Australian Dollar

It's happened for 200 years Ausprop. Not much anyone can do about it. A lower dollar helps all the other wealth producing parts of the economy become more competitive with everyone else in the world. Our labour effectively gets cheaper, so our manufacturing industries come alive again.

And of course it was the high dollar which finished off Australia's auto industry.

It really is a good thing our dollar drops in between commodity booms.

See ya's.

yeh mass manufacturing has gone so nothing to revive there. and if they were relying in a drop in prices to be competitive then god help them because this can never be a price based manufacturing economy. Sell something people want or need, not just stuff that's cheap, leave that for developing economies.

I disagree that there are any other flow on benefits. In fact farming is about the only beneficiary that I can think of and that is mostly temporary anyway whilst it surges ahead relatively but in real terms falls behind. And most resources are foreign owned anyway

LOL - then it there would be screams of blue murder re diesel prices and a new diesel fuel subsidy would be required

Yes I can see the anti farming lobby really ramping up their cause if that were to happen . As far as fuel goes that may actually be a good thing and drive business into new energy sources .

Too bad for the domestic consumer though .

It would be great if it gets down to 35 cents so the farmers can get wealthier and won't need any govt handouts.

Everyone else can get the dole if they lose their job and have no money. So 97% of Australia's population is entitled to the dole? Surely some farmer if he has no money to feed his family should be able to get it too? Only difference though is the 97% of everyone else can get it even if they own a 10 million dollar house. At least farmers only get it if they qualify by by having less than a certain dollar of assets. How it should be.

See ya's.

Everyone else can get the dole if they lose their job and have no money. So 97% of Australia's population is entitled to the dole? Surely some farmer if he has no money to feed his family should be able to get it too? Only difference though is the 97% of everyone else can get it even if they own a 10 million dollar house. At least farmers only get it if they qualify by by having less than a certain dollar of assets. How it should be.

See ya's.

So if a farmer isn't making any money and doesn't have any assets then he can't get the dole like everyone else? And someone who is unemployed and living in their $10m home is eligible for the dole? I thought all Aussies including farmers could get the dole if they lose their job and have no money/assets?

Anyway I think the AUD has been oversold and should be sitting around 90-95 cents. Parity or above is better. A higher AUD benefits more people in Oz than a lower dollar. People should be careful what they wish for when they want a lower AUD.. what if it went to 24-28 cents? Would that be good? Is 50 cents good? How about 60-65 cents? People look at the average of 72 cents and say it should be there but the world has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years with the GFC, fractional banking, globalization etc.

If we want to buy good Australian produce, we should be supporting our farmers and we simply don't. Whilst Europe and the US support their farmers, we leave ours out to dry.

Nomadic, to get the dole you have to pass the asset and income test. Your PPOR is exempt from the asset test even if its a $10m house. A farmer may find it hard to pass the asset test because their farm is worth too much moola. Even though the farm is their PPOR it cant all be exempt. Having said that primary producers do get other govt benefits and assistance which can run into tens of thousands of dollars (seen it first hand).

If we want to buy good Australian produce, we should be supporting our farmers and we simply don't. Whilst Europe and the US support their farmers, we leave ours out to dry.

That's a personal decision you can make every time you buy groceries. I pay extra for free range eggs so why don't you pay extra for Australian produce? The problem is most people want to save money and will buy the cheapest product if quality is the same. I think Abbot has a lot to answer for if he hasn't made any reforms to protect farmers?

Nomadic, to get the dole you have to pass the asset and income test. Your PPOR is exempt from the asset test even if its a $10m house. A farmer may find it hard to pass the asset test because their farm is worth too much moola. Even though the farm is their PPOR it cant all be exempt. Having said that primary producers do get other govt benefits and assistance which can run into tens of thousands of dollars (seen it first hand).

Maybe the govt decided that their extra handouts / benefits / assistance / subsidies given to farmers offsets this? A farm is income producing but a PPOR is not so I can see why this rule is fair.

I only every buy Australian produce. Simple. I don't care where it's from--if it's not Australian I don't buy it. I know the standards our farmers are held to. Australian produce is second to none--some of the best and cleanest in the world (I personally think it is the best and cleanest in the world). I buy free range eggs too. Not sure what your point is Nomadic.

I only every buy Australian produce. Simple. I don't care where it's from--if it's not Australian I don't buy it. I know the standards our farmers are held to. Australian produce is second to none--some of the best and cleanest in the world (I personally think it is the best and cleanest in the world). I buy free range eggs too. Not sure what your point is Nomadic.

You said this:
What was your point?

So if a farmer isn't making any money and doesn't have any assets then he can't get the dole like everyone else? And someone who is unemployed and living in their $10m home is eligible for the dole? I thought all Aussies including farmers could get the dole if they lose their job and have no money/assets?

Anyway I think the AUD has been oversold and should be sitting around 90-95 cents. Parity or above is better. A higher AUD benefits more people in Oz than a lower dollar. People should be careful what they wish for when they want a lower AUD.. what if it went to 24-28 cents? Would that be good? Is 50 cents good? How about 60-65 cents? People look at the average of 72 cents and say it should be there but the world has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years with the GFC, fractional banking, globalization etc.

What's yours?

Generally, a farmer will 'own' their farm, whether it is 10 ha or 10000ha. Only the first 2000 m2 is classed as their home, the rest is a business asset. So the farmer is ineligible for the dole if they aren't earning.

Yes 72c is the historical average & it has dropped to 48c at it lowest. A low AUD benefits our exporters ie mining, farming, inbound tourism, education sector etc. We are an overpaid nation with a high standard of living so the one way that our exporters can make money without affecting our standard of living is to have a low dollar, this affects the cost of our imports (think tv sets & all manufactured goods, petrol etc as well as making OS travel more expensive.

What's yours?

What's what? Please clarify by using full sentences otherwise things become ambiguous. However I think you were trying to enunciate "What is my point?" but you made that in reply to a post which you quoted which has nothing to do with your intended question.

To clarify, you wrote: "If we want to buy good Australian produce, we should be supporting our farmers and we simply don't. Whilst Europe and the US support their farmers, we leave ours out to dry."

And I replied: "That's a personal decision you can make every time you buy groceries. I pay extra for free range eggs so why don't you pay extra for Australian produce? The problem is most people want to save money and will buy the cheapest product if quality is the same."

You then replied: "I only every buy Australian produce. Simple. I don't care where it's from--if it's not Australian I don't buy it. I know the standards our farmers are held to. Australian produce is second to none--some of the best and cleanest in the world (I personally think it is the best and cleanest in the world). I buy free range eggs too. Not sure what your point is Nomadic.

My point is that you have a choice if you want to buy Australian produce. So what is your point?

We are an overpaid nation with a high standard of living so the one way that our exporters can make money without affecting our standard of living is to have a low dollar, this affects the cost of our imports (think tv sets & all manufactured goods, petrol etc as well as making OS travel more expensive.

I agree that a high AUD favours importers and a low AUD favours exporters but I think a higher AUD is better for the country overall and benefits more people/jobs/industries than a lower AUD.

I don't see the dollar going above parity for a while . I'm care ful what I wish for and Yes , i wish for a very low dollar and yes 24-28 cents would be fine .

In fact I would like to see a good solid recession with higher unemployment for the opportunitys that may present . Too many Australians have become soft and don't want to work .

I don't care if fuel is $5 a litre or a plasma TV is 5k . I don't care if unemployment is 20% .

Who's grumpy? My point is exactly what I said: my choice is to buy Australian.

I'm not grumpy, what makes you think that? I was asking you what your point was after you asked me the same question even though I clearly wrote why. Or maybe it was something to do with the free range eggs?

I don't see the dollar going above parity for a while . I'm care ful what I wish for and Yes , i wish for a very low dollar and yes 24-28 cents would be fine .

In fact I would like to see a good solid recession with higher unemployment for the opportunitys that may present . Too many Australians have become soft and don't want to work .

I don't care if fuel is $5 a litre or a plasma TV is 5k . I don't care if unemployment is 20% .

Maybe if it goes to 15-18 cents that would be even better for you? Petrol at $5 a litre wouldn't affect you because you'd get a fuel subsidy from the govt.

Last edited:
I agree that a high AUD favours importers and a low AUD favours exporters but I think a higher AUD is better for the country overall and benefits more people/jobs/industries than a lower AUD.

If we have a higher dollar our exporters suffer so does manufacturing (or what's left of it) as the cost of the inputs is higher. With a high dollar we are importing more and our retailers suffer as we race to the bottom. It doesn't create jobs it drains money from the economy to send it overseas whether it be through imports or through travel.

Maybe if it goes to 15-18 cents that would be even better for you? Petrol at $5 a litre wouldn't affect you because you'd get a fuel subsidy from the govt.

It's not a subsidy. Fuels are taxed so that the government can use the money to spend on roads. So farmers, fisherman, and miners get the tax back from diesel as we don't use the roads. If we didn't get this back, I would be subsidising you.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-offroad-is-fair/story-e6frg9qo-1226912389434

See ya's.

Back