Anyone going to Peter Spann's event this weekend?

Aceyducey said:
Anyone going to Peter Spann's event this weekend?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Someone called me a "Spanner" the other week.... so, yes. Last minute decision on Monday night....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Field Report ??

Spanner.... er.... Y man,

Wish I could join you guys there but am in Singapore at the moment...

Would you mind sharing your views on the event if indeed you are going ?

I'm currently pestering Freeman Fox for their '05 schedule, so I can plan my seminar trips for next year....

CHeers & Have a great time... !

Scott

That's the "Island Wealth Jamboree" at Hamilton Island.

I would love to have gone- but we have a Canberra Christmas do on this weekend :D - and a few other reasns as well.

I'd love to get a report from those who went.

The Y-man said:
Someone called me a "Spanner" the other week.... so, yes. Last minute decision on Monday night....

Cheers,

The Y-man

As you can guess from Acey's post, we're going. Wanna meet up?

Jas

Very good.

Picked up 3-4 new investing approaches that look quite valuable for the toolkit & got the refocus we wanted.

Will post a report soon :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Thanks Acey,

Hope you guys had some fun too !!!

Out of interest, do you have any of PS's home study kits ? or have you only been to his seminars ??

Cheers & looking forward to report !!!

Acey'll make a long and detailed post about what went on, so I'll let him ;)

One thing Peter mentioned was protected lending. HEre's the URL from maquirie about it
http://personal.macquarie.com.au/pe...nt_loans/protect_lend/protect_lend_detail.htm

I like it. It took two or three examples for me to understand it, now that I do, I want it :)

He also made many comments such as "NO MORE FREAKING RESIDENTAL PROPERTY!". He said the market's flat, its going to stay flat for the next few years, the share market has gone up by 120% (this is from my memery, the number might be skewed). why aren't we invested where the returns are?

He made many jokes about people bringing him their portfolios, which where stuffed full of residental property and no shares. (His 'money magic' seminar deals with shares after lunch, and he accussed his clients of going to sleep after the lunch break).

On the fun side, we hired a speedboat for a few hours and went snorkeling on a coral reef. That was great! Speedboats are fun ;) Fish and coral are beautiful.

Jas (who now has a new desire to learn how to scube dive and go dive some wrecks)

protected lending

Jas,

Any chance you or someone else gained enough of an understanding of the protected lending to be able to give us a brief explanation \ example?

I too would like to know more about the weekend...

Waz11

WaySolid said:
Interesting Jas,

I want to read more about the weekend, who will be posting? :)

WaySolid

I will also be posting when I can get my thoughts and notes in order.... :D

The main thing I discovered over the weekend was the amazing and almost boundless energy Jas and Acey have :) - I mean these two were up at the crack of dawn each day hiking, boating, snorkelling - before turning up for the seminar each day (11am to 7:30pm)........... I was sound asleep till about 10am each morning :p

Cheers,

The Y-man

Ok, protected lending. Here goes:

say you have $14,000 to invest. You use that money to prepay 12 mths interest on a 100,000 magrin loan. You also use that 14,000 to buy a hedge against any margin calls on the loan. Because of hte loan, you can get 100% loan, you don't invest any captail of your own in the shares. So you go and buy 100,000 worth of shares.

Now, the ATO will give you a tax dedcuation on 10,000 of the 14,000. If you are at the top tax rate, you get 5,000 back.

You'll also get dividend yeilds. at an average of 4.5% didvends, you get 4,500 in dividens. You also will get frankung credits on that of around 2,000.

Here's the sum so far:
invest: 14,000
credits: 11,500 (5,000+4,500+2,000)

You have a grand total of 2,000 at risk.

In 12 months time:
the shares go bakwards in price. You lose 2,000
they go up 10%. You gain 10,000
they go up 120% (like they did in the last 18 months). You gain 120,000. you can't ganurtee they will do that thou.

You're betting on captial gain. If there's none, you lose. If there's lots, you win bigtime.

You can also write covered calls against the shares. Peter believes that you'd make 4,000 on the covered calls over the year, making your risk nil. Even if the shares go backwards, you make a profit of 1,500 (10% gain on your inital investment).
invest: 14,000
credits: 15,500 (5,000+4,500+2,000+4,000)

Jas

I'm not quite happy with the figures he gave- I wasn't happy with them before either. Assuming top tax rate- $5,000 tax back. There's $4,500 in dividends- but $2,250 tax payable on that- less franking credits- $250 tax. So total credits are $5,000 + $4,250 = $9,250. So it's $4,750 at risk, not $2,000.

If the shares go up, the cost base (I think) is $4,000- as $10,000 has been claimed. I'm not quite sure how that affects the calcs.

As far as writing covered calls- Peter has said that this is someting you would onlt do if you were really comfortable with writing covered calls, as you do not want to get exercised at all.

Hey Geoff.

My understanding is that the cost base is the 100,000. The 14,000 is just interest and hedge payments. However, I haven't read the tax ruling on the matter. Maquire bank has a produst ruling on the matter - PR 2004/76*, but I haven't tracked it down yet.

Jas

Is the cost base $104,000? The reason $4,000 is not deductible against income is that it is not for interest payments- presumably, that's the hedge, which forms part of the cost base?

Back