As a Landlord, what is the tightest thing you've done in 2013?

As a landlord, what is the most tight a-s-s thing you've done to a tenant in 2013, that would crown you a gold medal in SS, but burn in hell from tenant perspective..

As for me, I just walked off a studio/garage conversion to a granny flat. It's similar to a battle axe arrangement with front house and granny flat at the back. There is an existing circular clothes line that sit right in the middle of yard. To remove this and add 1 each wall mounted clothes line for each dwelling would probably cost me around $1000.

Instead, I opt to put a fencing partition to separate the front house and granny flat, right in the middle of the circular clothes line, bracket mounted arms so it can not be rotated and took the handle off so it can't go up or down..:D

Love to hear your tight a-s-s landlord stories to end a wonderful year.

we have stopped changing smoke alarm batteries and now started taking every second strand of copper out of the wiring and selling it for scrap.

Actually at the moment we are in a holding pattern so haven't done any work on the places aside from maintenance.

I suspected a tradie one of my PMs was using was playing a bit fast and loose with maintenance work, so I started using the phrase 'please provide a quote, and based on that I will decide whether to go ahead or seek alternate quotes'.

Seems to have worked out OK.

we have stopped changing smoke alarm batteries and now started taking every second strand of copper out of the wiring and selling it for scrap.

Actually at the moment we are in a holding pattern so haven't done any work on the places aside from maintenance.

What's a smoke alarm?

When I go to an IP to look at repair work, I steal the roof tiles one at a time and sell them on ebay to pay for the repairs.

Unfortunately I now have a roof to repair, so I may need to start with the floorboard removal next to pay for it.

IP maintenance, its a never ending cycle

When I go to an IP to look at repair work, I steal the roof tiles one at a time and sell them on ebay to pay for the repairs.

Waiting around for ebay takes too long. I just keep tenants wife hostage til husband pays for repairs and PM fees.

Tenants moved into a house which needed further renovation and they knew it as well. But no requests or complaints from them yet and I haven't bothered to renovate (yet). :cool:

I don't know whether I will rent a house to a SS member. But I definitely know now which landlords to stay away when it comes to renting one from. :D

Didn't fix a roof which was well and truly past its time. probably 5 years past its time if I was upfront.

Fortunately, I will finally have a new years resolution that I can finally keep and its been replaced in jan 2014.

Let myself in while tenants were away,stole all of their furniture and replaced it with exact replicas.............;)

Tenants moved into a house which needed further renovation and they knew it as well. But no requests or complaints from them yet and I haven't bothered to renovate (yet). :cool:

Admission time :)
I bought a house where there was concrete cancer over the garage door so when you pulled up the door bits of large concrete chunks would rain on you - so I fixed that - hello sledge hammer.
When I asked the tenants (who were staying) why there was only one tap handle on the shower and how they turned on the hot water they showed me how they took the handle off the cold, slid it onto the hot and turned with that.
I've had no request to fix that so I haven't :cool:
I'm going to demolish in the next 18mths so I don't want to spend money on it

Admission time :)

When I asked the tenants (who were staying) why there was only one tap handle on the shower and how they turned on the hot water they showed me how they took the handle off the cold, slid it onto the hot and turned with that.
I've had no request to fix that so I haven't :cool:

Oh! that is tight as. The fact that your tenant haven't requested is one thing, but you actually saw it in front of your eyes...
You have 2 days till end of year, I hope you are thinking of him/her when you're taking a shower :D

So often this happens, esp with new tenants they request this and that to be fixed up. You try to be kind and say you will get quotes and get it fixed... Quotes arrived, you sit on it for a while. Tenants didn't follow up or you chose to ignore....arhh all is well.

I just had an unbelievable who refused to report faults and fixed faults herself without reporting them. Some examples:
1) gas hws system pilot light kept going out and the hws had the be restarted. I ended up finding out and fixing the hws while she was away because her dad reported the fault when visiting the property. Apparently this had been going on for 4 months.
2) shower drain not draining properly. Tenant's solution was to turn off the water during the shower to allow the water to drain and then resumed showering when the water had drained. The tenant ended up reporting this when winter hit and she started getting cold standing there waiting for the water to drain. This had been going on for months as well.
3) tenant's dogs smashed out the cladding on the back verandah and tenant bought and installed plastic sheeting without reporting the damage. I ended up at the magistrates court over damage to the property and got the cost of materials to repair the damage out of the bond. So she paid for that one twice really.

You don't have to be a tight landlord when you have a stupid tenant.

Not exactly as a landlord doing something to a tenant but I am currently doing the tightest renovation ever on the above property.

Here are some of the tighest things I have done for this reno:
1) new bathroom vanity cabinet worth $180 in gumtree for $35 negotiable. Offered $30 and got it.
2) secondhand kitchen in gumtree including sink, oven and stove - completely different original design to install in the rental so some of the cabinets overlap other cabinet doors. Solution was to screw the overlapped doors from the inside so they cant be opened.
3) $150 rangehood flue extension brand new in gumtree for $35 negotiable. Offered $30 and got it for that.
4) Carpet tiles for the whole house $100 from a mate.
5) Using oil based paint from the shed to paint the whole house inside and out. I just went down to bunnos to get a couple of tins tinted for the trim. I know it's unconventional to put oil paint on the walls but that stuff amazing. It scrubs clean no worries so I guess I did my next tenant a favour.
6) Pavers for the back area free from gumtree but I had to pay for installation because I hate paving.

Back