APS interviews for bulk rounds

Hello,

I have just received a call saying that I have been successful getting an interview for the APS5/6 bulk round at my work (I am a 4 and applied for a 5 position). Does anyone who has worked in the public service have any tips? I'm not really used to these more generalised interviews as I have only really been to ones that were for a very specific position - not a panel interviewing many people for many different jobs.

Thanks in advance :)

IIRC, there will be a set of criteria for each level of the APS. Your challenge, therefore, is to demonstrate you meet the criteria for whatever level it is you're pitching for (I'm assuming you would take a 6, if offered). By demonstrate I mean to provide a concrete example (or examples, if able to).

And, aside from that, just know your stuff (the work of whatever agency it is, and how it fits into the overall APS and the government's agenda.

Could it be an opportunity to work in a new area of your department? If so, be prepared to comment intelligently on where you would like to work, and why.

Line up your referees too, of course.

Good luck.

(I was in the APS... a long while ago)

Review the criteria of what the position entails and provide details of how you match it and exceed it.

Worked for me getting a senior role at a young age in NSW.

IIRC, there will be a set of criteria for each level of the APS.
It might be called a capability map?

During interviews we would usually come up with 5 or 6 questions that addressed each capability. Take in a copy of the capability map (if applicable to your department) and some examples of when you've addressed those capabilities.

As Mark though, it's been a while.

Cheers

Jamie

as Jamie said, its all about that capability framework and its many buzzwords...but you probably know that given you got an interview...all questions should be based on that, specially given its a bulk process, just have a few examples in your head for each, but im sure the questions will be specific enough so that you cant just rattle off any old example etc, but you should be able to tell what capability the question is addressing hence kinda know what they are looking for

It's called the ILS (Integrated Leadership System) and you can find it on the APSC website. However since you're already in the APS, you're probably aware of it (and this has probably been more of a benefit of the other posters, lol).

Coincidentally, my organisation is doing a combined 5/6 round as well... :eek: One of the guys I've been supervising has applied for an APS6 position. Despite working in IT, I don't find a huge difference between this field and any other in selling yourself to the interview panel - one of the most important things you need to demonstrate is that you understand how your work contributes to the organisation's goals, not just your own goals or your team's, and be able to back that up with examples from your previous and current work.

Another thing to keep abreast of is what else is going on in the organisation, and also in the wider industry. The panel may query you here as well.

Remember to take a positive attitude into the interview and show confidence (but not too much ;))! Best of luck with it!

I've been on two panels in the last two years. The most recent one was two weeks ago where I was the Chair. I haven't conducted any bulk rounds though.

Some things to consider:

These days in Federal Government the first 5 criteria are always the same for any positions - 1) Strategic thinking 2) Achieve results etc etc... Criteria 6 is the one the panel will most closely look at as this is the only place we can ask for things specific to the position that is to be filled (not sure if they have criteria 6 for bulk recruitment).

At interview you will need to demonstrate that you have the relevant experience.

My advice:

- Pick one or two top examples from your current or past role where you are able to demonstrate you can do what they are asking for e.g. 'Achieved Results'
- Use most recent example first
- Use the STAR model/format when communicating to the panel. STAR stands for situation, task, action, result.

Forget buzz words, the panel will know if you are faking it without actually understanding it. If they prob further to see if you actually understand and you can't back up it will hurt your chances of winning the position. They are looking for real, tangible, demonstrated experience. They won't be fooled by buzz words.

If you haven't got something they are asking for say I haven't done 'x' specifically but I have done 'y' which is very similar (explain how it's similar) and continue to say if I was tasked with 'x' I would do it this way.

Hope that helps. Good luck

As a former EL II, I can only advise you to strike a solid friendship with one or all of the committee members.

Drinks after work (or during long lunches), share an interest in their favorite football club, or perhaps a few rounds of golf. A card night is great. Make sure the committee member ALWAYS wins! Ask him/her if they have been working out etc

A short skirt and a nice smile will always help, if appropriate of course.

Anway, goodluck. These tips always worked for me!

Thanks for all your advice - it is very helpful. I will go over the ILS chart today and tomorrow and think of examples for each criteria.

Probably a silly question but is there generally a rough number of applicants they interview per position? I heard there was almost 1000 applications for the APS5/6 positions combined and there will be 40-50 positions offered all up, AFAIK. i like to have some idea of the odds if possible :p

I've been told a recent round at Health got between 1000 and 2000 applications :eek:

I was on a panel for a 6 round recently and got 15 applications - which was plenty!

Back