Anyone addicted to chilly

Yeah farmer jacks girrawheen is brilliant, as is the tiny burmese takeaway in that same shopping centre, i had lunch there again last week. They do a great mohinga for $5, yes a lunch for $5!

Btw FJ there is one of the few places in PErth where you can buy fresh ducks, in the butcher at the back.

Ghost chilli is hard to find, i bought it at the chilli festival but you can get them from wildfire chilli online or at some markets.

one onion, one capsicum, one field shroom, one corn cob stripped.
Some garlic, chilli, paprika, powdered cumin and powered corriander (ratio 4, 2 1 of the spices)
a can of tomatoes, a can of kidney beans (drained!)
simmered for hours then served with brown rice, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.

ultimate vegetarian 'meaty' food.
freezes well for lunches, or vegetarians who pop over unannounced, or for topping nachos.

Id estimate less than $1 a serve....

Mae khong is quite good, thai esarn down the road has some good stuff too. Overall best thai in perth is prob s and t, if you exclude nahm. Most of the high profile thai ones are rubbish and westernised.

Has anyone tried the bhut jalokia/ghost chilli? I only had a tiny bit but nearly fell over, fair bit hotter than habanero but too hot imo, not as tasty.

I've prob got around 20 different hot sauces atm, love my condiments

Ghost chilli was what caused my little 'incident' where I couldn't sit on my chair...

Mae khong is quite good, thai esarn down the road has some good stuff too. Overall best thai in perth is prob s and t, if you exclude nahm. Most of the high profile thai ones are rubbish and westernised.

Has anyone tried the bhut jalokia/ghost chilli? I only had a tiny bit but nearly fell over, fair bit hotter than habanero but too hot imo, not as tasty.

I've prob got around 20 different hot sauces atm, love my condiments

We were given a ghost chilli plant for xmas one year..very very hot and gloves are needed to handle them..

Ems

Yeah farmer jacks girrawheen is brilliant, as is the tiny burmese takeaway in that same shopping centre, i had lunch there again last week. They do a great mohinga for $5, yes a lunch for $5!

Btw FJ there is one of the few places in PErth where you can buy fresh ducks, in the butcher at the back.

Ghost chilli is hard to find, i bought it at the chilli festival but you can get them from wildfire chilli online or at some markets.

You do get around, I just got back from FJ Girrawheen, OK, I will lash out next time and buy that $5 lunch. I got vietanmese spring rolls for $4, they make them fresh on the spot. We certainly have some hidden gems around Perth, I have all my friends shopping there now.

Will go on line for the killer chilli.

Cheers,MTR

You do get around, I just got back from FJ Girrawheen, OK, I will lash out next time and buy that $5 lunch. I got vietanmese spring rolls for $4, they make them fresh on the spot. We certainly have some hidden gems around Perth, I have all my friends shopping there now.

Cheers,MTR

I think my in laws got the ghost chilli plant from bunnings

Ems

Cheers,MTR

Food is the only thing im more passionate about than property (although it is pretty close) so i cant help myself. Some amazing stuff around Perth people just need to venture out a bit

Another easy thing to grow is ginger. Yum! And to buy whole nutmeg and grate it yourself for cooking... I wonder if you can easily grow it?

One of the hottest varieties is habanero. There are a few hotter ones but habanero is fairly readily available. In our local fruit markets there is one of the four fruit shops which stocks them all the time. Every now and then they're available in the local mall Asian grocery.

There's some good YouTube clips available- search for habanero and you should find.

When I use them in cooking for public consumption I would use a substantially smaller amount than the small hot red ones.

There's habanero sauces available from www.fireworksfoods.com.au - or you can buy the seeds online.

They rate 100,000-350,000 on the Scoville scale. Birds eye rates 50-100,000.

Chop them using gloves. A very small amount left on your fingers can hurt your eye considerably.

Hi Geoff
Got the habanero growing in the backyard, ghost chilli surpasses this, I am on the hunt now.

The Fireworks Foods site I've mentioned has a chilli seed page. The ghost chilli is also known as Bhut Jolokia which is available on that page.

It's interesting to go into a Mexican supermarket. There's 20+ different varieties of chillies, some small and hot, some big and mild. Each on has a name like Ancho, Guajillo, Serrano, jalapeño etc. Each one has its use, and the Mexican home cook knows them all well. It's not just about heat- although it can be a bit of a macho thing to eat an extremely hot one.

The hottest one in common use in Mexico is known colloquially as puta madre. I won't translate what it really means. Suffice to say that madre is mother and the other word is short for prostituta.

ive bought from fireworks too, was pretty happy although the blue corn tortillas arrived mouldy. everything else was good as well. for anyone interested spanish flavours in mt hawthorn has a number of mexican and south american products, from the chillies, canned chipotle, hot sauces, masa etc even down to panela. oh and one of the better chorizo in australia from rodriguez brothers in sydney

I would be interested to know the background/nationality of the "Chilli Lovers" who have posted, call it curiousity

My parents are Italian, my mother is Southern Italian (Calabria) and they use chilli with almost everything. My father is Northern Italian (Lake Como) they are not into hot chilli unlike the Southern Italians they are into cheese/white sauces. That made family life a little fun.

Anyone else care to share?

Cheers, MTR

I would be interested to know the background/nationality of the "Chilli Lovers" who have posted, call it curiousity

My parents are Italian, my mother is Southern Italian (Calabria) and they use chilli with almost everything. My father is Northern Italian (Lake Como) they are not into hot chilli unlike the Southern Italians they are into cheese/white sauces. That made family life a little fun.

Cheers, MTR

Both parents are English (they don't eat chilli at all)... I was born in Adelaide

Cheers, MTR

I'm English, the hubby Aussie (although he's more English then I'am) both love chilli...

From what i've found not many aussie's can handle hot food, if they can and enjoy it their in the minority..

Ems

I shop at stores that stock the hottest, best chilli sauces cos I need the fix. Got some great sauces, but always looking for more.

Anyone got the same problem... I hope so, maybe we can share various sauces, chillies that work.

Got my husband growing various chilli plants that are the hottest of the hottest that's what he tells me..... anyway I hope to start making my own pastes, sauces.

Any chilli lovers out there???
My husband has the same "problem", MTR. I go to the Fremantle Araluen Chilli Festival at Esplanade Park in Freo every year and buy the hottest products and plants I can find. Last year there were plenty of Ghost Chilli plants available - and every other kind you could imagine. Definitely worth a visit : 9/10 March 2013 http://www.araluenbotanicpark.com.au/araluen-fremantle-chilli-festival/.

I also find that this website is invaluable for hot products : www.chilliandspice.com.au.:p

cheers

Father Macedonian (Yugoslavian), mother Greek.

I don't think the Greeks get into the hot chillies much, but some obviously do because I've met some through my father.

Crushed dried chillies were on the table with the salt for most meals, and pickled chillies were pretty staple too, so got to gauge visitors reaction to them over time.

Not many Macedonians in Adelaide, but have a few relos in Perth and they eat them, just not quite like my father, so i don't know if it's a country, regional or just a family thing.

Husbands Australian parents don't touch the stuff, but he's mad on chilli too.

Back