Anyone addicted to chilly

Hi All

Should read CHILLI......

Yes, I have a confession, I am addicted to chilli. I will not eat food unless I have a side of chilly. We go to restuarants regularly and I will always ask for extra hot chilli on my chilli prawns, mussells and always disappointed, not hot enough:(. and of course then I will always ask for chopped chilli on the side, the Chinese restuarants have good, hot chilli, however the Italian restuarants are shocking, the chilli is dripping in olive oil and it is not hot:(.

I shop at stores that stock the hottest, best chilli sauces cos I need the fix. Got some great sauces, but always looking for more.

Anyone got the same problem... I hope so, maybe we can share various sauces, chillies that work.

Got my husband growing various chilli plants that are the hottest of the hottest that's what he tells me..... anyway I hope to start making my own pastes, sauces.

Any chilli lovers out there???

Last edited:
guilty! love spicy food and chilli in particular. Put it on practically everything which is a bit of a no-no according to gourmands but I couldn't care less, i'm addicted.

Both the hubby and I just love chilli...

We adore Indian food but have struggled to find a decent curry joint here in OZ! I'm from the UK so was spoilt over there, and have tried many places in Brisbane/Gold Coast but unfortunately they don't live up to the UK.

Weve moved to Perth now so if anyone can recommend a good Indian restaurant then please share... :p

Ems

I grew up with chillies and had them almost every day including for breakfast some days (chilli scrambled eggs - consists of about a cup of dried chillies, fried with 2 scrambled eggs).

If they weren't added to meals, they were added as dried crushed chillies (these were always hanging drying in the shed).

My father was the chilli nut and was well connected with other chilli nuts, who swapped seeds with each other at the end of each season.

He grew such a big variety that to this day I rarely see many of the ones he grew being sold.

Yes they're definately addictive once you start.

An Australian friend who lived in India for a few years believes the same - once you get into them for a while, you don't want to stop.

One of the hottest varieties is habanero. There are a few hotter ones but habanero is fairly readily available. In our local fruit markets there is one of the four fruit shops which stocks them all the time. Every now and then they're available in the local mall Asian grocery.

There's some good YouTube clips available- search for habanero and you should find.

When I use them in cooking for public consumption I would use a substantially smaller amount than the small hot red ones.

There's habanero sauces available from www.fireworksfoods.com.au - or you can buy the seeds online.

They rate 100,000-350,000 on the Scoville scale. Birds eye rates 50-100,000.

Chop them using gloves. A very small amount left on your fingers can hurt your eye considerably.

I'm a huge chilli lover, and always ask for food hot and spicy at restaurants.

Did you know that if you ingest enough ultra hot chilli you can get a chilli high? Happened to me once, and it was a seriously weird experience.

I went through an addiction to Indian food in my mid to late 20's before Indian food became popular. I had this favourite Indian restaurant which had attached to it a nice takeaway outlet. I ate at the restaurant twice a week and had take away on 3 other nights a week. Included in each meal had to be a hot vindaloo. The owner thought I was crazy. I then went to a cooking class to learn how to cook Indian food so I could make it at home to take to work for lunch. In those days Pataks and Sherwoods were not around

Even on other foods I had to add hot spices…chilli sauce on cheese on toast, tabasco sauce on spaghetti bolognaise etc

I still love my hot foods, but an issue with gastric reflux had made me cut down.

I still eat Indian but not as often (only once a fortnight these days). While I still love it as much , the high calorie content doesn't agree with my waistline and in keeping with a healthy diet– Thai food now being my spicy cuisine of choice

A mate of mine introduced me to Chilli and I too am now addicted. He bought some sauces from Adelaide Chilli Sauce He got one of their hottest and OMG, you only need the tiniest bit and feel the endorphin's kick in.

Some of the names of the sauces are great:

Mini spontaneous combustion
Morning afterbum
Smack my *** and call me sally
Bloody Murder
Death pure Death and much more.......

I LOVE CHILLI!

A mate of mine introduced me to Chilli and I too am now addicted. He bought some sauces from Adelaide Chilli Sauce He got one of their hottest and OMG, you only need the tiniest bit and feel the endorphin's kick in.

Some of the names of the sauces are great:

Mini spontaneous combustion
Morning afterbum
Smack my *** and call me sally
Bloody Murder
Death pure Death and much more.......

I LOVE CHILLI!

Haha.... some creative names there

I love those chilli sauce names! My cockatoo loves chillies, apparently they don't feel the heat. We've been growing them for years - so easy to grow. I like chilli with scrambled eggs and with ham and salad sandwiches also and I agree, wearing gloves is a good tip!

This was our favourite local Indian Restaurant, cooked up a feast for the Aussie and Indian cricket teams when they are in Perth.

This restaurant became so popular they decided to charge $10 corkage (1 bottle of wine) which I think is outrageous. Gotta find a new Indian restaurant.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/gogos-madras-curry-house/mount-lawley

MTR

Do you like Thai MTR? Have you tried this place? It's quite interesting! http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/338/1460406/restaurant/Perth/Morley/Mae-Khong-Thai-Restaurant-Bedford

I used to love chilli - and the hotter the better - but hubby can't stomach it, so haven't cooked with it for years and my ability to cope with hot has since significantly declined :(

Mae khong is quite good, thai esarn down the road has some good stuff too. Overall best thai in perth is prob s and t, if you exclude nahm. Most of the high profile thai ones are rubbish and westernised.

Has anyone tried the bhut jalokia/ghost chilli? I only had a tiny bit but nearly fell over, fair bit hotter than habanero but too hot imo, not as tasty.

I've prob got around 20 different hot sauces atm, love my condiments

A great way to get a Chilli fix without having to wait for main meals.

Get yourself pack of Corn Chips, a jar of the everyday Corn Chip Dip that you get from the supermarket, then buy yourself one of the really hot chilli sauce bottles like shown here. Mix your really hot sauce into the corn chip dip until you get it just right for preferred hotness. Devour the corn chips at your perfect chilli hit level.

Will have to try it, great review, wow there are some gem little restuarants around. thanks

The first time I went with a group of 6 friends. We all got a dish each and had a bit of each, it was devine! Second time I went with husband and only ordered two or three dishes. Was still good but much better doing in a larger group to try more.

Mae khong is quite good, thai esarn down the road has some good stuff too. Overall best thai in perth is prob s and t, if you exclude nahm. Most of the high profile thai ones are rubbish and westernised.

Has anyone tried the bhut jalokia/ghost chilli? I only had a tiny bit but nearly fell over, fair bit hotter than habanero but too hot imo, not as tasty.

I've prob got around 20 different hot sauces atm, love my condiments

Hi sanj
you got me... where can I buy jalokia/ghost chilli?? Maybe I'll trying Farmer Jacks, Girrawheen:D

Since I have been buying properties in Girrawheen, I discovered Farmer Jacks, no ordinery Farmer Jacks, its FJ meets China/Vietnam, simply amazing. I could spend a day in this shop, its off Girrawheen Avenue.

Side tracking a little, but for those in Perth, its worth the trip, amazing sources, chilli by the kg, they cook chinese style ducks on the premises and plenty of other delicious food. The veg and fruit is superior to anything I have tried and more than 50% cheaper on most items. Also if you are into mushrooms, you can get amazing variety here and same with the variety of chinese veg.

My husband is a foodie and a damn good cook, someone in the family needs to be, it aint me, he has cooked up some amazing curries, but unfortunately we have to always keep the chilli to minium because of my children or when we are entertaining no one can handle it too hot.

What my sister in law calls hot is hilarious, anyway she is still making curries with jam and raisins, the old Aussie style... thankfully we have all moved on I think:p

Cheers MTR

Back