbing back or something or simply petrified beyond movement?
I don't know - I was told a few years after the fact - by the Uncle and Auntie involved, and in front of my parents, who knew of these things but kept them quiet from us kids.

The Uncle is an engineer and the Auntie was a nurse, so they are prolly the least likely folk to believe in non-scientific stuff.

As far as I know, they had the experience, then put the blankets back on themselves and lay there in disbelief/fear/shock or whatever until the morning.

As for my other Uncle - as I said; he only stayed one night and wouldn't stay again.

The Fence, I don't know what it was. Do you want to suggest a rational explanation?

No, but you still dont believe in ghosts do you tigger?

We need a ghost buster, hey, myth busters, would be a good item for their show.

Look, I do believe in the spiritual, in the emotional sense that is.
I believe in someone being a spiritual person, as in receptive to others needs, wants etc and being "in tune" more so than others might be.

This can spill over, at least I think it does, into a state that when confronted with the right conditions and a decent imagination, it could trigger an epiphany of some sort.

But ghosts being real, Nuh !;)

Slightly off topic but related. I can, along with many others, divine for water pipes and, believe it or not, your telephone cable under the ground.
It's obviously a physical thing but it's shrouded in mystery that it is a magical thing.
I dont for one second think it's magical at all. maybe Im just lucky to be able to do it. I've know many old farmers who could do it and was taught by one of the greats in our area when I was in my early 20's. have used it on many occasions to accurately find pipes and phone lines before digging. So it's something that is proven to work.

Anyway, carry on. Love the stories.:)

Back