Votes: 27 17.0%

Votes: 44 27.7%

Votes: 27 17.0%

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters
Hi All,

I know the answer, I have 5 of them. I condider myself the wealthiest man on this forum.

I was just wondering if "investing" type people have more than the average amount of kids.

And if you have more than the average (2 ish) how do you handle you investments? I guess it would slow you down.

Lets do a poll, how many kids do you have?

GG

GG you seem to have a lot of energy. ;) I'd like to have kids someday. Lots of 'em, just like you. It's one of the reasons I've been investing so heavily while single.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mean "investment" in a financial sense. Family is family. Family serves its own purpose irrespective of anything else.

We have 3 kids under 4.
Serviceability requirements from the banks are really ridiculous just by adding dependents. We still have managed to invest. We also still have managed good cash flow to enjoy life.
It can be done kids, investments, cash flow and a happy marriage!

Kids

Hiya

Warning! Corny post.

My three kids have certainly "enriched" my life; i now see the world differently from their perspective. i've learnt more about humility, compassion, kindness , patience :), simple acts of joy etc through them.

Gold and silver do fade away but these life experiences will stay and be a part of who and what i am forever.

So are they a good investment? You betcha!

So are they a good investment? You betcha!

I well and truly second that. Our children (adults) and our grandchildren (2 beautiful little boys) have enriched our lives, beyond description. Yes, of course it does take considerable funds to raise and educate them but they very quickly grow up and leave the nest. And the thought of expenditure on their behalf is the last thing that you think of when balanced against the absolute joy they give in return.
Frizzle :)

Getting this discussion back to a purely financial basis kids can be a great investment especially when they go into a trade and you can gain some return on your "investment". Having 5 sons (builder, carpenter, floor layer, accountant, unemployed) the ability to have trades done at cost and with guaranteed quality is "priceless".

I hope you don't mean "investment" in a financial sense. Family is family. Family serves its own purpose irrespective of anything else.

Of course I mean in a financial sense, its a fact, having kids doesn't make financial sense.

If we stopped a 2 (boy and a girl) we would have 2 or 3 more IP's

But that is not important to us........what is important to us is our kids and providing for them now and in the future.

Hmmmm.....might make it an even 6 :eek:

GG

I don't have any, but hubby and I have been trying for a while. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen for us. Anyway from a childless perspective, financially they're a very bad investment for the first 16 or so years (while they live at home) but then they could pay off in ways others have mentioned by being able to get work at cost rates if they're in the right areas.

For me, we're not that well off financially, only a couple of IP's in place so far and already in our thirties, but I still desperately want to have a child. I know that we could just not have kids and really be set in 10-15 years (if we speed up paying off our mortgage rather than travelling and going out to dinner 2-3 times per week), but I think either way realistically we're still going to end up in the same sort of position.

Three children.

Three and a bit grandchildren.

Financially? Slowed us down considerably as I gave up work to stay at home with them (as you did in the seventies). Only part time work once they went to school. So basically lived and invested on one income.

Emotionally? Priceless.
Marg

+1 what Marg said.
we have 3 kids and first grandkid on the way. We did the majority of our investing on one wage. But the experiences we had by having kids-priceless. Granted with still having 2 teens in the house.....aaarrrggghhh!!!!!!!!:D

Yep have to admit kids are bloomin expensive.

There were a few years where we lived week to week. Had to borrow money off mum to finish Uni.

Hubby had 2 kids then we married and had 2.
2 grandkids now. 2nd daughter just married (don't mention the cost of weddings). Daughter number 3 getting close.

Would I be financially better off if we didn't have kids. Yep.

Would we be richer. No. (but you know that Gordon). ;);)

If I had patience I would have had more (especially if they didn't take 18 months to sleep through the night).:D

Back