Are tenants getting a bit too fussy?

Just wanted to share something that I find rather strange.

We have a house vacant right now, and have it with a local agent to find us a tenant. One lady went through, loved the house and wanted to take her husband through.

Second inspection was good but they have decided not to take it because their huge water maker fridge will not fit in the space for the fridge :eek:. They would be renting only while their house is built and there is an area just beside the kitchen where their fridge would sit quite easily and be no further away from the "work triangle" than the designated space.

These people are wanting to RENT the house, not BUY it. I cannot fathom how they will ever find a place that ticks all their boxes. They might find a house with a large enough space for their fridge, but what if it has some other thing that they don't like, maybe the colour of the kitchen benches :rolleyes:.

I just don't understand.

Another couple who saw it a couple of times loved it, but the deciding factor for them was that from one window they could see the longish grass in the back yard of the house next door, and they didn't want that. The grass needed mowing.... do these people not realise grass gets long after lots of rain? This particular window is not in the living area and is the only place where this yard can be seen, and then only if you are actually standing there or heading to the stairwell. It is such a petty issue, I just shook my head (so did the agent :p). Could they not just put the blind down if a bit of long grass is so offensive to them?

Does anybody else find that expectations are getting ridiculously high for someone who is only going to RENT the place for a short time. Sheesh!!

Wylie,

IMO, you're better off without tenants like these. If they are like that before they've paid you any money, imagine what they'd be like after they move in :eek:

Absolutely agree. I'm glad they will not be taking it, because I had the exact same thoughts.

But it just amazes me that these people cannot relax their exacting attitudes for six months or a year.

I really think we have avoided a bad case of "princess tenants", but I was just a bit surprised at the reasons the house was not good enough for them.

Ew. Fussy tenants...
Just be thankful you didn't put them in your property... "my fridge doesnt fit and we need to break the lease"
Or constant whinging about the neighbours not mowing, and of course, they would expect you to remedy this!
painful.

Just wanted to share something that I find rather strange.

We have a house vacant right now, and have it with a local agent to find us a tenant. One lady went through, loved the house and wanted to take her husband through.

Second inspection was good but they have decided not to take it because their huge water maker fridge will not fit in the space for the fridge :eek:. They would be renting only while their house is built and there is an area just beside the kitchen where their fridge would sit quite easily and be no further away from the "work triangle" than the designated space.

These people are wanting to RENT the house, not BUY it. I cannot fathom how they will ever find a place that ticks all their boxes. They might find a house with a large enough space for their fridge, but what if it has some other thing that they don't like, maybe the colour of the kitchen benches :rolleyes:.

I just don't understand.

Another couple who saw it a couple of times loved it, but the deciding factor for them was that from one window they could see the longish grass in the back yard of the house next door, and they didn't want that. The grass needed mowing.... do these people not realise grass gets long after lots of rain? This particular window is not in the living area and is the only place where this yard can be seen, and then only if you are actually standing there or heading to the stairwell. It is such a petty issue, I just shook my head (so did the agent :p). Could they not just put the blind down if a bit of long grass is so offensive to them?

Does anybody else find that expectations are getting ridiculously high for someone who is only going to RENT the place for a short time. Sheesh!!

Is it really that important to understand why ? They just dont think your place is as fantstic as you do. Obviously they think they can get better value - no, not better than YOUR place, impossible !

I love my car, most of my friends think its just ok - are they wrong ? am I ? does it matter ?! You can call them petty, I call my friends stupid, you can even believe it, but I've found it doesn't actually change much.

Is it really that important to understand why ? They just dont think your place is as fantstic as you do. Obviously they think they can get better value - no, not better than YOUR place, impossible !

No. I couldn't really care less. I just find it interesting that they will pick on such little things when it is a short term rental. They are looking for perfection. Good luck to them.

I also didn't say this place was fantastic, though it is rather fantastic. They can get much better if they wish to pay much more :D.

I love my car, most of my friends think its just ok - are they wrong ? am I ? does it matter ?! You can call them petty, I call my friends stupid, you can even believe it, but I've found it doesn't actually change much.

Ahhhhh!! But the difference is that they are not BUYING the place, but plan on living there temporarily while they build their own palace. Would love to be their builder :rolleyes:.

As I said, I couldn't really give a toss if they pick on such stupid little things. Thank goodness I am not married to one of them :p.

And I am not really having a "full on" whinge, but really just kind of interested in how some people's minds work.

It's amazing the value some people place on such trivial things when searching for property (to rent or buy). This usually comes down to one of two things:

1. They genuinely value that trivial thing

2. They feel pressured to give an agent an excuse why the property doesn't suit them. Often they pinpoint something as their reason that may not even be the true one. People often don't like to be direct and find it much easier to say "My fridge doesn't fit" than they don't like the place.

My experience has told me #2 is often the real reason, however #1 certainly does come along.

As has been mentioned, i think it's a good screening process to have these people gone before they even begin a lease!

I certainly agree. Both these instances came about on second inspections though, so if they just didn't like it or thought it was too expensive, surely they wouldn't bother coming back??

Anyway, I didn't want to start an "issue" about it, but just thought it was odd. This is a high end property, and the folks were certainly not looking for a cheapie, but really, I just found it laughable.

Ah huh! A high end property would have some higher expectations and therefore possibly a few more "unreasonable" people viewing it, I would imagine.

Good luck with it Wylie, I'm sure the right tenant will love it soon enough.

Regards JO

If they're a couple my guess would be that one person really likes the place, therefore the second viewing, while the other person isn't so keen and is tagging along but looking for reasons to convince the spouse/partner that another place is the right one. As a matter of interest were these viewings at an open house or booked through the PM?

It even happens with applications. I don't know if it's still happening but when rentals were in short supply I heard of some people putting in multiple applications in the hope of getting at least one accepted. When they did they made up all sort of trivial excuses to cancel the other applications.

Hi Josko. You are correct. And somebody will love it. There are two inspections booked for tomorrow.

Hi Alplant. You are also correct. Actually three lots of lookers have come back for second inspections. Two of these brought spouses for the second inspection who found the "problems".

Third lot both came both times, and were deciding between this house and one other.

And I was worried I couldn't rent my house out because it is next door to a noisy drug dealer :rolleyes:

We have a property currently for rent opposite a burnt out Housing Department house.

Undoubtly the HC will take months to put the property on the market and then there will be many more months before a reasonable structure is put in place.

In the meantime there is no rent coming in. Not happy. :(

Regards

Andrew

I have a high end Waterfront property in Queensland.

People expect alot but then I expect alot of rent. It gets to me sometimes when ridiculous things are pointed out too. It sounds like you have got a few interested parties anyway. Goodluck with it.

Back