Are you an Entrepreneur?

A few weeks ago I had to sit through all the formal stuff of my daughters formal ball which involved over 100 year 11 Kids . Each time there is the usual spiel about what their interests are , uni plans and life ambitions and the rest of it .

You know , not one of these kids wanted to start a business or do anything a little risky . Well , a couple of the girls wanted to marry billionaires but that's about as exciting as it got . I just wanted to hear someone say how they would start a business and take it public and no ones going to stop me get out of the way .. But no . Guess I'm just getting older and grumpier .

Very true pursefattener, they don't teach this in schools. Shame.

I think it's relatively easy to be an entrepreneur . It's an interesting word . Often confused with speculator .

I would describe someone like Nathan Tinkler as more of a speculator . Generally I would describe someone who starts businesses from scratch as an entrepreneur .

A friend of ours has started up a pet shop from scratch about two years ago and is doing really well . I would describe her as an entrepreneur . Most other family told her she would fail and should go out and get a proper job bla bla bla . Now most of them have green eyes . She is expanding into other lines and looking to start another shop nearby .
Anyone can start a business from scratch

Starting a successful business is far harder

Repeating the process is even harder

I consider an entrepreneur as to someone who can keep on repeating the cycle

Someone who builds a milk bar and just does that in my eyes is not an entrepreneur

And for me the term entrepreneur is like the word "intelligent "

You don't say it yourself, or you look like a try hard tool, and is only valid if others call you it

My 2 cents

Last edited:
You know , not one of these kids wanted to start a business or do anything a little risky.

A couple of similar discussions have cropped up on here lately. My suggestion that parents discourage their children from wasting time and money at University and encourage them to start businesses instead was met with... (mostly) less than positive replies.

I know a lot of people on here like to think they are set apart from 'the unwashed masses' because they invest in property, but their mindset is still very much the same as those they think they're better than.

A couple of similar discussions have cropped up on here lately. My suggestion that parents discourage their children from wasting time and money at University and encourage them to start businesses instead was met with... (mostly) less than positive replies.

I know a lot of people on here like to think they are set apart from 'the unwashed masses' because they invest in property, but their mindset is still very much the same as those they think they're better than.

[Kerry Packer] dismissed the idea of sending young James to university by saying "Why would he want to go there? To learn how to smoke marijuana?".

I agree with this actually, there is also more tall poppy syndrome on here than id like to see.

nhg, I'm of the view that most Uni courses can be done in an apprenticeship type manner. I absolutely believe that anyone will learn more from six months of on-the-job training than they learn in four years at University. With exceptions of course. Wouldn't want the guy doing a heart transplant to be learning as he goes, lol.

I showed my dad my business plan a few months ago.

He drew a giant M on it. Put a cross on it and drew an arrow going down.

He turned and looked me straight in the eye and told me that was the direction my life was heading since I dropped my masters 3 years ago.

I'd take him seriously, but he did something similar when I said I was gna buy lots of properties out west instead of an apartment in the city.

Uni was fun. That's about all the good things I have to say about it. I'll admit it made it easier to get the 6 figure salary job. But not everyone who had that job necessarily had a degree so I can't give it all the credit.

Uni was fun. That's about all the good things I have to say about it. I'll admit it made it easier to get the 6 figure salary job. But not everyone who had that job necessarily had a degree so I can't give it all the credit.

Yep. That's the unfortunate truth of it. Agree that you'd get more out of a 6 month apprenticeship than a degree, but many companies look at who's got a degree and then decide who they're going to give their 6 month apprenticeship too. A degree is really just a foot in the door theses days, but without it most wont get that opportunity. My bro was applying for graduate positions at large corp's but still had one uni subject to complete, they wouldn't touch him until the subject was finished - what hope does someone with no degree have.

Anyone can start a business from scratch

Starting a successful business is far harder

Repeating the process is even harder

I consider an entrepreneur as to someone who can keep on repeating the cycle

Someone who builds a milk bar and just does that in my eyes is an entrepreneur

And for me the term entrepreneur is like the word "intelligent "

You don't say it yourself, or you look like a try hard tool, and is only valid if others call you it

My 2 cents

I agree with the try hard tool bit but I like to see someone deal with failure too . When I read biographies or memoirs of business people I like all the juicy stuff about how they were down in the gutter and kicked in the guts so to speak .

Some of our well known Jewish family's who escaped they horrors of Europe and landed here with two bob to spare come to mind .

I would say I meet a lot of entrepreneurs, but that is more related to my business. My business partner is director of a Venture Capital firm. A lot of my developer clients I would class as entrepreneurs also. A smaller percentage of the property investors I deal with are also entrepreneurs but not because of the property side but in their day job. One of my clients has been doing business with the Chinese since the 1960's and now has a large and varied number of businesses that both import to and export from China. Starting in that area so early is amazing.

Agree that you'd get more out of a 6 month apprenticeship than a degree, but many companies look at who's got a degree and then decide who they're going to give their 6 month apprenticeship too.

jackbak, I meant an apprenticeship in place of a degree. The apprenticeship can be as long as it needs to be. So instead of going to Uni, you'd have the kids going into things like accounting, finance, business, law, etc. straight out of high school.

Liberal Arts degrees like sculpting, painting, art history, literature, etc would just be scrapped entirely and acknowledged for the useless crap they are. Oh, you want to learn how to paint? Then just buy some paints! You like reading highbrow fiction? Go to the library and borrow some books!

You can actually still do law through an apprentice type system. Big exams though. Would be so much better then uni

No you could do an apprenticeship type arrangement under a solicitor but then have to do external exams along the way.

Was only a very small percentage, I assume can still be done but can't remember who through in pre- origin mode. I have a paralegal that it would suit so need to investigate.

I WAS a Entrepreneur :rolleyes:

@ Primary school: I bought small tiny fish for cheap price, grow them for 6 months and sold them for a hefty profit... at least 100% profit :)

@ Higher school: This was the handheld game period. Other student gave me their broken games. I took them home, fixed them, played them for a week and then charged them for fixing them :)

Then I moved to Australia and all over :p

I showed my dad my business plan a few months ago.

He drew a giant M on it. Put a cross on it and drew an arrow going down.

He turned and looked me straight in the eye and told me that was the direction my life was heading since I dropped my masters 3 years ago.

I'd take him seriously, but he did something similar when I said I was gna buy lots of properties out west instead of an apartment in the city.

Whats your actual business
Is it a broker to organise a broker?
I dont understand why someone would come to you to organise those services listed

Whats your actual business
Is it a broker to organise a broker?
I dont understand why someone would come to you to organise those services listed

After I started I found a lot of people do it in some form.

Jims (mowing, pet wash, brokering)
General Trades
Right Property
Binvested.

Not everyone wants to call around hoping to find people they can trust to do all types of work. I use people I've screened when doing my own investments and negotiate lower rates with them. My commission comes out from that lower amount too.

When people use me I take responsibility to make sure the work is done the way I would want it to be done for me. Quality, affordable and hassle free.

Also I bridge the gap between investor and trades, offering advice to clients on how to get more bang for their investment buck

I'm still finding my niche which seems to be trades (especially painting of all types) and project management. I'm following a model I learnt from an owner of Raine and Horne and a few other mentors. It's still evolving and I've had to turn down a few $100k in work due to my lack of experience which I'm working to remedy.

So far last 6 months I've done a few renos, lots and lots of painting (roofs, exterior, interior, stencil), a handful of mitre 10 renos. Been asked to renovate a few yoghurberrys and large restaurants, build houses and undertake extensive resi renovations which I turned down due to lack of experience at this time.

Philanthropy is a really big deal in America. By all accounts, not so much here. But over there, publicly declaring your intention to give to charity is applauded, whereas over here, people tend to think you're a bit of a w.nker if you publicise it.

Back