Anyone Lifted and Built Underneath In Brisbane Area?

Hi, has anyone lifted and built underneath in the Brisbane area (even better if in Moreton Bay Region).

I've read a fair bit, but need to ask some seemingly fundamental questions of someone that has done it.

Please reply if you have. Thank-you.

I have a house currently sitting on stilts in Brisbane after being slid and raised. The posts are going in next week.

I'm only having the garage and laundry built underneath tho.

Tim86 is presently doing this as an owner-builder, and has a long thread about it on the forum. (Last updated today, in fact. :))

This is not my thread but I also am keen to hear some answers about lifting and raising.

How much more is it likely to cost to lift and slide a house over just lifting it?

In Brisbane, if I allow $20K for the actual lift, how much extra to slide it sideways a few metres?

I'm guessing if we allow $50K to lift/slide and reconnect services we would see some change to put towards a slab (or am I dreaming)?

Cost me about $5500 to raise on blocks maybe an extra $1000 or so to get them to slide it back 1.5m.

Then I paid $10 000 in stumps nearly 50 stumps hot dip gal 6.7m long I think. Put the stumps in myself.

$2000 for the digger and truck to bore the holes and take away old stumps. $2000 in concrete.

If paying someone to do the stumping for you add approx $10000.

This is not my thread but I also am keen to hear some answers about lifting and raising.

How much more is it likely to cost to lift and slide a house over just lifting it?

In Brisbane, if I allow $20K for the actual lift, how much extra to slide it sideways a few metres?

I'm guessing if we allow $50K to lift/slide and reconnect services we would see some change to put towards a slab (or am I dreaming)?

I've just paid 33K but I also had to have my place rotated 45 degrees which costs a bit more than the average slide and raise. If only I or my draftsman was aware of the increased cost in rotation I would've kept it on the same plane.

You could be under 50K if you are only limiting the building costs to the disconnection/reconnection.

I'm paying 50K to the builder (on top of house slide/raise). this includes disconnection/reconnection, removal of existing piers, concreting posts, concrete to car space and laundry, fit out of laundry, double garage doors, gravel to remainder of the ground space under the house, adding new stairs to front and back, excavation of new driveway including crossover, concrete to cross over/council space and gravel to driveway, and timber battens to underside of house and the addition of a gate as I am not fitting out the whole of the space.

I'm sure if I shopped around more I would've gotten it all cheaper but doing this remotely has its challenges.

Also factor in any temporary electrical pole costs if needed and any asbestos removal. The post war house I had raised had a tack-on laundry that required removal.

Thank-you all for the replies. My questions are as follows:

- what is the first step in explaining what I want done and to whom? Do I sketch it up and take to architect? Do I go to a draftsman? Do I need to talk to council at this stage?

- What are the overall stages to do the following:
? Lift house to maximum height (not a big house from 1940's/1950's) currently single-storey
? Put a slab down underneath that covers the area
? What would be the additional steps to make underneath livable (i.e. close it in)
? What are the approximate costs at each step?

The more detailed for me the better. Thank-you.

1. Town Planner
This is to make sure what you want to do is allowed under the town plan.

2. Building Certifier
If what you want to do does not require planning approval, only building approval then good to touch base now.

3. Drafty
Get some concepts sketched up that comply with planning

4. Builder
To make suggestions on ways to change drafty's design to save money

5. Drafty
Finish Plans

6. Town Planner
Get approval

7. Engineer
Get structural design done

8. Certifier
Get Building approval

9. House Raiser
Raise house

10. Builder
Complete fitout

You can combine two of these if you use a designer who also is a structural engineer. We had one draw up our last big renovation and designed the structural steel component at the same time.

Our son is having a designer draw up their lift job and that designer will be outsourcing to a structural engineer. I'm sure they will add some profit for themselves into the fee for the structural engineer, so combining the two could save you some money (and maybe I'm just too cynical - maybe they will not add any profit to the engineer part of the job).

Last edited:
Thank-you

Thank-you to all that replied. That gives me something to work with and I'll see if I can learn to do a bit of sketching in a CAD-like program. Fun fun.

Back