Are you taken seriously or are you ignored?

no, not a time waster or a beginner, although my portfolio isn't that big compared to others here. I've bought 2 properties in this suburb in the past 6 months, one of which I did a complete Reno and sold just before Christmas.

And why is the agent you sold that through not giving you the inside track on his or her new listings so you don't need to compete with the masses?. Say a few lines of crapola to pander to their venality:

" The agent that gets me the property gets the sale listing...."

" I will need an agent to list my current property when I buy my next one"

And why is the agent you sold that through not giving you the inside track on his or her new listings so you don't need to compete with the masses?. Say a few lines of crapola to pander to their venality:

" The agent that gets me the property gets the sale listing...."

" I will need an agent to list my current property when I buy my next one"

Yep, already doing that. Had a few suddenly take notice when they found out I had a property on the market. Told then I'm loyal to the agents that look out fig properties for me.

When I was younger I used to love walking into clothing stores to spend up big on suits but wearing a sundress and thongs. Was nice not being hassled by the sales girl so I suppose this is the same attitude to property but on a bigger scale.

WOW "Invisible Woman"!

Just add a "mute" button and you could be a real Super Hero!:rolleyes:

Just joking!

Seriously, don't put up with this or any other crap, but likewise don't expect some slimey REA to change his spots ??. Use your invisibility to YOUR advantage.

Ouch.

I do use it to my advantage wherever I can and have my own 'old boys' network of trusted professionals.

Selling houses - agents ignored me

When we used to go house hunting, the agents without fail would ignore me and talk to the wife, trying to sell the benefits and convince her to make that emotional buying decision.

Their assumptions learnt at sales training school were just slightly off the mark.

:eek:I don't talk to the agents when viewing homes, my partner does all the talking, because unfortunately I have "foot and mouth" disease.

Like WM, I have my own agents that I deal with and it generally all happens over the phone, I like it this way.:)

Ha. I went to an open inspection a couple of weeks ago on a Sat morning. I was looking a bit daggy, dressed in an old pair of shorts, t-shirt, sandals and sporting a 2 day growth.

I got the distinct impression the pretty, immaculately dressed, but very snooty agent, was not taking me seriously. She kind of looked down her nose at me and asked, 'Is this property in your price range?" Soon after I made an offer over the price range in writing. She called later and said mine was the highest offer. In the end I turned it down as the vendor needed a 120 day settlement, which simply does not work for me. I hope she learned something that day.

I encounter this kind of behaviour in about 20% of REAs.

If I turn up in a suit they all fawn. It's all a bit silly really.

I spent my younger years being ignored , and when I wasn't , wishing I had been ....

Red hair and glasses seemed to have that effect ( not your typical alpha male more the nerd in the corner ) so I'd be ignored at the open houses and the car dealerships etc

A while ago I worked out that I didn't want to waste my time waiting for them to come to me so when I walk in somewhere now , I'll just walk up to the agent or reception and say what I'm looking for with an associated spiel to let them know I'm serious . With an open house it may not be " I'm here to buy a property now ". It might be " we have an investment property down the road and we checking out the market with a view to buying another "

Or " we have investment properties and we like to keep an eye out on what is happening "

Or Last year in Brisbane " we up here for three days , and we are looking to buy properties in our SMSF , we have finance approved . We're checking out the market , how much do you expect this to go for " .

Most people ( including sales reps ) are less than perfect and generally lazy .
You can't change them , but you can change how you interact with them.

Rather than complaining , Give them a reason and some information not to be lazy and see how they respond . Some will surprise you , some will have already reached their level of incompetence .

Cliff

Perception is everything. Dress up or dress down inline with what you want to achieve and behave accordingly.

Last edited:
Generally these sort of agents are losers....they miss a lot of their potential market. Ever notice that when the market is strong a lot of agents become arrogant ******s.

BG...I hear you about agents from a certain parts of the world. I find the Mediterannean/Middle Eastern types particularly interesting.....

If you are a women the best way to handle them is to be polite but straight to business and don't take shooitte.....tell that you have renovate and sold 10 properties in the area over the last 3 years...and looking to buy another.

If this does not work..then you need to get a male to come with you and you will have to instruct him. :mad:

These days very few ignore me...and I dress down....my GF thinks I am very confident.

Hey beachgurl,

I have an actual message on my mobile from an agent that I was chasing for more infomation regarding a property that I was interested in:

"...please have your husband call me as I only talk to the man of the house"

Priceless.

Hey beachgurl,

I have an actual message on my mobile from an agent that I was chasing for more infomation regarding a property that I was interested in:

Priceless.

What the hell? That's messed up.

I've heard some real shockers (which is terrible in itself) but never directly said to a woman.

I would have replied back "please have your boss call me as I dont talk to d&@#heads"

Hey beachgurl,

Priceless.

That's seriously bad .

Not sure whether we'd just silently ignore it and vow not to have anything to do with that agent , or ring up as the " man of the house " and have a few words along the line of " my wife is the one in this house who looks after after our investment properties and it her decision not to have anything to do with you , so thinks but no thanks " .

Other options would be to contact the vendor and tell them what happened .

Other option would be to accept there are di...heads out there and what we do is unlikely to change them. Bad agents offer an opportunity to make good buys. Someone with the lack of judgement that the agent showed with you is unlikely to be an isolated incident .

They talk about the three D's . I've added a forth D . Depression and it doesn't just apply to the vendor , but can apply to the agent . Our best buy in rocky was through an agent who was badly depressed .

We showed up to look at a property to be told that it was no longer available . I asked if there any else for sale and he said no . I asked what about that one in the window . Oh ... That one ...yeah ... That's for sale .
How long has it been for sale ? Mmm ... About three months
How many people have seen it ? Mmm ... I haven't showed anyone that yet ...

We got to know the agent quite well and a few months later when he was being treated for his depression he made the comment to " you got a really good deal with ......."

Cliff

If you wanted to be nasty , you could forward the message to the principle of the agency , but the agent does know who you are and has you contact details ...

I had a patient who was head of a bikie group and was in workers comp . The insurance company had a PI follow him . After about ten mins of surveillance he rang up the company and said " who the f.... Have you got me following , I'm out side his house and there are guns pointing at my car .... "

Cliff

Are you being ignored?...

LOL...REA snobbery !

yE6koeH.gif

;)

Can't say I am sympathetic to the insurance company....most of these insurance companies are parasites will take the cash but won't pay.

They seem to have the Dazz was of doing things....

If you wanted to be nasty , you could forward the message to the principle of the agency , but the agent does know who you are and has you contact details ...

I had a patient who was head of a bikie group and was in workers comp . The insurance company had a PI follow him . After about ten mins of surveillance he rang up the company and said " who the f.... Have you got me following , I'm out side his house and there are guns pointing at my car .... "

Cliff

I would have replied back "please have your boss call me as I dont talk to d&@#heads"

Yeah this.

I get handed the rental sheets a bit. I go dressed casual, often have my rug rats with me. I think assumptions are possibly made but once they speak to me, they quickly see otherwise :p

Back