Anyone addicted to chilly

I don't like hot.
The hotter the better for Rob. If it makes his eyes tear, he is happy.

We have a restaurant in our town where they make you sign a release form before eating a certain hot chili sauce. A bit of 'marketing' I suspect.

We both LOVE hot chillis. We found what I assumed was a baby birdseye plant growing wild near my folks' place a couple of years back - the chillis were beautiful and reasonably hot (compared to the baby birdseye plant we'd bought from the nursery, advertised as "hot"), and we picked several crops over a few months. I kept saying we should try and take a cutting to grow at home but I never got around to doing the research to see whether they grow from cuttings... then it was gone (road verge tidy up, I suspect). . :(

I had a look at some of the links posted earlier in the thread and see that there's a WA-based online store that sells plants... but only in WA, of course. How hard are habanero / bhut jalokia to grow from seed? If anyone knows any sources to buy online (ie plants rather than seeds, even just a little plant would be OK), I'd love to hear them.

Yum, chilli. Now I'm hungry.

hobo, you can get seeds from Eden seeds, they have heaps of varieties. Daleys or Diggers might have plants. They are reasonably easy to grow from seed.
I am glad I read this thread as I was starting to get offended everytime hubby added chilli sauce to whatever i cooked. I see now that he has an addiction and can't help himself!:eek:
He buys some hard-core stuff in chinatown or purees birdseye chillis if he desperate. We are now growing our own chilli (birds eye, of course) and all our own ginger as we eat that in nearly every meal too.
I like chilli, but not as much as he does. He is chinese/islander, I am a whitey :).
Sanj, you make me want to go to WA just to check out that market!

North Garden at Bassendean does the best Szechuan beef I've ever eaten. It's making me hungry thinkIng about it. I also get addicted to sushi and wasabi. :) (I have to look up ingredients for wasabi, have no idea what it's made of). I can tolerate heat better than my hubby. I'd probably take after the French side of my family the most, my grandfather was French.

Last edited:
(I have to look up ingredients for wasabi, have no idea what it's made of). .

Invstor,

Most of the green stuff you buy is a very poor imitiation of the real thing. Look at the ingredients and you will find it is flour, coloring and flavoring.

Real wasabi is from the root/stem base of the wasabi plant - a brassica related to cabbages, horseraddish, and mustard.

It is native to the cool, shady mountain streams of the Japanese highlands.

The stem is taken to the table and grated with shark skin (similar to emery paper - much finer than a metal grater)

Wasabi is very dark, almost a bit grey in colour and more watery than people think.

What is exciting is that some Tasmanians have taken to growing the plant (suited to the cool climate)

Some links

http://www.shimawasabi.com.au/

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2004/s1151892.htm

I'm trying to firgure out a shade clothed / water bath to try and grow it in the patio, but not sure it will survive the melbourne summer. The bathtub in the bathroom might actually work better :eek::D

The Y-man

Invstor,

Most of the green stuff you buy is a very poor imitiation of the real thing. Look at the ingredients and you will find it is flour, coloring and flavoring.

Real wasabi is from the root/stem base of the wasabi plant - a brassica related to cabbages, horseraddish, and mustard.

The stem is taken to the table and grated with shark skin (similar to emery paper - much finer than a metal grater)

Wasabi is very dark, almost a bit grey in colour and more watery than people think.

What is exciting is that some Tasmanians have taken to growing the plant (suited to the cool climate)

Some links

I'm trying to firgure out a shade clothed / water bath to try and grow it in the patio, but not sure it will survive the melbourne summer. The bathtub in the bathroom might actually work better :eek::D

The Y-man
I was reading about it last night, I'm not sure if I've been dudded. :) I can't eat the one you buy in the supermarket, yuck! I'll have to find out if I'm eating the real thing next time I get takeaway. Good luck with growing them. Let me know if you have success.

Invstor,

Some links

The Y-man

Thanks Y-man
Interesting.

I don't understand why I can out chilli anyone, but when it comes to wasabi I can't take it, absolutely kills me. :eek:

Invstor - Funnily enough i did a search for a particular place re wasabi and post of mine on another from 4 years ago came up.

"if u enjoy the real thing (and u sound like u do) there are 2 options in perth that i know of.

peko peko in doubleview sell grated fresh wasabi in little plastic containers.

the other one is a wasabi paste imported from NZ. it is sold in boatshed (cottesloe) in their fridge section where they keep the caviar etc. is around $10-$15 a bottle and is a paste made from fresh wasabi, which is now being grown in NZ."

no idea if peko peko still sell it but it was definitely the real thing from NZ. boatshed would prob still have that paste but again, not sure. it was a pretty good paste though.

the green tubes are a lot harsher than the real thing and with most takeaway places their wasabi is made from wasabi powder with water added to it which is why some are quite weak/watered down.

this is the paste btw - not the same as the fresh product but significantly better than the tubes or powder imo https://www.coppersfolly.co.nz/about-pure-wasabi-from-coppersfolly

Update on Chilli Experience

We just finished eating the last of our Habanero chilli, we purchased the bush from Bunnings last summer.

Its not to my taste, its too hot, I can not believe I am saying this.... Anyone else tried it, good luck with that one:eek:

MTR

We just finished eating the last of our Habanero chilli, we purchased the bush from Bunnings last summer.

Its not to my taste, its too hot, I can not believe I am saying this.... Anyone else tried it, good luck with that one:eek:

MTR
Habanero is super hot. Search Youtube on Habanero. It is one of the hottest available from seed in Australia.

Chop them using gloves. A very small amount left on your fingers can hurt your eye considerably.

Not just your eyes Geoff. Going to the bathroom to shake hands with the unemployed can be pretty painful after chopping chillies.....

Warning: Non family friendly crassness coming up...

A female friend of mine used to boast of her chilli eating prowess. Years ago, after chopping up some particularly mean chillies, without gloves, she had the need to insert a tampon.

We still laugh about it. Well, I do. She sort of gets this funny look on her face and crosses her legs and goes very quiet.

Hi, guys and chillis!
Once we had a party & some of my brother in law's Aussie corporate type friends. I cooked a chicken curry which the Greek relis loved but blew their lips to cool down.

i was in line to get the chillis & this guy took a big spoonful. I tried to be helpful & said I'd be less liberal with them as they were hot. He gave me this look like 'who are you?'

Later I saw his wife fanning his lips. serves him right.

Ky

Had the best chilli sauce ever, only for those who are really serious about their chilli should try this, it's dangerous:eek:.

Salsa Picante de
Chile Habanero
El Yucateco

Purchased it at Mammacita Restaurant in Melb ($9.00 per bottle)
Am sure you can order this on line.

Back