Architect, builder or draftsperson?

Hi all, I'm looking at turning my carport into a garage and then pitching a roof over it as well as redesigning the front entrance. Maybe pitch a roof between that and the new garage also. I also want to make some cosmetic changes to the house. Ie. replace windows, render the house, etc.

Basically, I want to "modernise" my home as it's built from that ugly 70's orange brick, but I want to do it right if I'm spending big dollars.

Who do I need to contact first? Is it an engineer, architect, builder or draftsperson?

Help needed as I don't know who to call!:confused:

hi there Bludger,

Answer, none!:)

A Surveyor comes first.

A SUrveyor will take your levels in order for a draftsman or Architect to design the plans. The builder comes last.

By the way a good draftsman will do just as good a job as an Architect and charge alot less for a basic carport and reno. Depends what yu want.

Regards Jo

I agree, a draftsman should be sufficient for a job like that. In saying this, it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. In regards to who is first to consult, check your local council guidelines first (free of charge) bfore you consult anyone on the project. This will save you money if for any reason you are allowed to do your extensions.

Depends how important the design/aesthetics are to you. A draftsman can cope with the technical aspects if you know exactly what you want, and would be happy with that.

A building designer or architect, though, generally have a much more refined aesthetic sense. I would estimate that less than 1 per cent of the Australian population have the creativity and taste to be able to design a lovely home. Many seem to think it's about floor plan - a gorgeous home is about so much more than the layout. Most of us don't even seem to realise how much better our home could be if it were better designed.

I'm unfortunately not one of the 1 per cent, but I do appreciate the difference between a great design and the hideous brick-and-tile mediocrity that is the norm in Australia. (No offence intended - I live in one of those brick-and-tile monstrosities myself right now. :eek:)

For an IP, or a stepping stone PPR, a draftsman, builder or (preferably) building designer would be adequate. To build my dream home, it would have to be an architect, or a very good building designer.

im my architecture course we spent sooo much time on design and streetscape and finishes ect ect, but i can only call my self a draftsperson. No matter what you are (architect, building designer, draftsperson) its about meeting the clinets requirements and being able to extract what there after. not all architects have creativity and taste and very few factor functionality into there designs, trust me.

I got through 2 years of architecture before I realised I was quite mediocre at it (I'm too practical, I do things with right angles. The other students did crazy weirdass curvy things that didn't look like they would ever stand up) and did a computer science degree instead. The weirder your design, the higher the mark they'd give you in architecture school.

Now I take my house fetish out on renovating instead. Third reno starts next month :D

I got through 2 years of architecture before I realised I was quite mediocre at it (I'm too practical, I do things with right angles. The other students did crazy weirdass curvy things that didn't look like they would ever stand up) and did a computer science degree instead. The weirder your design, the higher the mark they'd give you in architecture school.

Now I take my house fetish out on renovating instead. Third reno starts next month :D

Its funny you say that, my friends i did a diploma of architecture with are now at uni and doing very very bad cause they design things that work lol.
One of them put pillers in a building to support it and lost marks cause "its the engineers job".

Thats the future architects of the future :) not only do u need to hire and architect and a structural engineer, you will have to pay them to amend everything untill they get it right and can agree.

Bluecard - I use to wanna be an architect untill i had to work with them. I was doing commercial facades and had many disputes with architects on sites over things that physcially wont work. there reply usually was "but it looks good". they dont belive sky hooks are a myth

Back