any paint recommendations ?

everyone probaly remember my place got trashed by some dope growers.

finally got insurance through and they told me to go select paint for that rooms.

i think they said pick any range of paint through a solver shop. and any colour i want...

also i am thinking of repainting the old rendered brick fence, what sort of paint is suitiable for this job ?

also another question is can you paint acrylic over enamel ??

Most good exterior paints (ie, solver) will go over anything. Read the tin, or ask the solver guys while you're there.

Acrylic will go over enamel sure but it'll peel off while your back is turned, sand it a bit to just roughen it up and undercoat it with a decent primer and you'll be fine. Without the primer, you're up for a world of pain. Solver primer is pretty good, we've been using it on our lovely dark beige miniorb ceilings and it works a treat. You probably should undercoat even when doing enamel on enamel, unless you're lazy like us and are doing indian red over mission brown - both very strong dark colours of very similar depth, and the red actually covers the brown 100% (or it looks 100%) with one coat and no undercoat.

We're planning to sell this house Very Soon and it will fetch a Very Low Price no matter what I do to the place so unsurprisingly some serious shortcuts are happening.

Interesting on the shortcuts RumpledElf

I wonder how many others are doing this?

I always ask the guys at bunnings or a paint store on the best. If they work with it every day they must know something (hopefully, unless the paint fumes get to them)

Hi Atti

If you went to Bunnings am sure they will help you with the right
paint for the surfaces you are looking for.

We are looking at getting the facia and timber of our PPOR painted, and have been told by the painter that he will use Dulux all weather exterior
paint.

Some years ago we painted a fence with a fence paint (terracotta) bought at Bunnings.

I heard recently when you use white for a ceiling, it's advisable for a dollop of black to be mixed in with the white as otherwise every bit of dirt
shows through.

Hope it goes well for you and Rumpled Elf sprucing up his place prior to selling.

Hi Atti,
Can't go wrong with Bunnings. Tip! Look out for opposition catalogues or go to Hware near Bunnings and get price of what you want. If cheaper than Bunnings, the'll call to verify and beat by 10%. I recently got a couple of 10L tins of Render paint for my courtyard landscaping. Bunnings price - $130, Opposition - $120, Bunnings sold me for $108. Too cool.

If you're doing a rendered wall get the right type of brush or roller. Else you'll be cursing all day.

Paints I've used. Exterior, Dulux X10 or Wattyl Solaguard VG.
Interior, Dulux 101 or Solver Maxiwash Vg.
Berger Trade Good.

IMHO, get the best you can afford and do the job the right way first time. It's worth it.

Project 1080

the project 10 IPs in 80 mths.

I'd hope not too many. I've spent about $35-40k on my house doing a total top-to-bottom renovation - roof, kitchen, bathroom, new everything - and in the 6 years I've had the house it has increased in value by about $50,000. After selling fees, that's a VERY tight margin. With no renovation at all, it would have increased $40,000, although I wouldn't have wanted to live with no hot water service and a leaky roof for 6 years, among other things. Money very badly spent in the grand scheme of things, and if I can't sell it at a profit it becomes a rental whether I want it to or not.

Taking shortcuts with the last minute painting before sale is kinda the least of my worries.

my OTHER house has increased by $150k in less than a year with $15k spent on it ...

Hubby's first house had a few shortcuts prior to being put on the market. Windows painted shut, bakelite light switches totally painted over in whatever position they were in when the painting was done......

Neighbour told us later that the house was painted externally in ONE DAY.

yeah paint does the trick, probally cheapest reno to make value goes up. my kitchen was so crap they painted same colour as the walls lol... humzz wall humzz kitch humzz yeah both!!

At the end of my first weekend of my first reno - I collapsed after painting for hours only to return the next week to find that painting acrylic over enamel was a huge mistake, took the next 2 weekends to sand it back and start again - and a few tears. 6 renos on I have learnt from mistake.

I use Dulux 101 and one coat ceiling ( even though hubby believes we need 3 coats usually onthe ceiling to make it look good). For my first reno I spent the $250 on an interior decorator and have used her colour scheme ever since.

Dulux Chalk White USA ( no longer in the catalogue just ask and they will mix it). Tis is a slight cream yellow warmth to it, if the place is dark then Antique White, nothing fancy, no feature walls just consitent and clean that is all you need.

Good luck.

Hope this helps
Jane

In the middle of painting my place now, ready to be rented out at the end of next month.

I know it wont apply to you in your case with insurance, but for anyone else, I just went to Solver and picked up some tins of mis-tint for about $30 for 10L. Pretty good for a tin that costs about $130.

All up, the project has cost just under $200 to do the whole house. It should raise the value a little bit, even though it has taken a month so far, just doing tidbits every night before bed.

If you're into colours, Dulux Hog Bristle (quarter strength) is a very nice wall colour. Our colour scheme in the other house, almost complete, is all gloss white skirtings and architraves, nice white ceiling (3 freakin coats over the yellow-beige miniorb ceilings, all done by brush, my neck hurts just thinking about it), the hog bristle quarter in the kitchen as it is a dark room, hog bristle full strength elsewhere and some dados and odd bits of wall in Dulux Self Destruct.

Combined with Ikea Merete curtains in brown and Ikea light fittings and some carpet in 'spice' - as yet to be installed - it is shaping up to look really, really, REALLY good. Kitchen is all shades of brown and white too, Ikea oak look laminate floors look really good with the hog bristle.

I think what really makes the difference is in the brush and the rest of the equipment. Simple things like a good quality roller and holder would make the job look so much better. So don't skimp on those. Even the bucket for the holder makes a difference. With the cheap quality ones, you will need to keep them clean by washing them (otherwise you get flakes in your paint), whereas the more expensive types, just leave them in the sun, and they peel right off. As for brushes, you don't have to go the really expensive ones, just as long as the bristles are soft, otherwise the streaks would ruin your paintjob.

i have been painting renos for years and have settled on haymes paints exclusively.
they have a really nifty product called (mental block, can't remember!, will get back to you) which is an exterior/interior sealer. goes on like acrylic paint and covers a multitude of sins.

my tips; claim new paint costs then buy mistints. i got a 20 litre drum of premium paint last week for $65 from my local haymes shop.

look for cream top quality paint. a warm cream is good, but watch out for pink-tinged cream.

do all woodwork in white gloss acrylic. then you can come along when the tenants move out and touch all the woodwork chips up.

do all ceilings in white, with nothing added for the same reason as above. a quick single coat over the ceiling and it looks like new again. if you tinted it, your touchups would stand out.

fill whatever gaps you can with no more gaps (cheap substitute works fine).

good luck!

finally remembered the name of the sealer stuff. it truly is a great product. it's called 'tricoat' and it goes on over most surfaces like acrylic paint. seals, binds and does it's stuff. a builder told me about it a few years ago and i've used loads of it. i love a product that i can use on lots of stuff instead of needing lots of different tins.

Hi
I find Berger triple prep oilbased great undercoat ,especially to change an enamel or unkown base coat to acrylic top coat, it sticks great:)
Damo.

Evening All,

Wanted to resurrect this thread re 'paint'.

Haven't done much painting myself, but what I have noticed in going through a few reno'd & even new places in recent years is the strong, acrid odour of some paints.

Now I have a slight advantage / disadvantage over most people in that my proboscus has a degree of prominence and it's volumetric capacity would be more than most, therefore my sensitivity to odour is perhaps more finely tuned than others, but........most paints these days smell really bad.

Not that many years ago I used to enjoy the smell of paint. Perhaps it is an increase in chemical base during production, or whatever.

Can anyone recommend a good quality paint that doesn't smell like nail polish remover???

Cheers,

Used a Taubmans Tradesman line just a week ago to paint my daughter's new flat (onya Dad!!)....comes in 15L can and 4L. Couldn't really say there was a smell at all. Used the low-sheen setting.
I also did her bathroom with Gloss Enamel from british paints, and it wasn't too bad. I use the enamel so that i don't ever have to deal with mould in the wet areas.
Hth,
John Bradshaw

talk about smelly paint i am using a dulux maxiwash enamel and man it stinks... i am getting headache afterwards.... the meth based sealer smells alright though... lol :eek:

Back